Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedYes vs Flash

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 19:35
Thanks! Don't know why,, but I got a notification from progarchives in my email inbox from an old thread, then discovered this one.

Looks like life goes on here as always...
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 19:40
yeah... the days of forum excitement are long gone ...  same old same old around here. Good to see you around still flying the Flash flag...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
sherrynoland View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 19:53
I'll always be a fan, but Flash is no more. 

They were invited to play at Progtoberfest 2018 and Ray had to decline because Colin said he's no longer interested. 

Colin has just finished a solo album, his first, and Ray has one on the way, his second.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 22:35
Never listened Flash, because Iīve read about that they never rised into level of Yes.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 01 2018 at 23:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Never listened Flash, because Iīve read about that they never rised into level of Yes.

No, the songs were nowhere near as strong. The playing's ok but overall a footnote to Yes. Oddly a bit like the solo albums...

Now I just have get over the idea of Heart Of The Sunrise being mechanical (Flash may be a footnote but the critics are the toilet paper]

....and onto those 6 ft blondes mentioned earlier...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 02:23

so because you just read that, you never tried listening to them. Are other people's opinion so important that you won't make your own, see things for yourself?

I'm quite the opposite of that. I just have that curiosity to see things for myself. Even with low rated album, I'm thinking "how bad can it be?". Sometimes it is bad, but other times quite the opposite (LOL). 
I take every album for what it has to offer...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 12:11
^ Yeah, but when you are discovering music, you can't listen to everything that exists all at once, so you have to choose were to go next and what to dedicate your time, and money, into. So, if you read something is not good, and you believe it, well, why wast your time? Or at least you may leave it for later and go with something that seems more appealing at the moment. And yeah, it has even happened to me that I read negative reviews of something and I go like, well, it sounds like the things this guy dislikes of that album are just the ones I would like, and makes me want to check it out instead of discouraging me.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 14:38
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

^ Yeah, but when you are discovering music, you can't listen to everything that exists all at once, so you have to choose were to go next and what to dedicate your time, and money, into. So, if you read something is not good, and you believe it, well, why wast your time? Or at least you may leave it for later and go with something that seems more appealing at the moment. And yeah, it has even happened to me that I read negative reviews of something and I go like, well, it sounds like the things this guy dislikes of that album are just the ones I would like, and makes me want to check it out instead of discouraging me.
I am thinking quite like this. Just havenīt got time to check out everything, because there are just so much interesting music in the world. Also, really havenīt anybody even here said Flash is something everybody should check. But of course, found out great music accidentally and also some albums, that some reviewer hasnīt found great...
Upbeat Tango Monday View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 18:21
I prefer Daredevil
Jokes aside, Flash is kind of "meh". I like Starcastle way more, so there's that.

About Rolling Stone magazine (and Banks) calling Yes "show-offs that do things to impress people", well, that's much better than being lazy f*cks and playing half-assed music. Technique/skills and feels are not polar opposites, it's not one or the other. Yes displayed both, without a doubt.

Two random guys agreed to shake hands. Just Because. They felt like it, you know. It was an agreement of sorts...a random agreement.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 21:22

I am thinking quite like this. Just havenīt got time to check out everything, because there are just so much interesting music in the world. Also, really havenīt anybody even here said Flash is something everybody should check. But of course, found out great music accidentally and also some albums, that some reviewer hasnīt found great...

For what it's worth, I found the first Flash album at least worth knowing. The two songs I liked better were "Small Beginnings", and then "Dreams of Heaven". You should at least give a good listen to the first one.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 02 2018 at 23:46

For what it's worth, I found the first Flash album at least worth knowing. The two songs I liked better were "Small Beginnings", and then "Dreams of Heaven". You should at least give a good listen to the first one.
So many albums that Iīve never listened and wanted to listen. Maybe Flash in my 60th birthday?
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 00:33

Here, give them a try!  This is original bassist Ray Bennett on 6-string guitar, and original vocalist Colin Carter, with a really good group of musicians.  Keep in mind, this was their first rehearsal together!  I think this is a fine rendition of a spirited song.

Tip o' the hat to Sherry Noland! 

I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 01:22
^not sounding bad but...maybe in my 60th birthday anyway! Though always liked a lot Banks playing in Yes.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 02:54
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Love those first two Flash albums. Great stuff. Kaye should have stuck around...

They're OK, and I also feel that Kaye should've stuck around to make the later albums more interesting, but in some ways, I think he did good not to overstay his welcome in Flash...

I'm currently in the process of reading Aymeric Leroy's book on Yes (in French), Banks seems/seemed to be a permanent grouch and a fairly disgruntled individual ... I can understand getting the boot from Yes can make you a sourpuss, but it wasn't only his guitar abilities that seemed to be a concern for Jon & Chris, but he was already misbehaving during the the T&aW sessions (he's rumoured to have stuck his guitar in the producer Coulton's face - a professional acquaintance of Jon) when the dude was trying to get something Jimmy-Page-esque out of Banks.

Banks has had bad relations with Yes (mainly Squire) right from the start, whereas Kaye didn't, maybe one of the resons why he was invited back. Maybe if Kaye had stuck around in Flash, this might've developped in worse relations with Yes than he's had since.

BTW: Banks apparently showed up with his guitar without being invited  at the Onion Union reformation concert in the early 90's, and Squire shoo-ed him away.

Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 05:15
Need to check out Flash. A band who somehow passed me by, despite their connections.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 11:53
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Love those first two Flash albums. Great stuff. Kaye should have stuck around...

BTW: Banks apparently showed up with his guitar without being invited  at the Onion Union reformation concert in the early 90's, and Squire shoo-ed him away.

This is controversial, I know of one person who claims to have known Banks and Yes, and he says that it was Howe who pulled the plug on Banks appearing at a Los Angeles appearance. 

Peter had a sorry history, with many friends and bandmates turning on him.  He died a lonely death in his London flat, leaving behind quite a bit of unreleased material.  

Flash was an early proponent of the "jam band" formula, pioneered by the Grateful Dead and later refined by bands such as Phish.  This is one of my favorite songs by them, from their second LP, "Flash In The Can."  Bassist Ray Bennett is excellent on Rickenbacker bass!  

Edited by cstack3 - March 03 2018 at 11:54
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 13:20
Only known live video of Flash performing at their first (and only) gig after the reunion—ProgDay 2010.

Ray Bennett, lead guitar and vocals
Colin Carter, vocals
Rick Dougherty, keyboards
Mark Pardy, drums
Wayne Carver, bass

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 14:32
Had no idea Flash ever existed, cstack3. Thanks for this bit o' history, and I'll be sure to look them up.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 15:28
Straight from the horse's mouth—here's a very candid, informal conversation with Ray and Colin at the start of the reunion in 2010 in which they discuss a bit of their history with Pete and Mike, and how they approach music and feel about the label 'progrock'.
Part 1:

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 03 2018 at 15:30
Part 2:

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>