Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells now has 1000 ratings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMike Oldfield's Tubular Bells now has 1000 ratings

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mike Oldfield's Tubular Bells now has 1000 ratings
    Posted: March 24 2017 at 12:47
I just noticed this landmark album album has 1000 ratings on here. I wonder if him appearing at the Olympics a few years ago raised his profile and if it made any difference.  Maybe not his best but a great album anyway. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 13:32
I either forgot or did not realize he made an Olympic appearance.....What event did he participate in?
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 13:46
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I either forgot or did not realize he made an Olympic appearance.....What event did he participate in?

The opening ceremony. Smile
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 14:21
Hmm...as I have said many times before I don't understand all the praise for Oldfield.
I find his music somewhat uninspired and even a  bit boring overall. As ambient background music I'll take ENO 
or Tangerine Dream over him.

One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 14:31
^I disagree. Listening to Hergest Ridge blew my mind much more than anything by Tangerine Dream. Though I won't scoff at Mr. Eno, because he's come close a few times.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 15:00
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Hmm...as I have said many times before I don't understand all the praise for Oldfield.
I find his music somewhat uninspired and even a  bit boring overall. As ambient background music I'll take ENO 

His stuff is not ambient at all, its not because rhere aint drums that it is. He is a great musician you should check him out further. My guess is you've heard his 3 first albums (all great) but I suggest you to listen to at least the first part of his 2017 album Return to Ommadawn, Oldfield at his finest.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 15:34
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

LOL
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 19:00
I've had TB for about 25 years and only listened to it, maybe, 4 or 5 times.....
I prefer Oldfield playing bass for Kevin Ayers
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 24 2017 at 19:18
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

LOL

LOL

As great as TB is, my favorite will always be Ommadawn.
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
zachfive View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 01:44
Absolutely love Oldfield. I even really enjoy his more "commercial" output, and find myself returning to that more than his early work. Discovery is a solid album from front to back, this face melter is from the eponymous track http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=twC9RHmFEjw. Earth Moving has some beautiful moments on it as well, Belew's vocals on Holy get me every time. Crisis and Five Miles Out have a great balance of commercial and experimental. Amarok is Oldfield at his absolute finest. As far as TB goes, well you'd be hard pressed to find more talent accumulated on one stage anywhere/anytime else. Hillage, Moerlen, Ratledge, Jenkins, Frith, and Mick Taylor. Music at its very finest.

Darious View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 03:15

Same here, I am afraid. All that I have to say about Oldfield and his works is that they are way overrated.
Writing about truth is a little bit like getting your dick out in public and hoping no one laughs (Steve Hogarth)
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 04:37
Why the freak is it necessary to review the hell out of one of the best known recordings of the 20th century. The opening worked well in the Exorcist but the rest of it is just a cluster of snippets. His best album was Crises. Just my two cents.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 08:15
Originally posted by Darious Darious wrote:

Same here, I am afraid. All that I have to say about Oldfield and his works is that they are way overrated.

Well, you can't please everyone. There's probably people who feel that way about Steven Wilson too. I think it all boils down to personal taste. For what he does though I don't think there are many(if any)artists who do it better. 
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 11:43
How many albums have >1000 ratings? Is there a possibility to see the albums ranked according to top number of ratings?
Apparently in the Top 100 there are more than 60 but down that list >1000 ratings become much rarer, so I guess there are perhaps 100-150 albums with >1000. It's not that exclusive a club.

I love Tubular Bells by the way. I even stole ideas from it.  
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 12:48
he's a top 10 artist for me for sure.  He hasn't always pleased me but overall I love him. and that includes stuff friom all eras.  The number of times he has reinvented himself alone is admirable.  But I actually generally enjoy the reinventions,

I think Five Miles out is my favorite.  It also revitalized his career and led to some bigger successes.

I've only listened to Return to Ommadawn once but it sounded good.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 13:50
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

How many albums have >1000 ratings? Is there a possibility to see the albums ranked according to top number of ratings?
Apparently in the Top 100 there are more than 60 but down that list >1000 ratings become much rarer, so I guess there are perhaps 100-150 albums with >1000. It's not that exclusive a club.

According to a search I just did there are currently 134 albums on here with 1000 or more ratings. Tubular Bells is ranked number 81 which actually isn't too bad. There are actually a lot more albums with 1000 than I expected. No it's not as exclusive as I thought. It would make a good list for those just new to prog though or those wanting a more complete list of the more "obvious prog albums." If we took out the metal there would be a lot few albums though.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 14:34

According to a search I just did there are currently 134 albums on here with 1000 or more ratings.

Thanks...but...
 Tubular Bells is ranked number 81 which actually isn't too bad.

Errr, what? If there are 134 albums with >=1000 rankings and Tubular Bells has just 1000, how can it be ranked 81? OK, Tubular Bells may have picked up one or two more ratings in the meantime but still, more than 50 albums at 1000-1002 or so?
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 14:38

Errr, what? If there are 134 albums with >=1000 rankings and Tubular Bells has just 1000, how can it be ranked 81? OK, Tubular Bells may have picked up one or two more ratings in the meantime but still, more than 50 albums at 1000-1002 or so?

He meant it has the 81st highest rating out of albums with 1000 votes or more, not that it's 81st in number of votes.

In fact, Tubular Bells currently has exactly 1000 ratings.

Edited by mechanicalflattery - March 25 2017 at 14:40
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 25 2017 at 15:14
Originally posted by mechanicalflattery mechanicalflattery wrote:

He meant it has the 81st highest rating out of albums with 1000 votes or more, not that it's 81st in number of votes.

In fact, Tubular Bells currently has exactly 1000 ratings.

Yep. That's exactly what I meant. :) 
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 26 2017 at 12:04

I can only speak for myself, but what I love about Oldfield is his melodic sense, which is why I also appreciate Camel, Gordon Giltrap, Anthony Phillips and Vangelis. I enjoy listening to progressive music with catchy hooks that get stuck in my head. I like discovering new music as much as the next prog fan, but at the same time I know it's counterproductive to force myself to like an album that doesn't "click" by repeated listening.

I readily admit that such melodic music is much more accessible and less challenging for the listener, compared to, say, Yes' Sound Chaser or KC's Groon. It's the same reason I find myself listening more to Stratosfear or Force Majeure than Alpha Centauri or Phaedra; or Shine on You Crazy Diamond compared to Interstellar Overdrive.

I've read about how Camel often wins in PA polls because they're the band that the fewest voters actively dislike. Another factor that comes into play is whether the listener prefers innovation/experimentation and expanding genre conventions over familiar chord sequences, consonance and rhythms.

Edited by Replayer - March 26 2017 at 12:36
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>