Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIQ and psychometric testing...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: ...for presidential candidates. Should there be?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
8 [53.33%]
1 [6.67%]
2 [13.33%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [26.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: IQ and psychometric testing...
    Posted: April 03 2017 at 03:40
There are those who believe that Donald Trump is not intellectually capable of being president. Some believed that Hillary was too much of a self serving psychopath to do the job.

Should all nominees, or at least those who end up being chosen by their respective parties, then undergo an IQ test and personality profiling to make sure they are not as thick as pig sh*t, and/or dangerously psychotic? It's often said that the beauty of the US system is that technically speaking 'anyone can be president' Recent events have perhaps suggested this is indeed the case. But is this right, or is it stuck up and elitist to believe that only people capable of doing the job should be allowed to do it?
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 04:50
That would make the election process even more of joke than it is now. Why not just put every willing citizen into such a test and pick the one who scores the highest?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 09:04
I would like to see the most rational in office, and would like systems that encourage more rationality and far less ignorance in voters. Although it would be rife for terrible abuse, in the past I have favoured tests to determine eligibility to vote.

Just a fanboy passin' through.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 09:23
IQ test and psychometric testing are a load of old bollocks and should never be used to assess anyone for anything. I would happily throw both these charlatans on the dung heap of pseudo-scientific bullsh*t along with astrology, alchemy and philosophy. The OT and poll is based upon the premise that Trump and Clinton (or Blair and Thatcher come to that) would fail one or other (or both) of these assessment tests, and I'm not so sure that they would.
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 09:45
As a voting citizen, I would be glad if the next French president could be mentally stable and not being eaten by his/her own ambition and some weird and dangerous ideas.

On the other hand, Macron looks like he's intelligent and mentally stable, but... who wants to vote for "my perfect cousin"?
In fact, if our leaders were surrounded by competent, intelligent, honest people, I wouldn't mind having a president a bit "excentric" (as long as we don't find him making dirty jokes such as the story of the snake and the cowgirl in front of the UNO).
When I look back at the Sarkoy era, I see a dishonest, authoritarian and megalomaniac president surrounded by ambitious, opportunistic and treacherous fools, with some of them being clearly incompetent: some laws had been rejected by the Constitutional Court, just because of major defaults in the writing of these said laws!
Not to talk about the fact that Sarkozy messed up the French intelligence services when he tried to reorganize it with his usual subtlety...
He may have been intelligent, but only used his intelligence to be the Boss, like any good little Wall Street "wolf" could have done it...
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:34
probs
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:35
Rater than IQ and psychometric testing, perhaps there could be other tests to qualify for the presidency. Just as I would rather like knowledge tests for potential voters (though the biases of such tests could be very problematic and rife for abuse), perhaps for someone to qualify for running for president/ Prime Minister etc. they should pass exams. I would also like some sort of internship/ residency for those interested in the position.

You can't practice medicine without passing your medical exams, earning your degree, going through residency and becoming licensed. Maybe we should expect as much rigour in preparing for politics. If we must have politicians, I think I'd rather the political leader come from the civil servants/ bureaucracy. If we could ensure that good, sane, and knowledgeable people surrounded the President then it wouldn't matter so much. The system of checks and balances is not working well enough.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 10:56
Anyone with a PPE degree should automatically be disqualified from holding a governmental post. Hell, I'm not sure I'd want anyone with that qualification in any position of responsibility or having anything to to with handling money (so that includes anything in retail, even flipping burgers in Micky-Ds). The world always needs bog-cleaners, though even that may be too good for such wastrels.
What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 11:08
I'd rather a PPE Oxford graduate running America than Trump with his economics degree. It's time to make America British again.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 11:24
Perhaps I should have said, anyone with a Philosophy, Politics or Economics degree, or combinations thereof as I don't see any of them as being ideal qualifications for running a country... but especially anyone who thought a PPE degree was the best meal-ticket for a career in politics and have never had a "proper job".

What?
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2017 at 11:49
To be Platonic, but only Philosopher Kings can understand truth and the greater good. ;)

I usually associate politicians with law degrees, but In England the PPE degrees (especially from Oxford) are considered to be fast tickets to political office.
I loved studying Philosophy, but ideally the arts should be studied in tandem with the sciences. I'd like to see more mathematicians and physicists in office.

EDIT: I think law and engineering are two of the best academic backgrounds for office.

Edited by Logan - April 03 2017 at 12:08
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 11:32
many of those who are elected as priminister in Norway either has economic degress or law, very few with higher then five years of completed education ( master) or even three year (bachelor), Gro Harlem who were our priminister in the 90s had a PhD in medicine i think. Our current pope has a master degree in chemistry... more qulified then current president of US accademicly.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 11:34
Would a candidate with master degree in political science be good qualified as head of state?
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 12:03
Any person who has even been the star of a reality TV show should be automatically disqualified. 

We would lose a few candidates. 

Any person who believes Jesus rode a dinosaur should be automatically disqualified. 

Over 40% of people couldn't be candidates then. 
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 13:49
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

Any person who believes Jesus rode a dinosaur should be automatically disqualified. 

LOL

The sad thing is that there are plenty of people who believe such religious nonsense.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 23:15
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

LOL

The sad thing is that there are plenty of people who believe such religious nonsense.
I'd automatically disqualify anyone who believed stories of taking snakes & bushes and/or who worshipped a zombie, so that's 70% of the population.

Which means you're gonna be ruled by buddhists, atheists and hindus but those three tend to play nice together so maybe that's a good thing.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2017 at 23:16
Originally posted by Icarium Icarium wrote:

Would a candidate with master degree in political science be good qualified as head of state?
Nope.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 01:33
I guess my utter contempt for philosophers (and by inference philosophy) is well known here. Just as the academic study of history is an adequate qualification for observing and commenting upon past historical events, but a piss-poor one for creating new historical events, the study of philosophy, which I'm sure it is enormous fun, is an adequate qualification for observing and commenting on the activities of politicians and governments but it is wholly inadequate for being one. I regard the academic study of politics and/or economics in exactly the same way. Terrific if you want to be a journalist but of no value if you want to run a country. [If anyone thinks that they'd like to be governed by an economist probably hasn't worked for company run by an accountant.]

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

EDIT: I think law and engineering are two of the best academic backgrounds for office.

Not sure. Margaret Hilda Thatcher was a Chemist (afaik, the closest we ever got to having an engineer as PM), Theresa Mary May has a BA in Geography (so I presume she can name the other 27 countries of the EU at least) and the last lawyer to be PM was Anthony Charles Lynton Blair... so not the greatest track record there then.

There is an adage that engineers don't make good managers because they are more interested in engineering than they are in management which makes them too goal-driven, and that is partly true. As an ex-engineering manager I was a "player-manager" and have been told by those who worked for me that I did okay as a manager even though I actually didn't like managing people. If asked to choose a CEO from list of candidates that included an engineer, an accountant and a salesman I'd probably pick the salesman first, then the engineer.

Edited by Dean - April 05 2017 at 02:19
What?
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 02:59
There are many forms of intellect. Just because the prez is nifty with numbers doesn't necessarily mean he understands the emotional turmoil of a bleeding vagina once a month. It also doesn't qualify her as someone who can discuss quantum physics and X factor gossip with equal elegance.
One of out most beloved physicist here in Denmark is named Holger Bech Nielsen. The man is an absolute genius when it comes to math, physics and how the universe works. He can dance with the best of em and he is furthermore a brilliant conveyor of knowledge - making complex theories appear simple to laymen such as myself. He knows all of this 'stuff' yet can't for the life of him tie his own shoelaces.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2017 at 04:43
Ok, ok...so there's no winning formula for the perfect politico.

Maybe the best bet is merely for a good diplomat to surround him or herself with good accountants, lawyers, engineers and military strategists and then hope for the best.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>