Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > Just for Fun
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Shred Room 56: Saqqara

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 544>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 16 2017 at 17:55
^ A prequel to The Naked and the Dead?
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progaardvark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 10:22
It's a challenge doing them with syrup.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 16:47
Originally posted by irrelevant irrelevant wrote:

Originally posted by Man With Hat Man With Hat wrote:

Originally posted by Polymorphia Polymorphia wrote:

Yeah, SM's. Part of it seems to do with the way it was recorded. It just feels very dull and energy-less even though that probably wasn't the case with the performances.

Also, pertaining O'Rourke and Ambarchi, Behold is neat.

No doubt third is recording like sh*t. A huge shame since the music is so fascinating (to me at least). I wish there was a way to clean it up but all the 'remastered' versions still sound notgreat at best. I suspect it's the best it can be.

And I haven't heard Behold, but I assume I would enjoy it. 

I actually love the muddiness of Third, just like I love the muddiness of Bitches Brew. I guess I don't like my fusion shiny.

Or new...

I'm probably strange in the fact that I don't think that I've ever thought that a recording has benefited from being poorly recorded...and I've certainly never wanted them that way. Even old school harsh black metal tyhpe stuff I wish was recorded with clarity. 
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 16:54

Yeah, SM's. Part of it seems to do with the way it was recorded. It just feels very dull and energy-less even though that probably wasn't the case with the performances.

No doubt third is recording like sh*t. A huge shame since the music is so fascinating (to me at least). I wish there was a way to clean it up but all the 'remastered' versions still sound notgreat at best. I suspect it's the best it can be.

I actually love the muddiness of Third, just like I love the muddiness of Bitches Brew. I guess I don't like my fusion shiny.

Or new...

I'm probably strange in the fact that I don't think that I've ever thought that a recording has benefited from being poorly recorded...and I've certainly never wanted them that way. Even old school harsh black metal tyhpe stuff I wish was recorded with clarity. 
But then you would hear how bad it sounds.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 17:15
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Or new...

But then you would hear how bad it sounds.

True. But I want to hear the music when I listen to music. If it's sh*t, well i'd like to know it. (I Mean ok, sure, most of that black metal stuff is sh*t, but you know what I mean)
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 19:22
Originally posted by twseel twseel wrote:

oh dear hello gaybe, sorry postponing our project type sh*t man, it's busy times y'know, and transitional ones

ah whatever, it's like a 40% chance he even comes back to read this

Transitional ones for me too. Don't sweat it. 
irrelevant View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote irrelevant Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 19:26

I actually love the muddiness of Third, just like I love the muddiness of Bitches Brew. I guess I don't like my fusion shiny. 

Or new...
I do like Bitches Brew and tend to dislike shiny fusion but BB is not nearly as muddy (or polite).

Man the early 90's CBS Jazz Masterpieces CD of BB I own sounds real lo-fi. Has it received better treatment in more recent years, or is my CD edition out of a bad batch?

Edited by irrelevant - August 17 2017 at 19:28
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 17 2017 at 21:50

I actually love the muddiness of Third, just like I love the muddiness of Bitches Brew. I guess I don't like my fusion shiny. 

Or new...
I do like Bitches Brew and tend to dislike shiny fusion but BB is not nearly as muddy (or polite).

Man the early 90's CBS Jazz Masterpieces CD of BB I own sounds real lo-fi. Has it received better treatment in more recent years, or is my CD edition out of a bad batch?
Could be. I have a 00s reissue. I was kind of surprised you mentioned it, though. For both of the albums, the drums are quieter than I, personally, would mix them, but pretty much everything in BB is clearer and has more energy, in part due to the wider stereo image and also that it actually has highs. Not to mention a more diverse range of timbres (which is more on the arrangement side of things). I actually think it sounds pretty good, especially for how many improvising instruments it tries to balance. 

That said, my most recent attempt to listen to Third featured me turning it off 3/4 of the way through Facelift, which is a live recording. Revisiting the other tracks, it doesn't sound nearly as muddy, but still muddier than BB. The engineer didn't do the band any favors by panning the drums all the way to one side (BB has a drummer on each side at least), and there are a lot of overlapping frequencies that make it feel dull.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HemispheresOfXanadu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 09:57
...ever try Snarky Puppy for new, clean production but recorded live, jazz? I mention them a lot.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 11:52
I know SP. They used to come through here a lot. A friend of mine subbed for Michael League one gig. Personally I find them to be a bit too jazz school. There are a million and one bands that sound like them that come through here and everybody in the jazz school here writes stuff that sounds like them. Plus, the clean recording is just a little too clean for me and they could benefit from a more live sound. Incidentally, they are great live.

Probably my favorite jazz record from the last couple of years is Christian Scott's Stretch Music.

Edited by Polymorphia - August 18 2017 at 12:03
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 12:24
I like my Puppy like I like my electro-industrial
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 13:51

With nine inch nails?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 13:56

With nine inch nails?
ewww no

k
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Polymorphia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 14:26
I like Skinny Puppy, but, pleb that I am, The Downward Spiral is my favorite industrial album.
Collaborator
Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 14:45
Not a fan of SP either. No musical depth. 
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 14:45
There's a certain cheesiness to it (The Downward Spiral, NIN in general) I couldn't get over.

Edited by Vompatti - August 18 2017 at 14:46
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 15:20
Voopy didya hear about the stabbings in Turku?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 15:24
I did k
twseel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote twseel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 15:37
was it near your house there?
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 18 2017 at 15:41
No, it was at the marketplace.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5152535455 544>