23 [67.65%]
11 [32.35%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 18:57
Damn....i just lost my post to the Captcha/error thing. 

Anyway, while I'm a fan of the Workingmans through Wake period, I really should go back and try the weirdo 60s stuff again.....been a long time!  Big smile

mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 20:38
I don't understand why this poll was moved to general discussions. If anything, I think people are starting to agree that some of their material falls under the progressive spectrum. Confused
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 09 2017 at 21:21
Originally posted by Finnforest Finnforest wrote:

Damn....i just lost my post to the Captcha/error thing. 

I lost my post to the captcha thing just before you did and had to rewrite my fairly long diatribe from scratch.  I hate when that happens.  Maybe that was when the thread got moved?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 00:55
Generally threads about artists who are not listed in the archive get moved. If the thread is suggesting an addition then it will get moved to Suggest New Bands, otherwise it ends up in General Music Discussion. This has been how the forum works for at least the past ten years.

Captcha's are not a result of the thread being moved, they are a result of Max being a bit of a tit (and not the functional bit either).

The complexities of GD music don't make it Progressive Rock, it was a parallel path that is completely unrelated to Prog Rock; "progressive" (adj.) =/= "Prog" (n.). 
What?
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 07:46
Same as with Phish, for me....I recognize the talent, I just can't get into it.
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 08:40
The only thing I ever liked by them was Side Two of Terrapin Station.
Pelata View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 12:32
My half-brother was a huge fan growing up. Followed them a bit for several shows, got a GD tattoo...I never got it.
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 12:41
I was never a fan of their music and thought that SF bands like the Airplane and Quicksilver were much better.
Their extended jams and hours long concerts were probably a result of being on LSD and having the energy to play all night.
AEProgman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 12 2017 at 17:44
I am a fan of sorts, hung out with some Dead Heads in the early 80s and began to listen more.  Like the earlier stuff....American Beauty, Wake of the Flood, etc...  Also, like Terrapin Station and From the Mars Hotel, plus the later In the Dark was a little bit of pleasant surprise for me.
Intruder View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 10:47
Psychedelic/Space Rock?  The Dead practically invented it.

Prog Folk?  Again, the Dead were pioneers of the genre.

Jazz Rock/Fusion?  Miles Davis dug their jazzy improv jams.....they were Coltrane disciples.....some of their mid-70s stuff could easily be mistaken for Weather Report....or Zappa....or the Dregs....or early Coryell.....fusion!

Crossover?  Eclectic?  Even Progressive Electronic.....their first few albums were experiments in electronica....they twisted knobs, tapes and sound - they dug Cage and saw the studio as a way to manipulate sound to fit the jam but also to fit a mood, emotion or their attempt at catching the sound of wind, waves, weirdness. 

Krautrockers dug the Dead....they practically followed the lead laid down by the Dead.  

Could probably make a case for a few other of the PA genre list but it's such a lovely Sunday morning.

Edited by Intruder - April 16 2017 at 10:52
I like to feel the suspense when you're certain you know I am there.....
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 10:55
yeah man.... too beautiful a day to waste your time man or to even care.. unless you can make them a bunch of limey's it won't make a damn bit of difference what kind of reason and logic you can manage. It isn't about the music.. it never was when you had a bunch of hacks in charge of additions...it is about perception and protecting the sanctity of the site and ... oh... where they came from haha

Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

however IMO very underrated by many in their importance and influence.. none more than by this site.  The single biggest omission the site has.. if they had been english.. they'd have been added... in 2004
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 11:07
Originally posted by Intruder Intruder wrote:

Psychedelic/Space Rock?  The Dead practically invented it.

Prog Folk?  Again, the Dead were pioneers of the genre.

Jazz Rock/Fusion?  Miles Davis dug their jazzy improv jams.....they were Coltrane disciples.....some of their mid-70s stuff could easily be mistaken for Weather Report....or Zappa....or the Dregs....or early Coryell.....fusion!

Crossover?  Eclectic?  Even Progressive Electronic.....their first few albums were experiments in electronica....they twisted knobs, tapes and sound - they dug Cage and saw the studio as a way to manipulate sound to fit the jam but also to fit a mood, emotion or their attempt at catching the sound of wind, waves, weirdness. 

Krautrockers dug the Dead....they practically followed the lead laid down by the Dead.  

Could probably make a case for a few other of the PA genre list but it's such a lovely Sunday morning.

Woah! If all of the above is really true, I urgently need to reinvestigate the Greatful Dead. I could never get through that dry, country-bluesy nut of some of their studio albums, if that makes sense.

Any albums you folks could recommend for the above-described jazz-rock/fusion improvisation that could have easily been mistaken for Weather Report, Zappa or early Coryell? And also the albums that featured sonic exploration in form of "twisted knobs, tapes," Cage inspiration, and using studio as a way "to fit a mood, emotion or their attempt at catching the sound of wind, waves, weirdness." You really got me wanting to check them out again. Smile What would be some of the most exciting works for me to start with?

Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 11:19
^ Psych/Space Rock (sort of): Anthem of the Sun, Aoxomamoa
Folk: American Beauty, Workingman's Dead
JF: Blues For Allah
Crossover: Terrapin' Station

That's about all I own. Some other folks will be able to make more precise suggestions I have no doubt. Oh, and The Dead is often considered primarily a live act so Europe '72 is a must-listen. 
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 12:14

yeah man.... too beautiful a day to waste your time man or to even care.. unless you can make them a bunch of limey's it won't make a damn bit of difference what kind of reason and logic you can manage. It isn't about the music.. it never was when you had a bunch of hacks in charge of additions...it is about perception and protecting the sanctity of the site and ... oh... where they came from haha

however IMO very underrated by many in their importance and influence.. none more than by this site.  The single biggest omission the site has.. if they had been english.. they'd have been added... in 2004
Bullsh*t.
What?
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 12:28
We can't deny the fact that American bands get defecated on here often just for being American. Micky may have a point here, but I don't think that Grateful Dead's nationality in particular is what hasn't got them on the site.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 13:13
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

We can't deny the fact that American bands get defecated on here often just for being American.
I disagree on all counts. Firstly, no one actually defecates, craps, sh*ts or poops on American bands; secondly nationality is actually immaterial. 

If you took the time to actually count the number of American and British bands listed here the results may surprise you...

United Kingdom 1160
United States 2186

Confused some pretty weird-sh*t anti-american bias going on there if you ask me, how fu*king dare we have the bare-faced temerity to list twice as many US bands than UK ones, I mean... what the hell are we trying to pull here with such an evil, wicked stunt as this? Are we deliberately trying to make American's look bad by only cherry-picking the good British bands while listing every bunch of good-old boys suggested even if they don't know an Appalachian zither from a hole in the ground?

[Italy 943; Netherlands 231]

Micky may have a point here,
Only the one that makes his hat wobble when he runs.

but I don't think that Grateful Dead's nationality in particular is what hasn't got them on the site.

Quite.
What?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 13:42
I have a record by Phil Lesh & Ned Lagin called Seastones - it should file under Progressive Electronic !!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 13:51
I was speaking anecdotally, as I have encountered people outside (inside, but overwhelmingly outside) PA that have dismissed bands from the classic period for being from the United States, which I believe it a silly thing to do. But I shouldn't have phrased it as an immutable fact. Sorry. I still think though that my experience stands.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 14:57

I was speaking anecdotally, as I have encountered people outside (inside, but overwhelmingly outside) PA that have dismissed bands from the classic period for being from the United States, which I believe it a silly thing to do. But I shouldn't have phrased it as an immutable fact. Sorry. I still think though that my experience stands.
Unfortunately I don't. Anecdotal evidence is only of value when corroborated by undeniable fact(s) because that's the only way we can differentiate between an accurate representation and false generalisation. Sadly here you are using anecdotal evidence to support hearsay. 
What?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 16 2017 at 16:23
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

Unfortunately I don't. Anecdotal evidence is only of value when corroborated by undeniable fact(s) because that's the only way we can differentiate between an accurate representation and false generalisation. Sadly here you are using anecdotal evidence to support hearsay. 
If you would like me to fully rephrase myself I can:
In my personal experience, I've seen American bands get shot down simply for being American, especially when if they are from the 70's and juxtaposed with English bands that existed at the same time. I do not, however, think that due to Grateful Dead being American they were omitted from progarchives.com. But personally I could see from a subjective point of view where Micky might have gotten that idea.

I really didn't think something as silly as this would get you so ruffled, Dean.  I'm sorry if I was being confrontational, because I didn't mean it that way. I was speaking purely from personal experience. If you are looking for objectivity, it would take me a while to find you cold, hard facts.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234>