Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWas Donald Trump right to bomb Syria?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Poll Question: Without congressional approval or a UN resolution?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
5 [20.83%]
0 [0.00%]
3 [12.50%]
9 [37.50%]
3 [12.50%]
0 [0.00%]
4 [16.67%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Was Donald Trump right to bomb Syria?
    Posted: April 10 2017 at 06:22
Maybe, he's just putting on a little show for China and North Korea, so they take note of his resolve and apparent disregard for the usual protocol.

Maybe this recent bombing in response to Assad's alleged chemical attack, was actually done with Putin's blessing, behind the scenes. Maybe Putin still believes that US/Russia relations will be better with Trump in charge and want to do everything they can to assist Trump in securing two terms, and so agreed to some limited bombing to allow Trump some good PR back home.

Thoughts etc??
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 07:02
The UN is a joke and the congress would only have slowed him down. You could argue that the bombing was a waste of money and he shouldn't have done it at all (and I would be inclined to agree), but if he was going to do it, this was the right way.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 07:49
The Donald could not be more wrong. I guess he took the bait. I don't think that Assad is a nice guy, but it seems unlikely to me that he launched a chemical attack knowing what reaction it would cause. 
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 08:00
No one has the right to bomb a foreign country!
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin and Amateur Layabout

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 08:05
He shouldn't have done it but I do not think he is mental. I think it is unwise to underestimate just how duplicitous and conniving he is.
What?
aglasshouse View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 09:22
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

The UN is a joke and the congress would only have slowed him down. You could argue that the bombing was a waste of money and he shouldn't have done it at all (and I would be inclined to agree), but if he was going to do it, this was the right way.
Yeah, this.
http://fryingpanmedia.com
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 09:34
Originally posted by Dean Dean wrote:

He shouldn't have done it but I do not think he is mental. I think it is unwise to underestimate just how duplicitous and conniving he is.
I agree, but could he be duplicitous, conniving and also mental?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 10:06
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I think he is reactionary and reckless, but my use of the word mental was somewhat flippant, I admit.

He seems to me like a child who's got hold of his dad's gun...
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 10:22
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

I think he is reactionary and reckless, but my use of the word mental was somewhat flippant, I admit.

With every news story I see I ask myself, 'what's in it for Trump?' It is pretty evident thus far that The Donald rarely does anything that doesn't have some benefit for The Donald. Snarky observers have already noted that firing 59 Raytheon missiles has resulted in a few percentage points increase in the value of The Donald's Raytheon stocks. As cynical as that view is, war is very good for business.
What?
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 10:29
The UN has come in for a lot of well deserved criticism but we have to temper that view, aside from cases such as this where they are ineffectual in preventing one of the things the organisation was set up to deal with, in its 70 year history it has successfully managed to police and contain a lot more, and by its mere existence has managed to stop many more from even starting.

Edited by Dean - April 10 2017 at 10:31
What?
CPicard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 10:43
While it's obvious that Trump is just playing an one-man show of vulgar display of power, I'm not sure I would condemn this bombing: it's not the first time that Assad is accused of using chemical weapons against his people, and I do think it's time to act against this regime.

Yet, bombing a military station isn't the best option (from every point of view, strategical, diplomatical, etc): I'm still in favor of an UN resolution - granted that the Blue Helmets could be useful. At least, if they could help the NGO to do some humanitarian, it would be a great start.

Also, I still think the best way to get rid of Assad would be to help some rebel factions (especially the YPG). Instead of bombing some military sites, it would be more intelligent to send some logistical help, food, weapons, etc...
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 12:56
What I don't get is the forewarning. " Hi Vlad it's the Pentagon. we'll be bombing your buddies in Syria in about an hour.OK. Bye. " No doubt this is just a game of chess at this stage. Then we have the lunatic kid in North Korea playing with missiles. 
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 13:34
Originally posted by aglasshouse aglasshouse wrote:

Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Yeah, this.

Yeah, this too.
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 13:58
Foreign intrusion, those representatives from US, Europe, Russia aso are responsible for that downfall in Syria. Who will ever trust them in doing the right move, if it is Obama or Trump, Putin or who else?
Are you sure who initiated the gas attack considering such a confusion there?
Trump is not mental, he starts a new fire with intent ...

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 10 2017 at 14:06

I don't think that your use of the word mental is flippant at all, Andy. I don't take Trump for a fool, but his 4 AM tweeting binges do hint of lunacy, which was once thought to be an irrational mental state brought about by the lunar cycles. 
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 02:06

With every news story I see I ask myself, 'what's in it for Trump?' It is pretty evident thus far that The Donald rarely does anything that doesn't have some benefit for The Donald. Snarky observers have already noted that firing 59 Raytheon missiles has resulted in a few percentage points increase in the value of The Donald's Raytheon stocks. As cynical as that view is, war is very good for business.

Yes, war is always a money spinner, but the whole episode doesn't smell right to me. For a start Assad was getting the upper jhand in the conflict having recently taken Aleppo. Why risk a foreign intervention with a chemical attack, unless he was testing the new presidents reaction...

Also, Trumps position on Russia has taken such a sharp U-turn, I'm struggling to believe his new apparently hostile position is legitimate. I'm wondering if the Kremlin actually approved this limited strike, and have agreed to an exchange of harsh words and hollow threats to play to their respective electorates at home.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 03:23

Yes, war is always a money spinner, but the whole episode doesn't smell right to me. For a start Assad was getting the upper jhand in the conflict having recently taken Aleppo. Why risk a foreign intervention with a chemical attack, unless he was testing the new presidents reaction...

Also, Trumps position on Russia has taken such a sharp U-turn, I'm struggling to believe his new apparently hostile position is legitimate. I'm wondering if the Kremlin actually approved this limited strike, and have agreed to an exchange of harsh words and hollow threats to play to their respective electorates at home.
I do wonder how much we've been played by all three of them, thou' that may be crediting Assad with being more than just a pawn in Putin's game. Syria is Russia's only reliable foot-hold in the Middle East (their relations with Iran have always been tenuous and unpredictable, they're chums at the moment out of economic necessity but there is no guarantee how long that will last - ideologically they are poles apart) so he will defend the Syrian regime at all costs, even if and/or when Assad does something stupid and indefensible.

As I recall every use of chemical weapons in the middle east has had a degree of doubt and counter-accusation associated with it because of the international outrage it creates; there is tangible credibility in the belief that both sides are insane enough to deploy them (even against their own people) and smart enough not to admit that they have but blame the other side instead.
What?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 04:02

I do wonder how much we've been played by all three of them, thou' that may be crediting Assad with being more than just a pawn in Putin's game. Syria is Russia's only reliable foot-hold in the Middle East (their relations with Iran have always been tenuous and unpredictable, they're chums at the moment out of economic necessity but there is no guarantee how long that will last - ideologically they are poles apart) so he will defend the Syrian regime at all costs, even if and/or when Assad does something stupid and indefensible.

As I recall every use of chemical weapons in the middle east has had a degree of doubt and counter-accusation associated with it because of the international outrage it creates; there is tangible credibility in the belief that both sides are insane enough to deploy them (even against their own people) and smart enough not to admit that they have but blame the other side instead.
Your concerns are completely credible. None of these players, as you have pointed out in the past, are idiots. If its at all true, then their acting is superb with a plotline greater than anything John Le Carre could think up.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 05:11

The west are also crazy enough to supply them to future enemies, as was the case with Iraq, when they were at war with Iran. This is my problem. There are no cleans hands. There are no good guys, there are just 'interests' that each side wish to protect, and will do so regardless of the cost in human life or money.

While I'm not fan of Putin, try and see this from his perspective. The G7 are currently trying to come up with a plan to 'persuade' Moscow to ditch Syria as an ally. Can you imagine if the BRICS nations decided to meet to put pressure on the US to ditch France or Britain as an ally, we'd laugh our f***ing arses off at them. Russia are not going to ditch a strategic ally in the region, regardless of sanctions and threats, and making such demands is only going to make Putin more determined to stand his ground.
Dean View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 11 2017 at 05:15
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

What I don't get is the forewarning. " Hi Vlad it's the Pentagon. we'll be bombing your buddies in Syria in about an hour.OK. Bye. " No doubt this is just a game of chess at this stage. Then we have the lunatic kid in North Korea playing with missiles. 
I suspect that was a "wtf...!" panic moment by rational people in the Pentagon realising that if any Russian personnel were present in the airbase at the time of the bombing then WWIII was only moments away...
What?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>