Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 13:12
Originally posted by Luke Luke wrote:

Originally posted by Trouserpress Trouserpress wrote:

Yes, some of those examples may be cheesey (but sorry, I can't agree with you about Wyatt or Henry Cow being remotely cheesey) but what about the many others you ignored? Of them I'd say that the following are all far from being cheesey:

• Area - Crac!
  • Alamaailman Vasarat - Vasaraasia
  • Taal - Skymind
  • Ruins - Symphonica
  • Samla Mammas Manna - Maltid
  • Carnascialia - S/t
  • Absolute Zero - Crashing Icons
  • Matching Mole - S/t
  • Gentle Giant - Interview
  • Hatfield and the North - S/t
  • Dun - Eros

Those are all fine examples of completely un-cheesed prog and I could give you 100s more.

but give examples of not queesy QUALITY prog.

Sorry, but weren't you the guy who included Queensryche - Hear in the Now Frontier in his top 10 prog metal list? Don't talk about quality then.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 13:16
Originally posted by MikeEnRegalia MikeEnRegalia wrote:

Yes, some of those examples may be cheesey (but sorry, I can't agree with you about Wyatt or Henry Cow being remotely cheesey) but what about the many others you ignored? Of them I'd say that the following are all far from being cheesey:

• Area - Crac!
  • Taal - Skymind
  • Ruins - Symphonica
  • Carnascialia - S/t
  • Matching Mole - S/t
  • Dun - Eros

Those are all fine examples of completely un-cheesed prog and I could give you 100s more.

but give examples of not queesy QUALITY prog.

Sorry, but weren't you the guy who included Queensryche - Hear in the Now Frontier in his top 10 prog metal list? Don't talk about quality then.

see you don't know what i mean by quality, quality isn't when something is complex but quality of record is when it has guts. it can be complex or not.

Drew View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 13:24
i love rush! yeah!
Retrovertigo View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 13:45
I actually like Geddy's voice.  And I love Rush, I have since I was little.  I can thank Neil Peart for my venture into drumming.  Alex and Geddy are incredibly talented players and composers.  However, there's one thing I don't understand.  Look at Rush's entire output, and look at Genesis' entire output.  Genesis has far more cheese, and they can't play as good as Rush.
Heptade View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 14:06
Originally posted by blunt blunt wrote:

Originally posted by Heptade Heptade wrote:

People would
rather sl*g things off than talk about things they like.
It's human nature. We're all guilty of it.

Man i would disagree. This a prog metal forum. I
like Rush but hey like that human nature thing you
talk of it is a rather vague concept. I criticise stuff at
times and praise other stuff. I don't think we "rather"
do anything. We just react and do it. Sometimes its
sl*gging off sometimes its not. Geez this sounds like
a Neil Peart lyric................  

I'm feeling negative today.
The world keeps spinning, people keep sinning
And all the rest is just bullsh*t
-Steve Kilbey
TheProgtologist View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 16:06

Originally posted by Heptade Heptade wrote:

People would rather sl*g things off than talk about
things they like. It's human nature. We're all guilty of
it.

Man i would disagree. This a prog metal forum. I like Rush but hey like that human nature thing you talk of it is a rather vague concept. I criticise stuff at times and praise other stuff. I don't think we "rather" do anything. We just react and do it. Sometimes its sl*gging off sometimes its not. Geez this sounds like a Neil Peart lyric................  

This is NOT a prog metal forum.This is a forum for progressive music in general,what ever gave you the idea that this was a prog metal forum?

Cluster One View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 16:45

The Tree's sounds pretty pathetic lyrically now does it not. He obviously got a lot better.

'The Trees' still sounds great lyrically to me! The whole Oaks (British) vs. the Maples (Canadians) still resonates greatly with us Canucks! Especially in a "I love my parents, but I don't want to live with them any more" kind of way...

RUSH is often : cheesy, geeky, screechy. And at times they are the epitome of "uncool", that's the whole attraction
Marmalade...I like marmalade.
alan_pfeifer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 17:34

Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

I actually like Geddy's voice.  And I love Rush, I have since I was little.  I can thank Neil Peart for my venture into drumming.  Alex and Geddy are incredibly talented players and composers.  However, there's one thing I don't understand.  Look at Rush's entire output, and look at Genesis' entire output.  Genesis has far more cheese, and they can't play as good as Rush.

Yeah, from a "prog" perspective, they've put out alot more consistent material.  I mean, they got very synth heavy in the 80's, but they never went the route that Genesis did.  And  even if I ever considered Rush "cheesy" or "nerdy" was back on Caress of Steel up to Hemishperes.

jitu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 17:37
RUSH is the true prog music
transend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 18:04

I love Rush...great people, great musicians....dont understand any animosity towards them. The recent story in the 'Mojo prog special' about them dressed up as the 'Cleaver family' in a hotel doing scenes from a TV show to Thin Lizzy in 1976 cleared up any fears that they thought of themselves too highly!

In the end (no pun intended) it is ALL up to peoples different tastes....hey, isnt that what this forum is for???!!

Biggles View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 18:13

Originally posted by Retrovertigo Retrovertigo wrote:

Far more cheese? Yes, agreed. Can't play as good? You've gotta be joking. Steve Hackett outshined Alex Lifeson by miles, and if you want to count Geddy Lee's rudimentary keyboard skills (although I wouldn't because Geddy Lee doesn't really pride himself as much of a keyboardist), then Tony Banks definitely beat him on that. Peter Gabriel was a much better lyricist than Peart, and his range and ability to convey emotion through singing was beyond what Geddy Lee could do. I would put Phil Collins and Neil Peart at the same level (seriously, listen to Phil's drumming on SEbtP, he was one of the best drummers of his time), although I will admit that Geddy Lee was twice the bassist Mike Rutherford was. The only reason why this is not immediately apparent is because Genesis never showed off in 9-minute instrumentals in which they all traded solos. They were more concerned with the overall composition (that's another factor in which Genesis outshined Rush: composition) than with individual displays of virtuosity. They could roll with the best of them, but they preferred not to for the overall end result.

I've always thought that Rush was a pretty good band, but somehow they never well and truly hit the spot for me. I still listen to them on occasion, though. In fact, I was just listening to "La Villa Strangiato" a second ago.

The crux of the biscuit is the apostrophe.

bartok View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 19:21

Originally posted by bartok bartok wrote:

I'm just looking at the albums in your sig, but a lot of those bands seem pretty cheesy to me (Magma (so Wagnerian it's silly but they're actually very serious), Focus (yodeling hard rock)?, Jethro Tull (aor prog?), Henry Cow (so you want to be avant-garde?), even Robert Wyatt, as much I love it, sometimes sounds like Wesley Willis with his keyboard playing.  I'm not disputing that Rush is capable of cheese, but I frankly can't think of prog band that's an exception.

• Area - Crac!
  • Taal - Skymind
  • Ruins - Symphonica
  • Carnascialia - S/t
  • Matching Mole - S/t
  • Dun - Eros

I didn't comment on them because I don't know them.  I don't have "Interview", but I have 7 other Gentle Giant albums, and I think they are a great band, but quite capable of cheese.  "Renaissance Fair" much?

Hatfield & the North - I have this album coming in the mail, but don't have it yet.  I like "The Rotter's Club" a lot, but it's not "cheese"-free either - what about that keyboard solo right in the first track?

And man, that sample of Taal in the archives ("Coornibus"), is shamelessly cheesy in that "Trans-Siberian Orchestra" way.

Edited by bartok
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 19:29
The problem with Lee's voice is that he sings as if someone is squeezing his balls, also when he speaks, he seems more than a bit effeminate...is he a horses hoof?

Edited by tangerine62
bartok View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 03 2005 at 19:30

I love Rush, but that early Genesis is SO good.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 04:52

Originally posted by tangerine62 tangerine62 wrote:

The problem with Lee's voice is that he sings as if someone is squeezing his balls, also when he speaks, he seems more than a bit effeminate...is he a horses hoof?

that's no big deal if you compare his voice with Jon Anderson's one.

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 05:21
I hate this thread, to much "cheese " talk. For some reason I have a problem with this hideous description, maybe its because its an Americanism! I dunno, I can't read it or hear it without wincing.
Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 05:30

Originally posted by Snow Dog Snow Dog wrote:

I hate this thread, to much "cheese " talk. For some reason I have a problem with this hideous description, maybe its because its an Americanism! I dunno, I can't read it or hear it without wincing.

you don't like also "not chees" talk, if it was on me i'd delete this topic but i must admit that it'd be stupid cos everyone has right to post anything 

Snow Dog View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 05:36

you don't like also "not chees" talk, if it was on me i'd delete this topic but i must admit that it'd be stupid cos everyone has right to post anything 

No, everyone does not have the right to post anything.

Guests View Drop Down
Forum Guest Group
Forum Guest Group
Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 05:40

No, everyone does not have the right to post anything.

you are wrong, everyone has right and if it's insult then it might be deleted.

Odd24 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 04 2005 at 05:40

Maybe Queen is also not prog because they have too many cheesy songs:

• Good old fashioned loverboy
  • Some parts of Don't stop me now
  • Lazing on a Sunday afternoon
  • Some parts of The millionaire waltz

I think there are even more examples and I think it even contributed to the succes of Queen...

Wanna hear a real cheesy album that's cheesy in it's entirety...Cruising with Ruben & the Jets from Frank Zappa is a good one...

Irony in a cheesy song can sometimes make it good again...

I can stand it as long as it's not worse than Bryan Hyland's Itsy beetsy teeny weeny yellow polcadot bikini or Helen Shapiro's Walking back to hapiness...man do I hate those songs (0/10).

Rush is still on my list...I can say nothing about them...

Right down the line
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>