Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Sgt Pepper Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 11:51
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Can anyone do anything about this Captcha sh*t...?

Precisely what I’ve been wondering. It’s getting to the point where posting here is a chore instead of something I enjoy. Is there a way to contact the owner of the forum or whoever designed it and request them to do away with this Captcha crap?

It's been a chore for several months......Find another site to enjoy and maybe in the meantime this one will get fixed.
What this site has been lacking the past several years is more members, that feeds spirited conversations and threads that take a life of their own. Seems here they die after 2-3 pages.......There are sites where threads can go on for pages and pages, within a day you are looking at 4-5 pages. For me what this does is keeps me engaged in a thread, cause if you leave it you will need to read a ton of pages to catch up.

I can leave a thread here and come back couple days later and maybe see 4-5 new posts, not too engaging....Or maybe that says something about prog music, dunno. 

Also, the thread answer is still NO!

Whether or not threads go on for awhile depends on the quality of the topic and the posts by the members.....and this is not a negative comment on PA at all just an observation.
There are many threads here I simply don't find all that interesting....and again this is not meant as a slam on PA....it just is what it is.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 11:59

Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Originally posted by Mirror Image Mirror Image wrote:

Can anyone do anything about this Captcha sh*t...?

Precisely what I’ve been wondering. It’s getting to the point where posting here is a chore instead of something I enjoy. Is there a way to contact the owner of the forum or whoever designed it and request them to do away with this Captcha crap?

It's been a chore for several months......Find another site to enjoy and maybe in the meantime this one will get fixed.
What this site has been lacking the past several years is more members, that feeds spirited conversations and threads that take a life of their own. Seems here they die after 2-3 pages.......There are sites where threads can go on for pages and pages, within a day you are looking at 4-5 pages. For me what this does is keeps me engaged in a thread, cause if you leave it you will need to read a ton of pages to catch up.

I can leave a thread here and come back couple days later and maybe see 4-5 new posts, not too engaging....Or maybe that says something about prog music, dunno. 

Also, the thread answer is still NO!

Whether or not threads go on for awhile depends on the quality of the topic and the posts by the members.....and this is not a negative comment on PA at all just an observation.
There are many threads here I simply don't find all that interesting....and again this is not meant as a slam on PA....it just is what it is.

Agree.....it is what it is.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 23:55
I'm not a massive Beatles fan, though, for me, it boils down to the 'Prog' vs. 'Progressive' rally.
I do think Sgt. Pepper's is a progressive album - the band surely were 'forward thinking' and experimental in terms of what was 'going down' at the time.........AND popular.......BUT...........
............I don't get all the adulation and praise they receive as to 'the best band that ever lived'.......
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 15:14
Economist thinks so (with a PA reference! - is this a PA member? Smile

http://www.economist.com/blogs/prospero/2017/06/sgt-pepper-50
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 01:09
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

I'm not a massive Beatles fan, though, for me, it boils down to the 'Prog' vs. 'Progressive' rally.
I do think Sgt. Pepper's is a progressive album - the band surely were 'forward thinking' and experimental in terms of what was 'going down' at the time.........AND popular.......BUT...........
............I don't get all the adulation and praise they receive as to 'the best band that ever lived'.......

'Coz you weren't alive at the time Tom? You had to be there i.e. old!
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 06:40
is the latest One Direction album prog?
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 07:34
Well, Sgt. Pepper just reached #1 again in sales, 50 years after its release. So you could certainly say it is progressing.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 11:25
^I felt 50 years younger after reading that. F**king amazing!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 11:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

^I felt 50 years younger after reading that. F**king amazing!

Yes, and how many current albums will reach #1 again 50 years after their release?

Never mind. That was a trick question. Wink
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 11:56
Trick question? Ah, too bad. I would have said none, naturally. Well, maybe the new one from Miley Cyrus. Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 04:20
Wait a second....so you're telling me that a large amount of people think that Sgt Pepper is not only the "greatest" album of all time, but also more innovative than:

Frank Zappa - Absolutely Free
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground and Nico
Procol Harum's debut
The Door's debut

You really can't be serious LOL
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 04:28
Confused Saying that SP's is greatest album of all time does not mean it's the most innovative. It 's the most artistically and culturally influential album of all time, and that's the difference, like the album or not.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 05:36
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Wait a second....so you're telling me that a large amount of people think that Sgt Pepper is not only the "greatest" album of all time, but also more innovative than:

Frank Zappa - Absolutely Free
Jimi Hendrix - Are You Experienced?
Velvet Underground - Velvet Underground and Nico
Procol Harum's debut
The Door's debut

You really can't be serious LOL
To slightly misquote Lennon, Sgt Pepper is not even the best album by The Beatles, but I would say it is more innovative than some of the above albums.
CorwinA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 09:04
I would consider it more proto-prog than Prog Proper. It may have needed to happen in order for prog to happen, though.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 16:58
Prog? no
Proto-prog? no

A pop album that influenced prog among other styles of pop and rock? yes

ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 10 2017 at 06:31
Originally posted by Thatfabulousalien Thatfabulousalien wrote:

Prog? no
Proto-prog? no

A pop album that influenced prog among other styles of pop and rock? yes

I'm not really that keen on Sgt Pepper myself regardless of whatever classification is has garnered in the intervening years, but I'm not sure why you are endorsing the site's definition of Proto Prog yet somehow arguing for it's exclusion?

Here's an extract from PA's Proto-Prog definition (which is by no means intended to be exhaustive)

The common elements in all these bands is that they developed one or more elements of Prog, and even when not completely defined as part of the genre, they are without any doubt, an important stage in the evolution of Progressive Rock.
Progressive Rock was born from the blending of different genres, we have broadened the definition to cover any band that combined some elements of Progressive Rock with other genres prior to 1970.

Did you actually read PA's definition before you posted?
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 23:11
I think all prog books should start with SGT. Pepper. It was first true concept album and define a lot prog that is coming.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 05:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

I think all prog books should start with SGT. Pepper. It was first true concept album and define a lot prog that is coming.

It's not a concept album. It started out as one but they lost interest and Lennon said it's just a collection of non-related songs.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 05:59
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

It's not a concept album. It started out as one but they lost interest and Lennon said it's just a collection of non-related songs.
It IS concept album! Of course not in a that way there is story that´s continuing like Tommy does, but the album has a theme that is in every song. The theme is past of UK. Also, one theme is a one day in everyday life and final a Day in Life put that theme together. It´s very possible Beatles members didn´t think those themes when making Sgt, it´s always possible they become unconsciously into album. Also, one way to see Sgt is a kind of varietee show that has beginning and the end. Anyway I think you should watch Howard Goodall´s document about Sgt, if not watched, so you can understand how genius album Sgt is.

And it´s not just the music that influenced prog, it was also lyrics and the cover. Nothing like that has done before Sgt, but lots of same kind of stuff or near of it after that.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 09:04
Why do you ask? Do you need our permission to add some of it to a prog playlist?

Do you WANT it to be prog? Then it is, when you listen to it.
That is to say (as I've long maintained) the whole "prog" notion is largely subjective: each of us knows what it encompasses from a personal perspective, but there is no concensus as to the parameters of this "genre" that is not a genre. Beyond adding (wildly diverse) artists and putting them in their respective boxes here, the perennial question "but is it prog?" is pointless, I think.

Listen to what you want to listen to, think of it however you like. It's ART, man: words don't catch it or pin it in place like a dead butterfly in a box. YOU are the final essential component in any piece of art--it only fully exists when you experience it, and it is transformed as it passes through your personal, unique "filters." Objectively defining "prog" is much like trying to define "good"--it's a matter of individual perspective and taste.

Now never ask such a question again!
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 56789 13>