Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs Sgt Pepper Prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 12:42
It has ' A Day in the Life' on it. I don't care if it's prog.

Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 12:47
Originally posted by Braka Braka wrote:

It has ' A Day in the Life' on it. I don't care if it's prog.

Best answer! Nailed it in only 15 words!
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 16:32
It is a question of how you define "prog". It is most definitely an important album for the development of prog and a turning point in rock music.

You could ask the same question about the Beatles' "White Album". If pushed to say which one of the two mentioned albums is prog I would choose this double album, but both are reasonable candidates.

It does in my opinion not make sense to ask the question "What was the first prog album"? It was a gradual development, and any choice is absolutely arbitrary (though I know that many, if not most, would say it is ITCOTCK).

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 17:12
I don’t think so. The Beatles weren’t a ‘Prog’ band, though what they created with their music certainly opened the creative doors for what we now know as Prog-Rock.
‘Prog’ vs. ‘Progressive’, again...........
Devo were Progressive, but not a Prog band
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 04:21
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Originally posted by Peter Peter wrote:

Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Do you WANT it to be prog? Then it is, when you listen to it.

This is the single best definition of prog I've ever heard.  Listen to the music, if you want it to prog, then it is for you and that's all that counts Wink

Yes, the perception/reception and fine classification of art (treating it like science, math, or sport--bleah!) is SO subjective.

Unless one is tasked with confining artists and albums (songs and maybe song sections too!) into various blurry, overlapping and multiplying boxes and straitjackets here, then who gives a flying FECK how someone who is not you and can't affect what you hear or feel categorizes it? If you think A Day in the Life dovetails nicely with Supper's Ready, which seques superbly into Strawberry Letter 23, then make your danged playlist and ENJOY, man!! Don't overthink it and pull the butterfly's wings off--you'll kill it! You are the boss of your own stereo, ears, and opinions. You colour, bend, and group it all in your own way as it comes in, anyway! JEEEEEZUS!!!!

If you thought that was good, o Crimson King, I also have a perfect, one-size-fits-all record review that no one can object to:
"Good, if you like it."

Well played Wink 

What I find disturbing about the obsessive need to classify and bucket-ize prog (and really all music these days) into all these subgenres and arguments over who fits where, is that it leads people who dislike a sub-genre to never even try a band because they've been lumped into Indo-Neo-Eclectic-Post-Math-Folk-Fusion-Prog.  How much great music never reaches our ears because of arbitrary classifications that we pay attention to rather than the actual music itself?  There are many bands on PA who could have been equally at home in at least 3 sub-genres; yet because of the bucket they were put in are likely not exposed to anyone not into that particular bucket.  After a couple of years debate, my band Mutiny in Jonestown finally was approved in Neo, though it was suggested along the way that it could fit in Space/Psych, Heavy, Crossover and Eclectic as well.  From reading the forums, I know there are many people who won't touch Neo with a long stick, and since that's where my band ended up, well those people likely will never give it a listen and judge it on it's merits rather than the bucket it finally landed in and that's sad.

And speaking of "Mr. One Size Fits All", I think this FZ quote applies to enjoyment of not only prog, but all music as well:

“The Ultimate Rule ought to be: 'If it sounds GOOD to you, it's bitchin'; if it sounds BAD to YOU, it's sh*tty."

Hold on there, little doggies! I believe that any mature person will listen to what ever moves them, regardless of genre as we all grow out of  the high school mentality. (Well, most of us! LOL)

But without genres, we would not be able to convey the type of music an artist produces. When we say symphonic prog, a general set of musical types comes immediately to mind. The same with avant garde, no matter how diverse that subgenre is. In a nutshell, labeling music is a necessary evil. Especially for a website that reviews prog music.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Peter View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 05:49
Well okay, Steve--point taken.

And I don't envy those who have to argue about the artists here, and weigh relative proportions of this or that sub-genre-specific trait before the artist can be filed away. Obviously, artists and albums present with different mixtures and proportions within those mixtures, then there is the subjectivity that colours what each perceives.

But I want to know why others' labels of THE classic Beatles album matters to a guy sitting at home with it. And simply "prog" is almost as broad a label as "rock." It doesn't t tell you much.

But some are just more analytical, I guess, and want to measure and label merit in art like science, math, or sport can. Thus our endless "apple vs egg" polls here.

Beats arguing about Trump, though!

Edited by Peter - January 25 2018 at 05:50
"And, has thou slain the Jabberwock?
Come to my arms, my beamish boy!
O frabjous day! Callooh! Callay!'
He chortled in his joy.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 07:46

But I want to know why others' labels of THE classic Beatles album matters to a guy sitting at home with it. And simply "prog" is almost as broad a label as "rock." It doesn't t tell you much.
And strangely, I'd like to know why some guy's opinion, whose sitting at home, matters to you.

But back to our discussion. Yes, "prog" is as broad a label as "rock". That's why some poor tortured genius developed subgenes for "prog". And, more labels for you! ha ha! Tongue
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 08:08
Hands up all who doesn't care. 

What does it matter, to be honest, if Sergeant Peppers is or isn't prog ? By whose definition, and so what if it is or isn't ? Music is to be listened to, not dissected. 

dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 08:19
^  Dave is right , no point in these discussions...lets close down the board and go home and listen to the music.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 25 2018 at 09:32
Come on, Doug! This forum is my break from listening to music. I never said that being retired was all bad! Wink
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 06:10
Well, I suppose I'm half right, as Dr Wu says. ;-) 

Yes, the board is here to discuss prog rock, but I just find myself looking at some of these "is this prog" posts and being reminded of "Solve if u r genius" posts on Facebook et al. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, but some posts seem to be put up just for the sake of putting a post up. 

Is Sergeant Pepper prog ? Well. I'm really not bothered, but it was a groundbreaking and stunningly good album, in it's day. I give it a spin every now and again and enjoy it. I'm not really worried if it's prog, progressive pop, psychedelia or whatever, to be honest. Music is art, people interpret art in different ways. One man's prog is another man's psychedelic pop. 

I compose music, and I hardly ever think "I know, I'll sit down and write dark ambient" or whatever. It's just a label. I dislike labels, I tend to think labels are invented by record companies to shift product. I suppose I'm in the Frank Zappa camp there. If you want to musically dissect Sergeant Peppers and apply music theory to it to determine what it is or isn't, fine, but to do that with any credence you have to be a musician with vast experience of the genre. It's the usual Internet thing of someone having an opinion and voicing it without the background technical knowledge to back it up. 

And it's art. You shouldn't define art by the means of science. 

So, sorry, posts like this just irritate me. You've probably noticed: I am ancient and decrepit and curmudgeonly. That's my $0.02, but probably voiced in a more constructive manner than the post above, for which apologies. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 06:26
^ Clap As a great man (whose name I seem to forget at the moment Embarrassed) once said: "Its the music that counts!"

Edited by SteveG - January 26 2018 at 06:27
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 07:05
Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

Yes, the board is here to discuss prog rock, but I just find myself looking at some of these "is this prog" posts and being reminded of "Solve if u r genius" posts on Facebook et al. Perhaps I'm being a bit harsh, but some posts seem to be put up just for the sake of putting a post up. 

That certainly isn't unique to this board. I'm on a Star Trek message board and you'd be amazed by how many hair brained opinions and theories get posted in a brand new thread.  
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 07:47
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

Originally posted by Davesax1965 Davesax1965 wrote:

That certainly isn't unique to this board. I'm on a Star Trek message board and you'd be amazed by how many hair brained opinions and theories get posted in a brand new thread.  
I really do have to ask one question.  If these boards are so bothersome, why do you bother with them? I would think that Star Trek topics would be as beaten to death as prog topics!
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 08:11
Well. Perhaps I like prog rock, Steve. ;-)

Whatever that is, to be honest. It's a broad church, so I tend to listen to krautrock, space rock, psychedelia, "progressive" music. Without labelling it too much or getting all bothered about if what I'm listening to is considered "prog rock" by the masses. 

I don't, to be honest, sit there wondering whether or not I should listen to something I've not heard before, as I can just spend five seconds dipping into it, and if I like it, I like it. If I don't, five seconds wasted. 

If I do, I don't like it "because it's prog rock" or because "everyone else thinks it's prog rock" or it has a particular label on it. Music is art, art is personal preference. 

I'd like to think most people here subscribe to the same opinion, to be honest. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 09:32
^ Yes, of course it's a personal preference. I don't recall too many times in society where people are forced to listen to music that's not of their choice. We don't live in a totalitarian state where one is forced to listen to a countries' national anthem or be imprisoned or shot. Sooo, to be frank, what are you going on about?

Edited by SteveG - January 26 2018 at 09:33
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 09:48
To be frank, what I'm going on about is the utter banality of the question, Steve. 

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 10:17
I did find the question to be banal, as I always do. I also found these hysterical reactions to it to be interesting too, as I always do.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 11:12
^ Well that was rather harsh of me, so to make it up I'll sing you a bit of Tull that's floating around in my head:

Indian restaurants that curry my brain.
Newspaper warriors changing the names they advertise from the station
Stand. With cold print hands.
Symphony word-player, I'll be your headline.
If you catch me another time.
Didn't make her - with my Baker Street Ruse.
Couldn't shake her - with my Baker Street Bruise.
Like to take her - I'm just a Baker Street Muse.

Damn "lyrics that are stuck in head right now" thread! I'll play the whole bloody album before the end of the day!

Edited by SteveG - January 26 2018 at 11:16
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 26 2018 at 14:18
No but imo it could be considered art rock or proto prog. Most people seem to consider KC's debut to be the first full blown prog album. I somewhat disagree with that but even so I don't think Pepper's was really full on prog in the typical sense. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 13>