Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy dont many girls like prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 00:31
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Some women obviously do like prog, but I think it's fair to say more men like it than women. It's not sexist or unreasonable to make that observation. It just is what it is.

Why do more women than men like One Direction?

Women prefer dancing to men, and are generally better at it. Most women I know prefer songs about human experiences, not science fiction, wizards or out of body experiences. I don't know why, they just do.

This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Like many others on this thread, you appear to be merely disseminating the very cliched stereotypes that prejudice people against certain types of music i.e. very little Prog IMO is even tenuously preoccupied with 'science fiction, wizards' or 'out of body experiences' and the only people who believe that to be the case are those who have never actively listened to it or treat your comments as the only confirmation bias they will ever need.

So you believe prog rock is as popular among women as it is among men?

I do take your point regarding my rather flippant comments about what prog rock is all about, but in my experience prog gigs are attended by far more men than women, and prog rock is appreciated more by men than it is women. It's a simple reality.

That said, I was quite surprised by how many women attended the last Rush concert I went to, but then there are those don't think Rush is prog!   

No, I am not on record as believing Prog is equally popular between the sexes Wink but you are correct that more men like Prog than women. (but not for the reasons lazily trotted out in this thread and others) I might be comparing apples and oranges here, but Football is a really good example of something that until fairly recently was considered an impenetrable male enclave. There are now millions of females worldwide who attend soccer matches and follow their favourite teams with great knowledge, passion and enthusiasm. It does seem clear however that there will never be as many females as males follow football but given sufficient time, the sexists, reactionaries, snobs, dinosaurs and 'Andy Grays' that populate both Prog and 'the beautiful game' will finally be consigned to an embarrassing past.
CorwinA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 18:08
Ok - I honestly find it kind of hilarious that *yet another* one of my interests has been deemed Boy Stuff. I mean, I'm used to it by now given I grew up being into space Lego and Star Wars and video games and whatnot; by the time I got to college (majoring in electrical engineering) I was so accustomed to being surrounded by dudes that encountering another female in my chosen territory often actively weirded me out.

That said...I think all this discussion of "why aren't more women into prog" is essentially the same conversation that happens when people start speculating on why more women aren't STEM majors / engineers/ etc. And the answer is the same: "it's complicated". Honestly, I think a lot of it is down to a feedback loop: way back in the day, before birth control and such, women were often relegated to a life of baby-having and domestic duties from a fairly young age. Now, even in first-world situations where we have more of a choice regarding such things, and where there is generally a built-in egalitarian expectation surrounding domestic labor proliferated throughout mainstream culture, little kids still get bombarded from all sides with expectations of gender-role performance. Even if it isn't overt or shoved down throats, so to speak, most children pick up and absorb a ton of ideas from their society and family groups, and are compelled, consciously or not, to behave accordingly. There *may* be a biological component to some of this, but I would assert it is minuscule compared to social feedback loops. I mean i have literally seen people try to claim that girls are drawn to pink because cave-women used to forage for red berries, which is just absurd, especially considering until around the 1930s or thereabouts, blue was considered a girl color and pink was for boys.

But in any event - I think that the women in modern first-world countries who end up getting into prog are going to be those who have, by virtue of early experiences, family environment, and possibly neurological makeup, managed to like what they like regardless of what the mainstream culture expects of girls. In my case I had a father who was into prog, plus I am on the autism spectrum, so maybe those things contributed. I never really felt beholden to acting like a "girl", Iat least in the sense of gravitation toward or away from particular interests based on gender role stuff.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 18:04
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

There was a girl on this site, called threefates, who was a big ELP fan. I am not sure what happened to her, but one of the PA stalwarts might know. 

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=498

there have been many women (girls?) here and some of the most important members early on in building this site .. some like the Friede's still remain.. anyhow I last saw Linda a couple of years ago and seemed to be doing great. 

I"m sure she, like a great many classic PA'rs from those early years just got tired of the site and moved on.. personally I blamed the infestation of DT fans we had around 2007.. the last straw for some might have the 'Favorite Petrucci Breakfast' Cereal poll..... either that or the infamous Torman Maxt bullsh*t.. but we couldn't send M@X off to sleep with the fish.....so in their honor me and my AR thugs rode them all down mercilessly and right the f**k out out of town.  hah...
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 15:39

Some women obviously do like prog, but I think it's fair to say more men like it than women. It's not sexist or unreasonable to make that observation. It just is what it is.

Women prefer dancing to men, and are generally better at it. Most women I know prefer songs about human experiences, not science fiction, wizards or out of body experiences. I don't know why, they just do.

I think part of it is what they are exposed to especially at a young(or younger)age. I think if a woman is exposed to ELP, Yes, Genesis, KC, etc when she is in her teens she is more likely to become a more hardcore prog fan later on. I think it just depends on the person too. I'm sure there are many(in fact I know there are)women who like Yes, Rush or Pink Floyd but no other prog and certainly nothing more obscure that is prog. I guess it goes without saying that men get into it in a bigger way more than women do. If you look at just classic rock or mainstream prog(the aforementioned bands in particular)the gap between the number of men and women is probably not that big. However, once you dig deeper and consider the more hardcore prog fans I think that's where most women get lost. They either don't have the inclination to explore it or just aren't exposed to it in the first place. I personally think it is often a combination of the two. 

Yes, I do think a lot of women like to dance and are more into dance music for that reason than men are. I like dancing if I'm in the mood but other than for dancing I don't really listen to(let alone buy)dance music(very very little if at all). Not that women are less intelligent than men or anything but I think when it comes to music women are more interested in music that hits them at a gut level and like stuff that is more accessible(hummable if not danceable). A lot of prog is more cerebral and therefore less accessible. A lot of women don't like heavy metal either but I would guess there's more into metal than into prog maybe in part because there's just more metal fans in general. 
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 14:58
There was a girl on this site, called threefates, who was a big ELP fan. I am not sure what happened to her, but one of the PA stalwarts might know. 

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=498
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 08:14
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That explains why the queue for the men's toilet at last weekend's Wishbone Ash concert was much longer than the queue for the ladies.

Indeed, and if you went to see Take That the queue for the ladies would be snaking around the perimiter of the arena, where as the mens would be tumbleweed country..
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 08:12

This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Like many others on this thread, you appear to be merely disseminating the very cliched stereotypes that prejudice people against certain types of music i.e. very little Prog IMO is even tenuously preoccupied with 'science fiction, wizards' or 'out of body experiences' and the only people who believe that to be the case are those who have never actively listened to it or treat your comments as the only confirmation bias they will ever need.

So you believe prog rock is as popular among women as it is among men?

I do take your point regarding my rather flippant comments about what prog rock is all about, but in my experience prog gigs are attended by far more men than women, and prog rock is appreciated more by men than it is women. It's a simple reality.

That said, I was quite surprised by how many women attended the last Rush concert I went to, but then there are those don't think Rush is prog!   
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 07:33

That explains why the queue for the men's toilet at last weekend's Wishbone Ash concert was much longer than the queue for the ladies.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 06:40

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 05:55

Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 05:08
Girls do like Prog, and also Extreme Metal - they're just few and far between. Simples
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:59
I have been married for a considerable period. My wife likes pop music - she primarily listens to "The Carpenters", "Rumer" and boy-bands - anything about love that is a ballad mostly. Is she representative of her age/sex? possibly. On the few occasions she has been exposed to progressive rock or metal she always says "How can you listen to that noise?" so I sigh and put my head-phones on and close my eyes.....Musically we are never going to be compatible....Opposites attract?? 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 19:54
^The only thing you do? You don't eat, drink, sleep, watch tv, read, go to work, watch movies, exercise, hang out with friends? 
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 19:48
Originally posted by proger proger wrote:

can you be in a long-term(live with) relationship with a female who does not like prog? i mean when you can feel she have no connection to the genre at all?

its weird because for me some girls were super-nice and intelligent but they were listening to bruno mars and one direction( all that crap...), its hard...

It is possible but yeah, I feel ya, it's saddening (especially for me when music is the only thing I do in life, lol)
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 19:30
If you guys go to prog festivals or prog shows you will see women there trust me. Maybe not many younger women(although even that is starting to change) but they are there even if most of them are with their husbands or boyfriends. 

I think women tend to be intimidated by places where they don't feel like they fit in or feel safe and I think you don't see many women on online prog forums for that reason. I have seen it happen several times over on progressive ears(probably the second biggest prog forum next to this one)where a woman would join, introduce herself and then promptly disappear after only a few posts rarely(if ever)to return. If the woman is attractive and or young the guys on there will assume she's not who she says she is and start questioning her which also prompts them to leave. So in some ways it's certainly understandable being how a lot of guys act around them why they would not go to a prog forum very often. I'm sure there's many more who lurk than actually post for those reasons. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 06 2017 at 19:33
OpenLens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 18:26
I think that girls share their interests much more than guys. prog isn't easy to share because for many people it takes a while to understand it. Same reason it's not really on the radio anymore.
bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 21:36
As a girl that likes prog, I've met about an equal number of guys and girls that like prog. It depends on the community. Some online groups I've been in have been vast majority girls, some vast majority guys, but a lot have been about equal. I have seen some communities that weren't welcoming towards girls (and some were just not welcoming in general Tongue), but luckily most I've been in are very nice. There are probably more girls that like prog than you think, they just might not be on Prog Archives, or post here often, or even reveal they are a girl.

I've met very few prog fans in real life, but a good number of girls I know from online prog groups go to gigs pretty often. So I suppose online, it may depend on the community, but there seem to be quite a bit of girls attending concerts and being active in the prog scene as well.
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 12:15
can you be in a long-term(live with) relationship with a female who does not like prog? i mean when you can feel she have no connection to the genre at all?

its weird because for me some girls were super-nice and intelligent but they were listening to bruno mars and one direction( all that crap...), its hard...

...live for tomorrow...
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 10:09
You know what? I managed to work up the stomach to read through a good chunk of this thread, and I can safely say that many women who are interested in prog may end up being put off just by the attitudes displayed in this thread.

"Women prefer simple music"

"Women only like music with hot guys"

I mean, holy hell. Casual sexism is what's for breakfast, apparently. I reiterate, if I were a woman and I saw things like that, that'd be enough for me to say "You know what? Maybe liking prog is something I'll keep to myself."

I will say that part of the issue is that for the most part, prog (especially obscure prog) tends to be discovered through communities like this one, and just about every message board I've ever been on, irrespective of the subject matter, tends to be male-dominated. I think it's a holdover from the time back in the 90s when computers in general and the internet in particular was a white male thing. I remember guys who spent a lot of time on the internet were made fun of and bullied for being nerds, but not nearly to the same extent as girls who spent a lot of time on the internet. People were just vicious to them. I'm still not clear on why.

In any case, my point is that the early years of the internet were heavily antagonistic towards women (not that the current years aren't, mind you), which resulted in the whole concept of message boards and music communities being kind of a guy thing, which resulted in them forming into little online boys clubs, which resulted in many women checking them out and thinking "Well I sure don't feel welcomed here." I wouldn't say that this continues to be the rule for more contemporary communities, but it sure is the case for oldschool style message boards like this one. 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 22:30

Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

For the same reasons most girls don't play Dungeons and Dragons or become Tolkien fanatics. There is an elitism about it, something esoteric that most people do not get.

That seems like a rather lazy association of ideas. Very little Prog actually makes reference to Elves, Goblins, Wizards or other typical elements of fantasy literature. This is only true for post-punk music journalists, and girls are clearly way too smart to either read or believe them. Perhaps the knowing irony of someone fashioned as 'Prog Snob' is an elitism and esotericism that people do not get?

Well, my username is more facetious than anything. I find most prog fans and prog musicians to be exceedingly open minded in regards to music, which discredits labeling one as a prog snob.

I don't think it's a "lazy association of ideas". I don't recall saying that prog makes references to the creatures you mentioned above. I was merely analogizing the esoteric cliques that are generally associated with such fanbases.

Yeah, we all get the bit where 'facetious' becomes a virtue post-modern irony (love) When I was choosing my own user name I considered 'clueless hippy c.u.n.t' but dismissed this as a tad too inflammatory for the site's moderators. You appear to believe that people who might know little about Prog e.g 'girls' are put off by the very 'lazy association of ideas' that you clearly continue to disseminate. Why do you think that an aversion to Dungeons and Dragons or Tolkien is an obstacle to appreciating Prog? You will not meet anyone on this site who loathes both these 'esoteric cliques' with more unbridled vitriol than me (just ask Dean)

Indeed, and I fail to see what is so esoteric about D&D or LOTR. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 13>