Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy dont many girls like prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 07:33
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Some women obviously do like prog, but I think it's fair to say more men like it than women. It's not sexist or unreasonable to make that observation. It just is what it is. 

That explains why the queue for the men's toilet at last weekend's Wishbone Ash concert was much longer than the queue for the ladies.
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 08:12
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Some women obviously do like prog, but I think it's fair to say more men like it than women. It's not sexist or unreasonable to make that observation. It just is what it is.

Why do more women than men like One Direction?

Women prefer dancing to men, and are generally better at it. Most women I know prefer songs about human experiences, not science fiction, wizards or out of body experiences. I don't know why, they just do.

This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Like many others on this thread, you appear to be merely disseminating the very cliched stereotypes that prejudice people against certain types of music i.e. very little Prog IMO is even tenuously preoccupied with 'science fiction, wizards' or 'out of body experiences' and the only people who believe that to be the case are those who have never actively listened to it or treat your comments as the only confirmation bias they will ever need.

So you believe prog rock is as popular among women as it is among men?

I do take your point regarding my rather flippant comments about what prog rock is all about, but in my experience prog gigs are attended by far more men than women, and prog rock is appreciated more by men than it is women. It's a simple reality.

That said, I was quite surprised by how many women attended the last Rush concert I went to, but then there are those don't think Rush is prog!   
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 08:14
Originally posted by chopper chopper wrote:

That explains why the queue for the men's toilet at last weekend's Wishbone Ash concert was much longer than the queue for the ladies.

Indeed, and if you went to see Take That the queue for the ladies would be snaking around the perimiter of the arena, where as the mens would be tumbleweed country..
Big Ears View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 14:58
There was a girl on this site, called threefates, who was a big ELP fan. I am not sure what happened to her, but one of the PA stalwarts might know. 

http://www.progarchives.com/forum/member_profile.asp?PF=498
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 15:39

Women prefer dancing to men, and are generally better at it. Most women I know prefer songs about human experiences, not science fiction, wizards or out of body experiences. I don't know why, they just do.

I think part of it is what they are exposed to especially at a young(or younger)age. I think if a woman is exposed to ELP, Yes, Genesis, KC, etc when she is in her teens she is more likely to become a more hardcore prog fan later on. I think it just depends on the person too. I'm sure there are many(in fact I know there are)women who like Yes, Rush or Pink Floyd but no other prog and certainly nothing more obscure that is prog. I guess it goes without saying that men get into it in a bigger way more than women do. If you look at just classic rock or mainstream prog(the aforementioned bands in particular)the gap between the number of men and women is probably not that big. However, once you dig deeper and consider the more hardcore prog fans I think that's where most women get lost. They either don't have the inclination to explore it or just aren't exposed to it in the first place. I personally think it is often a combination of the two. 

Yes, I do think a lot of women like to dance and are more into dance music for that reason than men are. I like dancing if I'm in the mood but other than for dancing I don't really listen to(let alone buy)dance music(very very little if at all). Not that women are less intelligent than men or anything but I think when it comes to music women are more interested in music that hits them at a gut level and like stuff that is more accessible(hummable if not danceable). A lot of prog is more cerebral and therefore less accessible. A lot of women don't like heavy metal either but I would guess there's more into metal than into prog maybe in part because there's just more metal fans in general. 
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 18:04
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

There was a girl on this site, called threefates, who was a big ELP fan. I am not sure what happened to her, but one of the PA stalwarts might know. 

there have been many women (girls?) here and some of the most important members early on in building this site .. some like the Friede's still remain.. anyhow I last saw Linda a couple of years ago and seemed to be doing great. 

I"m sure she, like a great many classic PA'rs from those early years just got tired of the site and moved on.. personally I blamed the infestation of DT fans we had around 2007.. the last straw for some might have the 'Favorite Petrucci Breakfast' Cereal poll..... either that or the infamous Torman Maxt bullsh*t.. but we couldn't send M@X off to sleep with the fish.....so in their honor me and my AR thugs rode them all down mercilessly and right the f**k out out of town.  hah...
CorwinA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 18:08
Ok - I honestly find it kind of hilarious that *yet another* one of my interests has been deemed Boy Stuff. I mean, I'm used to it by now given I grew up being into space Lego and Star Wars and video games and whatnot; by the time I got to college (majoring in electrical engineering) I was so accustomed to being surrounded by dudes that encountering another female in my chosen territory often actively weirded me out.

That said...I think all this discussion of "why aren't more women into prog" is essentially the same conversation that happens when people start speculating on why more women aren't STEM majors / engineers/ etc. And the answer is the same: "it's complicated". Honestly, I think a lot of it is down to a feedback loop: way back in the day, before birth control and such, women were often relegated to a life of baby-having and domestic duties from a fairly young age. Now, even in first-world situations where we have more of a choice regarding such things, and where there is generally a built-in egalitarian expectation surrounding domestic labor proliferated throughout mainstream culture, little kids still get bombarded from all sides with expectations of gender-role performance. Even if it isn't overt or shoved down throats, so to speak, most children pick up and absorb a ton of ideas from their society and family groups, and are compelled, consciously or not, to behave accordingly. There *may* be a biological component to some of this, but I would assert it is minuscule compared to social feedback loops. I mean i have literally seen people try to claim that girls are drawn to pink because cave-women used to forage for red berries, which is just absurd, especially considering until around the 1930s or thereabouts, blue was considered a girl color and pink was for boys.

But in any event - I think that the women in modern first-world countries who end up getting into prog are going to be those who have, by virtue of early experiences, family environment, and possibly neurological makeup, managed to like what they like regardless of what the mainstream culture expects of girls. In my case I had a father who was into prog, plus I am on the autism spectrum, so maybe those things contributed. I never really felt beholden to acting like a "girl", Iat least in the sense of gravitation toward or away from particular interests based on gender role stuff.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 00:31

This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Like many others on this thread, you appear to be merely disseminating the very cliched stereotypes that prejudice people against certain types of music i.e. very little Prog IMO is even tenuously preoccupied with 'science fiction, wizards' or 'out of body experiences' and the only people who believe that to be the case are those who have never actively listened to it or treat your comments as the only confirmation bias they will ever need.

So you believe prog rock is as popular among women as it is among men?

I do take your point regarding my rather flippant comments about what prog rock is all about, but in my experience prog gigs are attended by far more men than women, and prog rock is appreciated more by men than it is women. It's a simple reality.

That said, I was quite surprised by how many women attended the last Rush concert I went to, but then there are those don't think Rush is prog!   

No, I am not on record as believing Prog is equally popular between the sexes Wink but you are correct that more men like Prog than women. (but not for the reasons lazily trotted out in this thread and others) I might be comparing apples and oranges here, but Football is a really good example of something that until fairly recently was considered an impenetrable male enclave. There are now millions of females worldwide who attend soccer matches and follow their favourite teams with great knowledge, passion and enthusiasm. It does seem clear however that there will never be as many females as males follow football but given sufficient time, the sexists, reactionaries, snobs, dinosaurs and 'Andy Grays' that populate both Prog and 'the beautiful game' will finally be consigned to an embarrassing past.
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 02:32
Originally posted by Big Ears Big Ears wrote:

There's been numerous female members of this forum. In remember Threefates quite well. I think she used to actually know ELP.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 05:31
Maybe she just gave up like I'm about to. I mean 12 pages of this nonsense?
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 06:52
Originally posted by Kepler62 Kepler62 wrote:

Maybe she just gave up like I'm about to. I mean 12 pages of this nonsense?

Are you still here?? Confused
WE I thought you slammed the door a few days ago!! Tongue (we were hoping you'd keep your word)Unhappy

just to make sure you do (exit for good), we'll keep this thread alive for another 12 pagesStar

===============

ThreeFates (Linda) was quite a character and sort of left in the third or fourth year of existence of the site's forum. She got married and didn't want her new hubbie to find out she loved prog (grounds for an instantaneous divorce with un-proggy husbands)
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 07:44
Why do so few men run countries in Europe 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 08:19
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

because out of 28 member states there are 5 female presidents and 4 female prime ministers which clearly indicate that either pesky arithmetic or character references from your guy are the culprit

Edited by ExittheLemming - June 08 2017 at 08:23
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 08:35

because out of 28 member states there are 5 female presidents and 4 female prime ministers which clearly indicate that either pesky arithmetic or character references from your guy are the culprit
My post was rubbish, in the spirit of this thread Tongue

Having said that, look at your old empire, or the old Reich, currently run by women. That should give wart-swamped misogynists headaches even though, dammit,  women don't like Jon Anderson's nonsense in the same rates as men. 
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 08:49

My post was rubbish, in the spirit of this thread Tongue

Having said that, look at your old empire, or the old Reich, currently run by women. That should give wart-swamped misogynists headaches even though, dammit,  women don't like Jon Anderson's nonsense in the same rates as men. 

There's been a lot of rubbish posted in the thread but that's like blaming the paint factory for the graffiti. i think the topic thought provoking and worthwhile but have no idea how the historical British Empire equates to an 'old reich run by women'. Jon Anderson might actually make more sense than you do?Wink
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 08:56
Tongue 
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 10:14
Originally posted by CorwinA CorwinA wrote:

Ok - I honestly find it kind of hilarious that *yet another* one of my interests has been deemed Boy Stuff. I mean, I'm used to it by now given I grew up being into space Lego and Star Wars and video games and whatnot; by the time I got to college (majoring in electrical engineering) I was so accustomed to being surrounded by dudes that encountering another female in my chosen territory often actively weirded me out. 

That said...I think all this discussion of "why aren't more women into prog" is essentially the same conversation that happens when people start speculating on why more women aren't STEM majors / engineers/ etc. And the answer is the same: "it's complicated". Honestly, I think a lot of it is down to a feedback loop: way back in the day, before birth control and such, women were often relegated to a life of baby-having and domestic duties from a fairly young age. Now, even in first-world situations where we have more of a choice regarding such things, and where there is generally a built-in egalitarian expectation surrounding domestic labor proliferated throughout mainstream culture, little kids still get bombarded from all sides with expectations of gender-role performance. Even if it isn't overt or shoved down throats, so to speak, most children pick up and absorb a ton of ideas from their society and family groups, and are compelled, consciously or not, to behave accordingly. There *may* be a biological component to some of this, but I would assert it is minuscule compared to social feedback loops. I mean i have literally seen people try to claim that girls are drawn to pink because cave-women used to forage for red berries, which is just absurd, especially considering until around the 1930s or thereabouts, blue was considered a girl color and pink was for boys. 

But in any event - I think that the women in modern first-world countries who end up getting into prog are going to be those who have, by virtue of early experiences, family environment, and possibly neurological makeup, managed to like what they like regardless of what the mainstream culture expects of girls. In my case I had a father who was into prog, plus I am on the autism spectrum, so maybe those things contributed. I never really felt beholden to acting like a "girl", Iat least in the sense of gravitation toward or away from particular interests based on gender role stuff.

Well said. I find it strange that people still discuss not enough women in STEM in a "maybe women are not so logical etc" kind of light.  One of my cousin sisters is an engineer, another is studying engineering.  A friend of mine studied engineering and now works in Germany (I am from India). I know or know about so many women studying or working in such fields so why these gender stereotypes still hold so stubbornly is a mystery to me.  Another cousin of mine is only just getting into college and has already devoured those forbidding tomes written by Russian authors (you know which ones I am talking about) and has discussed last year's presidential elections (she lives in the US) as well as AI among many other 'manly' topics with me.  By the by, nowhere near as many men are interested in stuff like sci-fi, D&D or Tolkien as men like to believe.  It's just that men seem to dominate this minority but it's a minority still.  Yeah, yeah, I do know Star Wars or LOTR were hits and that's not what I am talking about. People who are hardcore into it are a minority so it's not at all clear that it's a man thing, more that it's a weird thing, just like prog.
infocat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 08 2017 at 23:07
Originally posted by rogerthat rogerthat wrote:

Originally posted by CorwinA CorwinA wrote:

Well said. I find it strange that people still discuss not enough women in STEM in a "maybe women are not so logical etc" kind of light.  One of my cousin sisters is an engineer, another is studying engineering.  A friend of mine studied engineering and now works in Germany (I am from India). I know or know about so many women studying or working in such fields so why these gender stereotypes still hold so stubbornly is a mystery to me.  Another cousin of mine is only just getting into college and has already devoured those forbidding tomes written by Russian authors (you know which ones I am talking about) and has discussed last year's presidential elections (she lives in the US) as well as AI among many other 'manly' topics with me.  By the by, nowhere near as many men are interested in stuff like sci-fi, D&D or Tolkien as men like to believe.  It's just that men seem to dominate this minority but it's a minority still.  Yeah, yeah, I do know Star Wars or LOTR were hits and that's not what I am talking about. People who are hardcore into it are a minority so it's not at all clear that it's a man thing, more that it's a weird thing, just like prog.
Isn't your cousin's sister also your cousin?  Shocked
--
Frank Swarbrick
Belief is not Truth.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 00:23
Yes, didn't mention it specifically because she is the engineer cousin I mentioned a few lines before that.
CorwinA View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 09 2017 at 08:34
I think the stereotypes hold due to cultural inertia, plus the fact that not everyone has the energy to fight stereotypes all day when they're trying to do a thing. For a long time online I remember it being like this big shock when someone would "reveal" that they were female, as if we aren't half the population or something to begin with. The assumption that females don't (or worse, shouldn't) exist in certain fora tends to drive a lot of otherwise interested participants away. I tend to see such situations as a challenge, personally, but I can understand why some would just not want to bother.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 10111213>