Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy dont many girls like prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Why dont many girls like prog?
    Posted: April 27 2017 at 06:59
Ive met none. So I'm really curious because I have met girls that are super pasionate about other genres like punk and normal rock but none that like prog. Well scratch that I've met girls that like Pink Floyd but I mean Pink Floyd is super easy prog to get into, no odd time signatures except for like Money (correct me if im wrong). But besides that It seems girls just dont like prog.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 08:04
I've know a few, but not many. My Friend Nilou loves King Crimson, Yes, Jethro Tull, etc. A tennis player I work with, Sophia Buruslaya, loves Rush, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Renaissance, and the likes. My ex girlfrien Susan, loves all progressive music (unfortunately that's all we had in common). Other than that, not many. Some like Annie Haslam's music, the more mellow side of her, but that's about it, as far as I know. 
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 08:51
I don't know - maybe you can't dance to it? Sorry, that might be stereotyping (or not).
My wife does like Rush, and Floyd, and Supertramp, but stops at what she calls "old Genesis", etc.
She did like the Hackett concerts we attended (at least she didn't sit and frown through them), but balked at the Tull concerts.
It's strange as she (like me) is heavily into classical music, and prog really fits in a similar vein (at least in my humble opinion).
Welcome to the middle of the film.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 08:53
Good thing as far as I'm concerned.

Prog is one of the last all-male bastion.
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 09:32
Why don't most people like prog?
Magma America Great Make Again
Luqueasaur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 09:44
It's not that "many girls don't like". It's more like "MOST PEOPLE" don't like. If you go on prog communities, you'll see plenty of girls. Sure, not 50/50, but maybe things on the sort of 60/40.

I've actually seen three people irl that like prog, two of them being boys and one being a girl. So for me it goes as 66/33 (not counting myself :P).
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 09:59
My wife does not connect "prog" with the bands we have seen in concert, she could give a rats-a$$ about odd times, mellotrons, flutes and such. It's the music, is it interesting and does it create enjoyment to listen to or watch an artist live.
Yea she likes Rush, Neal Morse, Dream Theater, Pink Floyd and post PG Genesis....We have seen Steven Wilson 2x and she knows him as the guy who plays barefoot, she likes him.

We were in line to see Dream Theater several years ago, people here in Seattle have no clue who Dream Theater is...some people asked her who we were standing in line for and she said "a rock concert, they are a hard rock band". Clap

As Steven Wilson told us in his last show here in Seattle......"We are a rock n roll band.....". Only we, this insane group of people, call this music prog....That's our problem if we are concerned with why more people do not like this music.

It's just rock n roll....
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 10:08
Because they are smart.

My wife enjoyed Magma live,  but said she enjoyed watching how into it I was more than the music itself. As a general rule, music in all its forms is not something that gets a lot of thought with her. I think that's what most people think. In a subjective and absolutely non-empirical sense, I suspect a larger percentage of women feel that way.

Edited by Tapfret - April 27 2017 at 10:09
Harmonicbliss View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 10:17

Because its not an instant gratification the way most music is. There aren't things to readily able to latched on to. it requires a lot of work to dissect, and relisten and appreciate.

I'm not saying that there aren't women that love or get in to prog. My wife does a very good job of listening to our nightly music album without much Guff. But if i let her pick tales of topographic oceans or teegan and sara.
Well- I'm sad to say Yes would not win that battle.
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 10:18
There are plenty of women at ProgDay & RIO, mix is probably 75:25.
Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 10:36
Because woman are from Venus, silly.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 12:02
I know a few more men than women who are into music generally, but those women, while not really being "prog fans" in the first place, like quite a bit of it (and at least two like super-experimental noise avantgarde, so some reasons such as "can't dance to it" don't apply).
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 12:10
Because only intelligent people can enjoy prog and intelligence is rare in females.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 12:36
No gender judgment here but from my experience men are generally much more into music  (not just prog) than females. Maybe it's just my generation. Also now that I think of it, I believe women are much more inclined towards visual arts. Perhaps that could be an interesting case to study actually....
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
silverpot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 12:54
Last time this subject came up, I posted a link to a scientific study about hearing, I can't find it now, but it stated that women have a much more acute sense of hearing. So maybe  some kind of prog, the noisy, dissonant kind, gets on women's nerves. I know I'm sensitive to music that sounds like nails on a blackboard (like Hammill's voice LOL ).
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 13:06
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

Only we, this insane group of people, call this music prog....That's our problem if we are concerned with why more people do not like this music.

I think this is a big part of it. It's not that women don't like prog, because in general I've actually known them to like it quite a bit. I've put on Yes, Genesis, PFM, Harmonium, Focus, Mike Oldfield, Gentle Giant, and all shapes and sizes of jazz fusion, at parties and get-togethers. Did everyone with ovaries leave the room screaming? Of course not; everyone just enjoyed it as they would any other classic rock. If you just present prog as what it is - good music - as opposed to a profound philosophy lecture or moving mythological epic, prog can actually have a pretty wide appeal. 

So it's not that women don't like prog, it's just that they don't obsess about it the way men tend to. 
when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 13:15
The question is why don't many girls like us ?    Answer: prog.

And before anyone takes Vompatti's post seriously he's just having fun being provocative.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 13:20
Yeah, we can hear the hysterical yelling in the far distance.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 13:31
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

The question is why don't many girls like us ?    Answer: prog.

And before anyone takes Vompatti's post seriously he's just having fun being provocative.

Sorry, I already reported Vompatti...There should be a knock at the door soon.

Edited by Catcher10 - April 27 2017 at 13:31
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 27 2017 at 13:44
Prog is such a mixed bag, especially as we use it here. There is such diversity of style and it would be a rare person who enjoys Prog in all its diversity. I don't think Prog is inherently good music. Bach widely is considered to have made good music, but that doesn't mean that everyone should like it. The quality varies, and even then quality is so dependent upon subjectivity.

We've had this discussion many times over the years, by the way. My mother, who usually only listens to classical music, likes Aranis, and my wife, who is onto music such as John Denver, the carpenters and Abba likes the Alan Parsons Project, but neither of them would like, say, Mr. Bungle or any thing metal or hard rock. I like Art Zoyd, and I don't like Dream Theater. I like Prog Folk much more than Prog Metal, I like RIO much more than Neo Prog, and I like Progressive Electronic generally mconsiderably more than Symph.

Using Gentle Giant as an example as I used to be very big on the band, my wife likes Gentle Giant's "Think of Me With Kindness" and my mum likes "On Reflection". A female friend of mine who like classic rock enjoyed "Nothing at All". As long as someone, male or female is a big music lover with somewhat eclectic tastes, chances are that you could find music considered Prog that would appeal to them.

I don;t even consider myself to be a Prog lover, I just happen to love a lot of music that is considered to be under the Prog umbrella. I dislike a great amount of it too.

That said, despite having the reputation in Prog circles of being the ultimate Don Jaun or Casonova, I don't have a huge female fan base to discuss music with. In my somewhat limited experience, and I know that such anecdotal evidence is not of much value, I have found more women/ girls who appreciate the lyrics part of music rather than the instrumental aspect and simple pop songs have been more popular than eccentric long-winded instrumentals. I have also found that the lyrics have resonated more with women I know that deal with emotions such as love than, say, songs about the adventures of intergalactic space pirates. They have wanted lyrics that they could easily relate to rather than fantastical subject matter. I rather think women tend to be rather more pragmatic and down-to-earth than men.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 13>