Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhy dont many girls like prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>
Author
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 23:05
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Originally posted by Eviltwin Eviltwin wrote:

Originally posted by Eviltwin Eviltwin wrote:

I'm a girl and I'm addicted to prog, please don't stereotype lol

Is your 'Eviltwin' feminism ?

LOL Just a reference to a movie I saw 

Oh nice. Hey. I'm just having a 'go' at ya. All in good fun, but what movie reference is that from?

The Dark Mirror Smile
Eviltwin View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 23:16

Wait? Is it Army of darkness?

No, but it easily could be. I like that movie, it's hilarious
skog_prog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 30 2017 at 23:36
I have only met one girl who said she liked prog but I'm not sure exactly what she meant and didn't ask at the time. My guess is she likes more popular prog like Yes, Rush, etc. But I struggle to find anyone who likes prog let alone women. It's just a genre I think most people don't really hear about unless they really look.
Prog Snob View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 01 2017 at 05:55
Originally posted by ExittheLemming ExittheLemming wrote:

Originally posted by Prog Snob Prog Snob wrote:

For the same reasons most girls don't play Dungeons and Dragons or become Tolkien fanatics. There is an elitism about it, something esoteric that most people do not get.

That seems like a rather lazy association of ideas. Very little Prog actually makes reference to Elves, Goblins, Wizards or other typical elements of fantasy literature. This is only true for post-punk music journalists, and girls are clearly way too smart to either read or believe them. Perhaps the knowing irony of someone fashioned as 'Prog Snob' is an elitism and esotericism that people do not get?

Well, my username is more facetious than anything. I find most prog fans and prog musicians to be exceedingly open minded in regards to music, which discredits labeling one as a prog snob.

I don't think it's a "lazy association of ideas". I don't recall saying that prog makes references to the creatures you mentioned above. I was merely analogizing the esoteric cliques that are generally associated with such fanbases.

Edited by Prog Snob - June 01 2017 at 05:56
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 08:30

For the same reasons most girls don't play Dungeons and Dragons or become Tolkien fanatics. There is an elitism about it, something esoteric that most people do not get.

That seems like a rather lazy association of ideas. Very little Prog actually makes reference to Elves, Goblins, Wizards or other typical elements of fantasy literature. This is only true for post-punk music journalists, and girls are clearly way too smart to either read or believe them. Perhaps the knowing irony of someone fashioned as 'Prog Snob' is an elitism and esotericism that people do not get?

Well, my username is more facetious than anything. I find most prog fans and prog musicians to be exceedingly open minded in regards to music, which discredits labeling one as a prog snob.

I don't think it's a "lazy association of ideas". I don't recall saying that prog makes references to the creatures you mentioned above. I was merely analogizing the esoteric cliques that are generally associated with such fanbases.

Yeah, we all get the bit where 'facetious' becomes a virtue post-modern irony (love) When I was choosing my own user name I considered 'clueless hippy c.u.n.t' but dismissed this as a tad too inflammatory for the site's moderators. You appear to believe that people who might know little about Prog e.g 'girls' are put off by the very 'lazy association of ideas' that you clearly continue to disseminate. Why do you think that an aversion to Dungeons and Dragons or Tolkien is an obstacle to appreciating Prog? You will not meet anyone on this site who loathes both these 'esoteric cliques' with more unbridled vitriol than me (just ask Dean)
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 09:39
There was a young woman, maybe in her in early to mid twenties, who worked in a record store who used the term "prog" without any help from me. This was maybe ten or eleven years ago too. Then again she worked in a record store so maybe it's not that surprising.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 02 2017 at 09:40
timothy leary View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 10:15
11 pages is probably enough
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 20:58
Probably for the same reason women aren't as likely to play D&D or MtG, or identify themselves as women when they play online video games: Because when they do, they're mobbed by thirsty dudes desperate for a date, condescending jerks who will bombard them with "Oh, you say you're a prog fan? Name five albums that aren't by Yes, Genesis, King Crimson, or Pink Floyd then," and the general culture of "This is a male activity. Feeeeeeeeeeeemales get out."

I wonder how many users of this forum are women but are afraid to say something because of the response they'll get - fears that don't seem particularly unfounded given the contents of this thread. I know if I were a woman, even just seeing people posting threads about why women don't like prog would probably make me want to nope out.
rogerthat View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 02 2017 at 22:30

Yeah, we all get the bit where 'facetious' becomes a virtue post-modern irony (love) When I was choosing my own user name I considered 'clueless hippy c.u.n.t' but dismissed this as a tad too inflammatory for the site's moderators. You appear to believe that people who might know little about Prog e.g 'girls' are put off by the very 'lazy association of ideas' that you clearly continue to disseminate. Why do you think that an aversion to Dungeons and Dragons or Tolkien is an obstacle to appreciating Prog? You will not meet anyone on this site who loathes both these 'esoteric cliques' with more unbridled vitriol than me (just ask Dean)

Indeed, and I fail to see what is so esoteric about D&D or LOTR. 
KingCrimson250 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 10:09
You know what? I managed to work up the stomach to read through a good chunk of this thread, and I can safely say that many women who are interested in prog may end up being put off just by the attitudes displayed in this thread.

"Women prefer simple music"

"Women only like music with hot guys"

I mean, holy hell. Casual sexism is what's for breakfast, apparently. I reiterate, if I were a woman and I saw things like that, that'd be enough for me to say "You know what? Maybe liking prog is something I'll keep to myself."

I will say that part of the issue is that for the most part, prog (especially obscure prog) tends to be discovered through communities like this one, and just about every message board I've ever been on, irrespective of the subject matter, tends to be male-dominated. I think it's a holdover from the time back in the 90s when computers in general and the internet in particular was a white male thing. I remember guys who spent a lot of time on the internet were made fun of and bullied for being nerds, but not nearly to the same extent as girls who spent a lot of time on the internet. People were just vicious to them. I'm still not clear on why.

In any case, my point is that the early years of the internet were heavily antagonistic towards women (not that the current years aren't, mind you), which resulted in the whole concept of message boards and music communities being kind of a guy thing, which resulted in them forming into little online boys clubs, which resulted in many women checking them out and thinking "Well I sure don't feel welcomed here." I wouldn't say that this continues to be the rule for more contemporary communities, but it sure is the case for oldschool style message boards like this one. 
proger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 12:15
can you be in a long-term(live with) relationship with a female who does not like prog? i mean when you can feel she have no connection to the genre at all?

its weird because for me some girls were super-nice and intelligent but they were listening to bruno mars and one direction( all that crap...), its hard...

...live for tomorrow...
bankstatement View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 21:36
As a girl that likes prog, I've met about an equal number of guys and girls that like prog. It depends on the community. Some online groups I've been in have been vast majority girls, some vast majority guys, but a lot have been about equal. I have seen some communities that weren't welcoming towards girls (and some were just not welcoming in general Tongue), but luckily most I've been in are very nice. There are probably more girls that like prog than you think, they just might not be on Prog Archives, or post here often, or even reveal they are a girl.

I've met very few prog fans in real life, but a good number of girls I know from online prog groups go to gigs pretty often. So I suppose online, it may depend on the community, but there seem to be quite a bit of girls attending concerts and being active in the prog scene as well.
OpenLens View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 18:26
I think that girls share their interests much more than guys. prog isn't easy to share because for many people it takes a while to understand it. Same reason it's not really on the radio anymore.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 19:30
If you guys go to prog festivals or prog shows you will see women there trust me. Maybe not many younger women(although even that is starting to change) but they are there even if most of them are with their husbands or boyfriends. 

I think women tend to be intimidated by places where they don't feel like they fit in or feel safe and I think you don't see many women on online prog forums for that reason. I have seen it happen several times over on progressive ears(probably the second biggest prog forum next to this one)where a woman would join, introduce herself and then promptly disappear after only a few posts rarely(if ever)to return. If the woman is attractive and or young the guys on there will assume she's not who she says she is and start questioning her which also prompts them to leave. So in some ways it's certainly understandable being how a lot of guys act around them why they would not go to a prog forum very often. I'm sure there's many more who lurk than actually post for those reasons. 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - June 06 2017 at 19:33
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 19:48
Originally posted by proger proger wrote:

can you be in a long-term(live with) relationship with a female who does not like prog? i mean when you can feel she have no connection to the genre at all?

its weird because for me some girls were super-nice and intelligent but they were listening to bruno mars and one direction( all that crap...), its hard...

It is possible but yeah, I feel ya, it's saddening (especially for me when music is the only thing I do in life, lol)
Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 06 2017 at 19:54
^The only thing you do? You don't eat, drink, sleep, watch tv, read, go to work, watch movies, exercise, hang out with friends? 
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 04:59
I have been married for a considerable period. My wife likes pop music - she primarily listens to "The Carpenters", "Rumer" and boy-bands - anything about love that is a ballad mostly. Is she representative of her age/sex? possibly. On the few occasions she has been exposed to progressive rock or metal she always says "How can you listen to that noise?" so I sigh and put my head-phones on and close my eyes.....Musically we are never going to be compatible....Opposites attract?? 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 05:08
Girls do like Prog, and also Extreme Metal - they're just few and far between. Simples
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 05:55
Some women obviously do like prog, but I think it's fair to say more men like it than women. It's not sexist or unreasonable to make that observation. It just is what it is.

Why do more women than men like One Direction?

Women prefer dancing to men, and are generally better at it. Most women I know prefer songs about human experiences, not science fiction, wizards or out of body experiences. I don't know why, they just do.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 07 2017 at 06:40
Originally posted by Blacksword Blacksword wrote:

Some women obviously do like prog, but I think it's fair to say more men like it than women. It's not sexist or unreasonable to make that observation. It just is what it is.

Why do more women than men like One Direction?

Women prefer dancing to men, and are generally better at it. Most women I know prefer songs about human experiences, not science fiction, wizards or out of body experiences. I don't know why, they just do.

This is a self fulfilling prophecy. Like many others on this thread, you appear to be merely disseminating the very cliched stereotypes that prejudice people against certain types of music i.e. very little Prog IMO is even tenuously preoccupied with 'science fiction, wizards' or 'out of body experiences' and the only people who believe that to be the case are those who have never actively listened to it or treat your comments as the only confirmation bias they will ever need.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213>