Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDo you ever dream in prog?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 03:57
I Dream The Electric Sleep, occasionally.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 05:15
Yes.  I find the majority of my prog dreams quite pleasurable.  Occasionally the wurm turns and I find myself  playing guitar on stage.  Anxiety ensues when, I realize Progachives will lambast YES and "Yours Truly" for displacing Steve Howe. YIKES!
TeleStrat View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 07:25
No, never.
In fact, there is never music of any kind in my dreams.
surrogate people View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 07:50
Very few times I dreamed melodies which ended up being from sogs I already knew. I'm no Paul Mc Cartney.
Surrogate People they walk on by, they walk on by
When they replace you
They live your life, they live your life
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 08:57
I wish I could mic up my dreams in some magical way. I've heard some of the most interesting music in my sleep. I am not sure I can describe it though. Some of it could probably be listed on PA.
Other times music simply invades my dreams. I've heard the full Atom Heart Mother suite a couple of times like that.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 01 2017 at 09:09
Prog dreams about me.

One time I dreamed I found a pack of Belmont cigarettes on the sidewalk; I woke up and walked down the street...and found a pack of Belmont cigarettes. That was by far the most progressive dream I've ever had.

Magma America Great Make Again
Replayer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 08:17
I just had a dream last night where Mike Oldfield was playing a early 80s Tangerine Dream style composition. The strange thing is that he looked like he did in music video where he mimed playing Heaven's Open for a German studio audience and he was playing an instrument I can only describe as a large circle made of looped corrugated plastic hose that was played by expanding and contracting sections of the hose, which resulted in LED lights turning on and off within the hose.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 08:27
Never thought of it that way. mostly (I imagine!) because I do not think of music as "progressive" or "this or that" at all.

My dreams bring out a lot of what I write, be they poetry or short stories, and Iwork with them a lot, and pay special attention to the non-rem (whatever they are called, right?) stuff, since the first level is a mish-mash of daily stuff.

However, in many of those I have been with Daevid Allen and on his workshops and I did not play a guitar, but was able to communicate and talk and create words for the music that was being created at the time. For me, that is a far out thing, since being "tuned" means that one can feel what/where things might be, and how to interpret them.

A couple of other entertaining moments, have been a very long discussion with Edgar Froese about art, and how he saw it (he kinda didn't in a way! He thought most of it was just a moment in time, not art). A few others will remain private as this is all part of a book I am putting together of things that (FOR ME) explained some levels in music that have no definition. 

Another great example, and hopefully you can go through it one day, is Peter Brook's "The Tightrope", and I have seen many a rehearsal and concert by King Crimson, in exactly the same way, and it is the main reason why I mention a lot of times, what might be the process of how King Crimson comes alive and creates music. On his own, by himself with his electronics, RF is a completely different person, and he merely allows the sound to take him anywhere it goes, and to me, that is far more interesting, because as individuals we can go further than we can as a group ... it is much more difficult to "come together" than it is to come apart.

None of this is "progressive" for me ... as I consider this all a part of our life, be it called "inner" or "outer"m since, in the end, it is exactly the same person, and we really do not have any criteria to define one as true and the other false, or vice versa.
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
WeepingElf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 11:49
I also have prog in dreams occasionally. In one dream, I heard a King Crimson song Frankie Goes To Hollywood's "The Power of Love" was a cover version of, with Mellotron and all that. In another, I was in an Elven city, and a band of Elves played Yes-like music.

... brought to you by the Weeping Elf

"What does Elvish rock music sound like?" - "Yes."

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 02 2017 at 13:12
No! Nada! Never!!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Kustin View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 08:33
I remember hearing the intro to "On The Backs of Angels" as if it was played by a string orchestra, which was at the time before Dream Theater's self-titled album was released (and had an actual orchestra in two tracks).
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 09:08
I remember I dreamed I was playing Xanadu on guitar (the Rush song, not that one by Olivia Newton-John). Must have been back in 1981 or 1982. When I woke up, I tried to reproduce it and this worked out quite well Smile.

That was the only time I dreamed in prog, as far as I can remember.

Edited by someone_else - May 03 2017 at 09:09
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 03 2017 at 12:27
whooo hoooo... oh this ought to be good...

Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

Never thought of it that way. mostly (I imagine!) because I do not think of music as "progressive" or "this or that" at all.

My dreams bring out a lot of what I write, be they poetry or short stories, and Iwork with them a lot, and pay special attention to the non-rem (whatever they are called, right?) stuff, since the first level is a mish-mash of daily stuff.

However, in many of those I have been with Daevid Allen and on his workshops and I did not play a guitar, but was able to communicate and talk and create words for the music that was being created at the time. For me, that is a far out thing, since being "tuned" means that one can feel what/where things might be, and how to interpret them.

A couple of other entertaining moments, have been a very long discussion with Edgar Froese about art, and how he saw it (he kinda didn't in a way! He thought most of it was just a moment in time, not art). A few others will remain private as this is all part of a book I am putting together of things that (FOR ME) explained some levels in music that have no definition. 

Another great example, and hopefully you can go through it one day, is Peter Brook's "The Tightrope", and I have seen many a rehearsal and concert by King Crimson, in exactly the same way, and it is the main reason why I mention a lot of times, what might be the process of how King Crimson comes alive and creates music. On his own, by himself with his electronics, RF is a completely different person, and he merely allows the sound to take him anywhere it goes, and to me, that is far more interesting, because as individuals we can go further than we can as a group ... it is much more difficult to "come together" than it is to come apart.

None of this is "progressive" for me ... as I consider this all a part of our life, be it called "inner" or "outer"m since, in the end, it is exactly the same person, and we really do not have any criteria to define one as true and the other false, or vice versa.

good god man...  I hope someday to get to meet you and proceed to get you sh*t-faced ...

I bet you are an animal man...
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 01:00
Prog (or any other music... which means some classical and rock) dreams only while awake.

Never jazz.

Oh well too bad never mind.
BarryGlibb View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 03:56
Never
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 06:35
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

whooo hoooo... oh this ought to be good...
good god man...  I hope someday to get to meet you and proceed to get you sh*t-faced ...

I bet you are an animal man...

Actually very quiet and do not say much ... in the 3 hour acting exercise, I did not say a single word in 3 hours, and even the professor wondered why the quietness ... and I said ... do not the expressions, movement and actor details count on the stage?

It tells you that we're too tied to words, and not the rest ... I took lessons from a blind person, and a mute person ... and to me, they still are, today, some 35 years later, the very best teachers of acting, theater and music I have ever seen or had the pleasure of spending time with. 

We have nothing to gain from Rachel Flowers, do we? 
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 15:12
Every night.

Oddly enough I had a dream about Starcastle last night.

Freud would have a field day with that.
brainstormer View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 04 2017 at 22:39
I have probably had about 30 dreams over the years with some prog rock character in it.  I dream almost every night so it's not like it's the predominant theme.   I've had some dreams with Mick Jagger, David Bowie and Paul McCartney, too.   Too bad never had one with a classical composer, that I can remember. 
--
Robert Pearson
Regenerative Music http://www.regenerativemusic.net
Telical Books http://www.telicalbooks.com
ParaMind Brainstorming Software http://www.paramind.net

HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 06 2017 at 12:54
I've dreamed/heard-when-patially-asleep a few times but I wouldn't say it was prog. The first and most intense time was really, really grand classical music on many stringed instruments (I think). Then sometimes I when I fall asleep thinking of a band I'll wake up hearing lyrics sung in the style of that band (it's awesome because it's like the two halves of my brain are working together faster than if I tried to concentrate on something. But I always forget it shortly after waking up) aaaand semirecently I heard some rock with a neat riff and solo.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 07 2017 at 15:22
too much cheese before bedtime and its the whole of Mekanik destrutiw kommandoh...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>