Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedLooking for recommendations, big list inside

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Looking for recommendations, big list inside
    Posted: May 10 2017 at 16:18

Hey all. I’m looking for some recommendations to help fill out my library.

I appreciate all of the groups in this list, but the ones I’ve bolded I’m particularly fond of, I.E, if I’m stoned off my arse on a Friday night, they’re always at the top of the playlist. Bands marked with an asterisk are bands I’ve explored thoroughly, as in I own / have heard most if not all of their work thus far.

Alamaailman Vasarat *

Anekdoten

Anglagard

Art Zoyd

Bacamarte

Between the Buried and Me *

Black Bonzo *

Blind Guardian

Camel *

Can

Caravan

Cynic

Devin Townsend (and some related acts)

Dream Theater *

Dun *

Earthless *

Eloy

Emerson, Lake and Palmer *

Eskaton *

First Band From Outerspace *

Frank Zappa

Free Salamander Exhibit *

Genesis

Gentle Giant

Haken

Happy Family

Happy The Man

Hatfield and the North *

Hawkwind

Henry Cow

Hidria Spacefolk *

Hoyry-Kone *

Iron Maiden

Jannick Top

Jethro Tull *

Kamelot *

Kayo Dot *

Khan *

King Crimson *

Kingston Wall *

Koenjihyakkei *

Korai Orom

Korekyojin

Laurent Thibault

Liquid Tension Experiment

Magma *

Mahavishnu Orchestra *

Marillion

The Mars Volta *

maudlin of the Well *

Miles Davis

National Health *

Nektar

Nemrud

Offering

Opeth

Ozric Tentacles

Pain of Salvation

Patrick Gauthier

Pink Floyd *

Porcupine Tree

Radiohead

Return to Forever

Ruins

Rush *

Samsara Blues Experiment

Setna *

Shub-Niggurath

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum *

Tool *

Ulver

Univers Zero *

Weidorje

Xaal

Yes *

Short of men playing pinecones (and possibly even that,) I'm open to anything and everything. I'd prefer album recommendations as well, since a lot of the best work only really shines in context. Stand out songs are fine though, if you've got 'em.

[Hyperreflective paradigm breaking profundity goes here]
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 16:53
As I already mentioned in another post, I think you'll find lots of things to like in Italy and Germany.

You like Genesis and Camel? You'll love Premiata Forneria Marconi, PFM for short. Start with either Storia Di Un Minuto or Per Un Amico, both beautiful albums and favourites of mine. IMO you can't be on this forum and not love these two. Canadian band Harmonium's Si on Avait Besoin D'une Cinquieme Saison should also be up your alley. For other Italian classics, try out Darwin (Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso), Palepoli (Osanna), Arbeit Macht Frei (Area) to start off maybe, there's lots of progressive stuff from Italy. One of the most prolific scenes.

Krautrock to me is generally dark and cerebral so you should like a lot of it considering you like Univers Zero and Magma. You know Can so that's good. Perhaps get more familiar with the scene with wonderful albums like Ash Ra Tempel (Ash Ra Tempel), Faust IV (Faust), Zuckerzeit (Cluster), Neu! (Neu!), Einsjager & Siebenjager (Popol Vuh) andYeti (Amon Duul II).

I'll also randomly throw in the album Anabelas by Argentinian band Bubu just because it's the first album that was recommended to me on this site and it's magnificient.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 17:02
Also, The Moody Blues, Van Der Graaf Generator, Focus and Mike Oldfield are pretty big names around here that are not on your list. You might want to check them out.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 17:22
Some great recs already - I was thinking along the same lines.

First of all you need some Italian prog in your collection. Seeing your love for ELP I'd say Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys:

For a more contemporary ELP approach yet wholly original we've got Elephant9 outta Norway. Their most recent Silver Mountain is a monster:

I see a lot of Magma related acts in your list but no Heldon. Maybe start out with Interface:

How about a little Canterbury tinged prog from outside of Britain?
COS  - Viva Boma (Belgium):

Supersister - To The Highest Bidder (Holland):

Moving Gelatine Plates - The World Of Genius Hans:

You most definitely also need some modern prog from the good ol US of A.
Try Mirthkon's Vehicle:

Ut Gret's Ancestors' Tale:

And of course some Bent Knee. Preferably Shiny Eyed Babies:

Wow I'll stop with the vids - may have gotten a little out of hand thereEmbarrassed

“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
zravkapt View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 17:55
Holy f**k! (Both at the OP's list and David's vidsLOL) .... I'll give it a shot. Not mentioned yet:

5uu's
Mr. Bungle
Secret Chiefs 3
Ars Nova (Japan)
Comus
Carmen
Art Bears
Picchio dal Pozzo
Unexpect
Goblin

Magma America Great Make Again
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 10 2017 at 21:30
I think the recomendations that first come to my mind have already been given, but I'll second that you need some RPI in your list. I would go with Banco (the debut and Darwin for me), Il Balleto di Bronzo (with YS, of course), Le Orme (with Felona e Sorona), Metamorfosi (with Inferno... perhaps my favourite RPI album, from the little I know), Museo Rosenbach (with Zarathustra), and well, PFM are very well loved, though I found them a bit underwhelming. Moody Blues (Days from Future Past), Harmonium (Si on avait besoin d'une cinquieme saison), and Mike Oldfield (all his 70's albums) are also very good recommendations. I don't recall having read Renaissance (Live at Carnegie Hall, Ashes are Burning, Turn of the Cards, and Scheherazade and other Stories) and Van Der Graaf Generator (I'm not sure which albums I could recommend here, since it's mostly songs but not whole albums that I like from them) on this thread, they should be good to check out too. Also, it seems you are missing some Rick Wakeman (6 Wives, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Arthur, Criminal Record, and Out There are my favourites). Transatlantic (with The Whirlwind) is great too, as well as Edison's Children (with The Final Breath Before November), Iamthemorning too (their three albums, though I liked their last one best, so far). Big Big Train's English Electric albums were very good too. And though I have not heard much more from them, IQ's and Anathema's last albums were very good too (well, from Anathema the one I heard is Distant Satellites, they are just releasing a new album any moment now).
Magnum Vaeltaja View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 08:57
Wow, looks like everyone else has already pulled out the big guns! Clap

I'll second (or third) all the Italian suggestions so far, plus Harmonium and Bubu. All fantastic artists. 

Here are a few more that I'd throw in that haven't been mentioned:
  • Arco Iris - One of the coolest groups out there; Argentinian band with an eclectic blend of avant-garde jazz, psychedelic rock, and Andean folk. Sudamerica O El Regreso A La Aurora, Agitor Lucens V, and Los Elementales are all masterpieces. These guys are a real treat if you're looking for something unique.
  • Cherry Five - Yes-like Italian group; released one self-titled LP in 1975 before regrouping as Goblin (who have been mentioned here); a must-hear for fans of upbeat prog and the Rickenbacker.
  • Island - Pictures is the only album from this Swiss group, and is one of prog's most dark, twisted, deranged, and headspinningly complex trips.  
  • Quella Vecchia Locanda - Classic Italian group with very emotional music; their self-titled debut is more in the folk rock vein (and is my favourite of the two) and the followup, Il Tempo Della Gioia, incorporates more classical influences. Splendid violin work on each.
  • Yezda Urfa - American group from the 70's whose two albums, Boris and Sacred Baboon, are a sort of Yes/Gentle Giant hybrid, with frantic and energetic instrumental and vocal arrangements.
And since it seems that you're into a lot of the more difficult, experimental side of the genre, you should have a blast reading through this thread:

when i was a kid a doller was worth ten dollers - now a doller couldnt even buy you fifty cents
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 11:37

^I second that Cherry Five recommendation! A must.

verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 11 2017 at 11:56

UselessPassion View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 17:04
A lot more here than I had anticipated. Not that I'm complaining, oh no. I'm slowly working my way through them, setting aside a few hours a night to shut out distractions and just get absorbed in front of the speakers. Thanks a bunch, guys. You've already breathed new life into a dull year. I'll definitely be picking up a few of these on CD and vinyl if I can find them.

The two that have really grabbed me thus far are Ash Ra Tempel and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso. The former was a real head trip. But Banco? Now this is just something else entirely. Darwin is probably the best thing I've heard in a long time. It immediately struck that sweet spot for me, where complexity, precision, structure, ambition and a dash of chaos fuse into a sound that is both endlessly beautiful and yet strangely oppressive. Totally digging the operatic vocals, too. Didn't realize I needed that in my life until now. Lamp Anywhere I can find a translation?
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 12 2017 at 21:14
Originally posted by UselessPassion UselessPassion wrote:

A lot more here than I had anticipated. Not that I'm complaining, oh no. I'm slowly working my way through them, setting aside a few hours a night to shut out distractions and just get absorbed in front of the speakers. Thanks a bunch, guys. You've already breathed new life into a dull year. I'll definitely be picking up a few of these on CD and vinyl if I can find them.

The two that have really grabbed me thus far are Ash Ra Tempel and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso. The former was a real head trip. But Banco? Now this is just something else entirely. Darwin is probably the best thing I've heard in a long time. It immediately struck that sweet spot for me, where complexity, precision, structure, ambition and a dash of chaos fuse into a sound that is both endlessly beautiful and yet strangely oppressive. Totally digging the operatic vocals, too. Didn't realize I needed that in my life until now. Lamp Anywhere I can find a translation?

Francesco Di Giacomo is one of the greatest and more special voices I have heard in rock. There's no one I can think of that I would actually consider better... perhaps equals, but not better. Powerful and emotional like no other.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 09:48
Yep, too bad he's no longer with us. :(
Nogbad_The_Bad View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
RIO/Avant/Zeuhl & Eclectic Team

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 10:04
If you like Univers Zero you should really check out Present who are their more electric angrier younger brother.

Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on Progrock.com

https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-avant-jazzcore-happy-hour/
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 13 2017 at 11:40
Zao, Vortex, Eider Stellaire, Soft Machine's Third, Pierrot Lunaire, Guapo and Secret Chiefs 3 are a few that spring to mind.

Tons of great music to discover in RIO/Avant, Canterbury Scene, Zeuhl and Krautrock. I would have mentioned Bubu too had it not already been mentioned. Anabelas blew me away.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 14 2017 at 13:26

The two that have really grabbed me thus far are Ash Ra Tempel and Banco Del Mutuo Soccorso. The former was a real head trip. But Banco? Now this is just something else entirely. Darwin is probably the best thing I've heard in a long time. It immediately struck that sweet spot for me, where complexity, precision, structure, ambition and a dash of chaos fuse into a sound that is both endlessly beautiful and yet strangely oppressive. Totally digging the operatic vocals, too. Didn't realize I needed that in my life until now. Lamp
Glad you like it! The other Ash Ra Tempel albums are significantly different but Schwingungen, Seven Up and New Age of Earth are just as good. Concerning Banco, I never was able to decide if I prefer Darwin! or Io Sono Nato Libero, both are great. The debut is also a must-have.

Keep us updated with your research here! I'm always interested to hear about this kind of stuff.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 15:16
Mostly been diving head long into Banco's work. I put on their 2007 live show in Japan on youtube the other day and it was a real treat. What's this 1991 'remake' of Darwin I'm hearing about?

Listening to Cherry Five tonight. I also checked out Bent Knee and Flame Dream the other day, both unique and enjoyable. I really like Bent Knee's sound, but the album (Shiny Eyed Babies) left me feeling a little cold by the end. They just didn't push their ideas as hard as I would've liked. Flame Dream's Elements felt a bit sparse at first, but as the album went on it struck me that there was a lot more going on than I initially thought. Some lovely compositions in there.

I listened to Area's Arbeit Macht Frei last night. Parts of it worked for me, but all in all, they didn't really pull me in. Not as structured as I'd like, maybe? I'll give it a few more spins.

Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to give me some recommendations. Music is the truest pleasure.
Kepler62 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 17:40
This:

AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 21 2017 at 21:24
Yeah, SML is a great album. One of the most under rated live albums ever imo.

If you like Camel and Yes try Moth Vellum or Sebastian Hardie. Finch were another great band who are kind of like an instrumental version of mid seventies Yes. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 22 2017 at 20:12

Mostly been diving head long into Banco's work. I put on their 2007 live show in Japan on youtube the other day and it was a real treat. What's this 1991 'remake' of Darwin I'm hearing about?

Listening to Cherry Five tonight. I also checked out Bent Knee and Flame Dream the other day, both unique and enjoyable. I really like Bent Knee's sound, but the album (Shiny Eyed Babies) left me feeling a little cold by the end. They just didn't push their ideas as hard as I would've liked. Flame Dream's Elements felt a bit sparse at first, but as the album went on it struck me that there was a lot more going on than I initially thought. Some lovely compositions in there.

I listened to Area's Arbeit Macht Frei last night. Parts of it worked for me, but all in all, they didn't really pull me in. Not as structured as I'd like, maybe? I'll give it a few more spins.

Again, thanks to everyone who took the time to give me some recommendations. Music is the truest pleasure.

So, perhaps now you should go for YS... yeah, I know a song from YS was already posted as a recommendation, but I don't think that was the best option to show. I would say check out the combo "Introducione/Primo Incontro" from that album. Another band I was thinking might do the trick (though more for the soft side of things) would be SBB... though I myself still have to get into them... I have heard a few songs and checked them into my to know bands.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 23 2017 at 16:03
I listened to Il Balletto di Bronzo's Ys, actually. Incredibly energetic, gave me a sort of Japanese zeuhl vibe at times. I imagine Koenjihyakkei would've sounded something like this had they been around in the 70s. I want to say 'ahead of its time,' but I hate that saying so I'll just say it's forward thinking? LOL 

Really, really liked Cherry Five from the moment it began. I'm getting attached to Island's Pictures, too.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>