Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > I Have A Question For You......?
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedToto is prog related

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Toto is prog related
    Posted: May 20 2017 at 03:44
I LOVE THIS SITE! So dont take this critique the wrong way.
     I'm no expert on the band TOTO, but I've heard enough of this band to at least classify it as Prog Related. I've been using this site to research on many bands I felt they have had many moments of prog in their music.
IMHO, These guys along with Rush, Supertramp, Steely Dan, ten cc,Ambrosia, Alan Parsons,Saga,Glass Moon,Trillion and Kansas were keeping the progressive flag flying on the AOR stations in the late 70s. There were quite a few other pop prog bands doing it too. I also know that there's tons of bands on this site that can't hold a candle to these bands. And don't try to tell me that every song has to be prog either.
Thanks for hearing me out.
Prog On!
"I brake for Proggers"
aapatsos View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 04:01
Hi, I love Toto but I think are related to prog-related... their prog references are limited to tracks in albums and I don't think they ever made a full prog-related album.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 20 2017 at 04:54
A very accomplished band certainly but it would be difficult to make a strong case for them being Prog Related as most bands who started circa 1977 kinda missed the maiden Prog voyage. Although their music is certainly influenced by some elements of Prog, I can't discern their own influence on any subsequent Progressive Rock to date. Only Lukather's solo projects seem to step significantly outside mainstream popular styles (and they're headed towards jazz rock/fusion to my ears) Yes I know, we can all cringe at some of the inclusions in the Prog Releated category but those are a historical expediency which served as 'click bait' laid by the site owner to attract visitors when PA was in its infancy
 Post Reply Post Reply