Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs This The Life We Really Want?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Is This The Life We Really Want?
    Posted: June 03 2017 at 11:29
Keeping in mind that Roger Waters is a true rock dinosaur, who was involved with the very first Floyd album Piper At The Gates of Dawn, how do you view his latest and long delayed solo album?

Edited by SteveG - June 05 2017 at 04:03
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 11:36
Go to the Steve Hoffman forums and this similar thread was started in February and is now 80 pages long, 1,986 replies and over 100K views.

And not a single captcha!
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 11:54
Yes, many prog and rock forums have a thread on this album that gos on for days, but its PA members that I want to hear from. You dig?
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 15:32
I dig........but PA members are tired of 'da captcha'......

1) Read Post
2) Think about reply
3) Write thoughtful reply
4) Re-read reply, correct, edit, add info, delete info..
5) Admire your post
6) Hit "Post Reply"
7) Phucked by da captcha!! Angry
8) Repeat 1-5
9) DO NOT REPEAT STEP 6 YET!!!
9) Copy 2nd reply to word or some other document, or open a 2nd PA window.
10) Paste 2nd Post
11) Repeat Step 6
12) Complete captcha process a 2nd time, cross fingers......
13) Did it Post??
14) If not, once u are done with yelling every curse word known to man......
15) Repeat 8-12......
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 15:32
^ BTW...had to post above 2x....bye!!
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 15:34
I'll know when I get it on Wednesday. Unless I get my money sanctioned.
Rolling Stone magazine gave it four stars, Mirror tabloid gave it three stars.
I liked the three songs on YouTube. But there's a fourth track, but those are live and I'd prefer to hear how it sounds on the record.
There is a Poll to be made between this, Rattle That Lock and The Endless River.
Might wait a while to give more people a chance to hear it.
Aussie-Byrd-Brother View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 15:50
I'm on about my fourth listen by now, Steve...and I seem to jump between `This is astonishing' and `I'm sick to death of this already' from track to track!

It's a reliable effort....Water's sounds great, he's obviously spent a lot of time writing lyrics about political themes that are of great interest to him, and there's a constantly lovely production. Moments like the middle of `Bird in a Gale' are exceptional (and unsurprisingly remind quite a lot of Radiohead, which is no doubt due to their producer Nigel Godrich working on this).

But there's probably just a bit too much Waters singing over piano and big orchestration, often strumming variations on the `Pigs on the Wing/Mother' chords that almost sound identical. Also much of the album has very much a `Paint-by-Floyd' approach - ie this bit sounds ALMOST like `Have a Cigar', `Sheep' etc, which seems very lazy and uninspired. It seems a VERY long 55 minutes too.

It's a fine album, no doubt, but I don't think it's going to have the longevity of his previous solo albums, once everyone gets over the `Roger Waters has a new album out' excitement we're all currently wrapped up in. It doesn't really do much that he hasn't offered in the past, especially from `The Final Cut' onwards...and it's frequently very much like `TFC'.

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 03 2017 at 15:54
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 19:05
Yeah, but does he play bass ??
Like I said - I prefer Roger the bassist/composer, NOT Roger the singer/songwriter with acoustic guitar in hand......

Edited by Tom Ozric - June 03 2017 at 19:07
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 03 2017 at 19:16
Roger is credited to bass, but there's also another bass player - Gus Seyffert - listed on the credits. So I'm assuming Gus played the majority of it...Many parts are very much `Rog and his trusty acoustic guitar' kind of thing, and almost all the acoustic guitar stuff sounds exactly like `Pigs on the Wing' and `Mother'....so much so that you'll likely be able to start singing lines from those tracks and they'll fit right in.

From what I recall, the bass is hardly prominent except for one or two pieces, or not enough to take too much notice of. It's barely a `prog' album by any stretch of the imagination except for a couple of tracks. Bass is about as prominent as it was on `The Final Cut', so therefore not really at all.
AZF View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 12:17
Uploaded on YouTube and after one listen I enjoyed it.
I am not replaying it as I would other albums, but rather wanting to listen to it on a CD at louder volume and on better speakers than my Tablet.

I love how he sings as if he is lying in bed beside you on the last song.
Stronger album thanks other solo work. And I think Pink Floyd would have objected to some of the lyrics if it was put to them in the 70's or 80's.
A lot more albums than Rock than this. Also a lot more will PROG than this, but this is the best Roger Waters Music. Can be called Pink Floyd Music, but it sounds as one person vision as The Final Cut instead of Wish You Were Here.
I recommend this. Whatever value my opinion is!

Edited by AZF - June 05 2017 at 05:11
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 13:05
I prefer wines to Waters Embarrassed
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 16:39
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

how do you view his latest and long delayed solo album?

How has this been much delayed...Shocked

First time we heard of Waters' new album was around Gilmour Rattle That Lock album release (Sept 2015, I believe).

Waters said his album was half-written and it would be ready in 18 months... It's barely two or three months overdue, and he's been touring a lot in the meantime.

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

I'm on about my fourth listen by now, Steve...and I seem to jump between `This is astonishing' and `I'm sick to death of this already' from track to track!

It's a reliable effort....Water's sounds great, he's obviously spent a lot of time writing lyrics about political themes that are of great interest to him, and there's a constantly lovely production. Moments like the middle of `Bird in a Gale' are exceptional (and unsurprisingly remind quite a lot of Radiohead, which is no doubt due to their producer Nigel Godrich working on this).

But there's probably just a bit too much Waters singing over piano and big orchestration, often strumming variations on the `Pigs on the Wing/Mother' chords that almost sound identical. Also much of the album has very much a `Paint-by-Floyd' approach - ie this bit sounds ALMOST like `Have a Cigar', `Sheep' etc, which seems very lazy and uninspired. It seems a VERY long 55 minutes too.

It's a fine album, no doubt, but I don't think it's going to have the longevity of his previous solo albums, once everyone gets over the `Roger Waters has a new album out' excitement we're all currently wrapped up in. It doesn't really do much that he hasn't offered in the past, especially from `The Final Cut' onwards...and it's frequently very much like `TFC'.

Well, it's certainly a typical Waters album, and so far I'm enjoying it as much as I enjoyed ATDon the first few spins. And yes, it's nothing new under the sun, but this album's sonics are expanded and

I agree with your general analysis, but I doubt this will have a lesser historical impact than KAOS or Rattle That Lock - whose impact is forgotten already, if it wasn't for the RW/DG rivalry to remind us it 's still recent.

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 18:54
On my eighth listen by now....The run in the middle especially of `Is This The Life We Really Want?' that leads right into `Bird in a Gale' is exceptional. That title track has so much f**king danger to it, the intense orchestration and a perfect vocal delivery from Roger. `Broken Bones' is a very nice ballad too.

But its so frustrating that `Smell the Roses' rips off both `Have a Cigar' and `Another Brick in the Wall' so obviously, `Picture That' is `Sheep': part 2, and all of the acoustic guitar spots sound pretty much identical to `Mother/Pigs on the Wing'...All very lazy musically, even if Rog sounds great on them and the playing itself is great. I kind of worry that people are so praising of it because musically some of it is so easy...just falls back on almost remaking earlier Pink Floyd songs, so it's a great comfort to hear some parts of it for the first time and pretty much already know it. I'm just kind of disappointed that both Rog and Nigel Godrich did that, though. Didn't Rog once accuse Floyd's `A Momentary Lapse of Reason' album of being "A fair forgery" of the Pink Floyd sound? On this album he's a far worse offender!

The album also kind of peters out by the final few tracks, where it falls back on those same acoustic strums and more reprises of the Water/piano/orchestration spots.

But, man, when its good....

Edited by Aussie-Byrd-Brother - June 04 2017 at 18:56
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 04 2017 at 20:45
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

First time we heard of Waters' new album was around Gilmour Rattle That Lock album release (Sept 2015, I believe).

Waters
said his album was half-written and it would be ready in 18 months...
It's barely two or three months overdue, and he's been touring a lot in
the meantime.

Originally posted by Aussie-Byrd-Brother Aussie-Byrd-Brother wrote:

Well, it's certainly a typical Waters album, and so far I'm enjoying it as much as I enjoyed ATDon the first few spins. And yes, it's nothing new under the sun, but this album's sonics are expanded and

I agree with your general analysis, but I doubt this will have a lesser historical impact than KAOS or Rattle That Lock - whose impact is forgotten already, if it wasn't for the RW/DG rivalry to remind us it 's still recent.

The first time I read about Waters preparing a new studio album was when he was on his "In the Flesh" tour. He even played a pair of songs that would suposedly appear on that album. "Each Small Candle" (which appears on the album from that tour, and which I really love), and Flickering Flame (which appears in a studio version on he compilation album... I think with the same name, and which I find somewhat more boring than the other one). And I think he had worked on some other new songs along the years (there was "Leaving Beirut too, which he played when he toured the whole Dark Side of the Moon album). I hoped / expected these songs to end up on his new album, whenever he did end up releasing it. I also remember something about the concepts he had thought for his new album. One was about a taxi driver and the stories he heard when transporting people, and the other was a double album, with one disc having love songs and the other some other theme (war perhaps? He always want to write about war).
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 00:52
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

The first time I read about Waters preparing a new studio album was when he was on his "In the Flesh" tour. He even played a pair of songs that would suposedly appear on that album. "Each Small Candle" (which appears on the album from that tour, and which I really love), and Flickering Flame (which appears in a studio version on he compilation album... I think with the same name, and which I find somewhat more boring than the other one). And I think he had worked on some other new songs along the years (there was "Leaving Beirut too, which he played when he toured the whole Dark Side of the Moon album). I hoped / expected these songs to end up on his new album, whenever he did end up releasing it. I also remember something about the concepts he had thought for his new album. One was about a taxi driver and the stories he heard when transporting people, and the other was a double album, with one disc having love songs and the other some other theme (war perhaps? He always want to write about war).

mmmhhh!!!.. I read you well about Flame and Candle, but it never dawned on me that they were supposed to be part of an album - outside fan speculations, I don't remember Waters announcing an album (but Al Zheimer could strike me about thatLOL). I mean those two track titles are obviously "concept-album" inducing fantasies.

As for the Beirut track, I have no recollection of it and I vaguely remember the taxi-driver project.

==========

The way I'm spinning this album, it's probably ending up on mly top 10 of the year. Clap

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 04:14
Originally posted by Catcher10 Catcher10 wrote:

I dig........but PA members are tired of 'da captcha'......

1) Read Post
2) Think about reply
3) Write thoughtful reply
4) Re-read reply, correct, edit, add info, delete info..
5) Admire your post
6) Hit "Post Reply"
7) Phucked by da captcha!! Angry
8) Repeat 1-5
9) DO NOT REPEAT STEP 6 YET!!!
9) Copy 2nd reply to word or some other document, or open a 2nd PA window.
10) Paste 2nd Post
11) Repeat Step 6
12) Complete captcha process a 2nd time, cross fingers......
13) Did it Post??
14) If not, once u are done with yelling every curse word known to man......
15) Repeat 8-12......
This captcha BS has gotten to the an unbearable point if someone as even tempered as Catcher10 is fed up with it. I don't know if the admins have complained to M@X about it, which doesn't mean that they haven't. However, it's high time we complained, politely, to M@X ourselves via a PM. Whose with me?
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 04:18
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

Waters said his album was half-written and it would be ready in 18 months... It's barely two or three months overdue, and he's been touring a lot in the meantime. 

It follows Amused To Death by 25 years. Seems overdue to me.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 04:27
This may be "artistically cheating", but I'm really enjoying the heavy keys and string arrangements and the throwback, on occasions, to the rhythm section from Animals. I'm not being to critical or analytical about it, for the moment, but just enjoying the album for what it is. Multiple times. Wink
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 04:44

This captcha BS has gotten to the an unbearable point if someone as even tempered as Catcher10 is fed up with it. I don't know if the admins have complained to M@X about it, which doesn't mean that they haven't. However, it's high time we complained, politely, to M@X ourselves via a PM.
Whose with me?

That would probably be what this month long thread has been covering over 8 pages now (for what's it's worth, nothing has changed about it):
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=111123
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 05 2017 at 05:12
^I'm aware of the thread but if the right person isn't reading it, I don't think it does much good. But as a PA colab, you would know better than I.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>