9 [18.75%]
5 [10.42%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 10:46
^ that may be true...  I don't see it. I regular post on 5 other forums upon interests of mine, from history to role playing to board gaming to books and they are alive and doing find.

Music?  One could see that.. talking about music is like talking about sex. what is the point.. get out there and experience it. It is a personal experience and relationship that doesn't really tend well to discussion unless you really have a talent for talking music. Otherwise you get a bunch of polls on what you like and don't like hahah.  What really is there to talk about.. yeah Red heads are freaky and rule.. but will steal your soul..  yeah Genesis wasted a decade before discovering their true talents as purveyors of great pop..  pffff. As any long term member here knows...  new topics are very few and far between.. mostly rehashes of stuff discussd years ago.

but music forums.  Progears is still alive and doing fine. Perhaps they are an outlier.. that site is more clique driven by friendships that extend out of cyberspace into real life. Then there is the Steve Hoffman site I checked out after Jose mentioned it in another thread. Dead? no way.. I saw a 20 page thread on Dione Warwick sititng right next to a long mult-page thread on the new Roger album.  That forum sure as sh*t isn't dead. I've been thinking long and hard about joining it. Looks like a hoot and some damn smart people posting there.. not just parrots and fanboys of particular groups.

internet forums dead and dying?  I'm not seeing it. Perhaps John it is just this forum....

Edited by micky - June 11 2017 at 10:52
Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 11:12
No its not just this forum, allaboutjazz just shut down their forum, which had been running for ten plus years and was quite active at one point.
At this point, I don't know of any jazz site with a particularly active forum, (and there are lots of jazz sites out there) except possibly orgisimo (sp?) and they may be more of a keyboard site, I'm not sure.
I've done searches on articles regarding the death of the discussion forum, its a fairly well recognized fact throughout the internet.

Lucky for you that you still know some that are active, some have survived apparently.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 11:39
oh sure forums come and go... and yeah if you are looking mainly at musical ones you can see where they might be failing at greater than normal rates.  Again.. music is sex man. Don't talk... just get it on!!! Perhaps the Hoffman forum has the right idea..  a grab bag of all music not just focused on a particular listening subset. Which brings me back to....

I did drag out jacob's post for more than one reason though.. sure it was to hammer home for those unaware that yes ..there was indeed a revival but again for the insight he showed.   Perhaps the days of the focused musical forums are as numbered John as those who tend to identify themselves through specific music.  I made this point in the latest version of the girls v. prog thread this forum loves to have every few years and was ignored as usual by kiddies who know as little about women as they do prog.  Men gravitate here for part of being a man is that group association we tend to place upon ourselves.  We have tended to associate ourselves via the music we like.. women? f**k that.. it is just music. not a statement on who they are.  Yet as Jacob sagely noted.. the days of that are ending with today's youth.  Genres.. tags.. labels.. we grew up on it..  and we reveled in our attempts here to characterize to summarize to pound round groups into the square holes of genre ID's. However it is a new world out there..  today's music listener John.. they don't give a f**k it is jazz, prog, or pop. so why would they visit those kind of limited interest forums. All they would seem to care about is only if it is good.. so why would they come here to a site that reeks of age and bands many years in their creative graves. 

as was said. so it is.. it is a new world out there... remember how we had bands beating down our doors ..pestering us to no end to be added to teh database or have their albums reviewed.  Today? where did that go... the labels attached to the music simply don't seem to apply anymore. 
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:03

Anyway, every rule comes with its own exceptions, and I hoped this could be some sort of living, healthy dinosaur of a site (the concept oddly appeals to me).

My biggest concern is to anticipate if the Archives per se will survive the eventual (slow) dying of the forum, because for me it's the database (reviews and all, of course) that remains my main reason of interest.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:12
^ I doubt PA is going away anytime soon, it still brings in revenue, and I have seen that fact for myself.
Many site visitors do not come her for discussion, they are here looking for particular info etc.
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:19
yeah man. Uwe nailed it earlier.. the forum may suck but has nothing to do with the website/database... all good at least until our dear M@X gets tired of his little plaything and all the unruly infants and decides to jettison it ..  of course I've already put my bid in to buy it from him.. and yep.. first thing we do after we recover from the site party I'm throwing of all the booze, blow and broads you all can handle... is move Genesis to PR and delete NEO PROG!!! Hah...
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:23
You give me some peace of mind, then, still usefully and pleasantly using (and massively working on) the DB and expecting to be able to continue to do so.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:24
Re Mickey: I'm quite sure he would sell it before dumping it. I worked with Max on a daily, even hourly, basis for a few years, so I do know a few things.

Edited by Easy Money - June 11 2017 at 12:24
micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:32
no doubt.. I'm sure he would... and Raff and I will buy it from it. I'll even throw in a case of beer and the phone number of a sadistic (hopefully) sex starved redhead who'll rock your world M@X if sell by the end of year haha...
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:40
Count me in, if you'll need a pardenar LOL (I'm a wine, not a beer-man, so be warned)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 12:43
Originally posted by micky micky wrote:

no doubt.. I'm sure he would... and Raff and I will buy it from it. I'll even throw in a case of beer and the phone number of a sadistic (hopefully) sex starved redhead who'll rock your world M@X if sell by the end of year haha...

You can have this site where the guys are still trying to figure out what 'girls' are, but I have my eyes on buying his jazz site.
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 11 2017 at 13:17
I don't know if CAPTCHA's are killing PA. To me they are more like a disease, let's say diabetes. It can be lethal, but one can get old with it if he is not too careless, while cursing the inconveniences that go with it on an almost daily base.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 05:48

^ that may be true...  I don't see it. I regular post on 5 other forums upon interests of mine, from history to role playing to board gaming to books and they are alive and doing find.

What role playing forum(s) are you on?
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 07:32

... and Raff and I will buy it from it. 

This explain everything. M@x is a MACHINE! Obviously this explain the whole captcha thing. 

And the @ in his name never fooled me.... 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 07:53
Originally posted by The T The T wrote:

... and Raff and I will buy it from it. 

This explain everything. M@x is a MACHINE! Obviously this explain the whole captcha thing. 

And the @ in his name never fooled me.... 
Open the pad bay door M@X!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 08:01
Captchas seem to be thriving on the forum. Seems to be the most discussed topic here LOL

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 10:44
Look last thing I want to see is PA die, go away and the DB with it, that would be a shame and a lot of work for naught. I have a suspicion that would never happen.....but u never know I guess.

Maybe the forums portion needs to die off and this truly becomes a DB only site, look up artists and such, almost like a Discogs site. Huge monster site for albums info although it is also a POS site, but very little discussion on anything goes on there.

The Hoffman site is a different breed. Steve Hoffman is a mastering engineer very respected for his craft, working with many different artists releasing many reissues which are highly regarded in the audio world. He is also an audio gear head and that is another huge part of his site, people want to hear their music reproduced in the best possible manner, and there are huge discussions (hot and cold as you can imagine) based on audio gear, just like music a very subjective topic. Serious music lovers are in general, serious about their audio gear.

Hoffman site is very respected, that site is run like a machine, you step out of line and you WILL be called out by the GORTS!! You better read the rules cause the GORTS enforce them, I have seen it happen many times. So threads and posts pretty much for the most part stay on topic and without any problems. Threads will be locked in a skinny minute if they go south.

As micky states, the Hoffman site for music is very generic, you need to create a topic on genre or artist if you want to discuss it, none of those categories are set in the forum. You click on "Music Corner" and go....
I have discussed R&B, Metal, Prog, Funk, Soul, Jazz...all in the same day. if I get bored in music then I can go discuss audio gear or recording process, mastering and the biggest plus for Hoffman is those guys are insane about vinyl and all its info.....And posting your listens, especially vinyl, is great as you can get so much info on certain pressings and sound quality.

I must admit, I find out about new artists on SH almost as much as I used to on PA......without any pulse on a forum how are you supposed to find out info?
PA is still a respected site for prog rock and always will be as long as it is active, I really do not know what it would take to get it back to its glory days.

I'll still pop in every day.......

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 10:57
I think the Hoffman site is great for techs and gearheads, Jose. It's just a bit too much all over the place for me. A Herbie Hancock thread followed by a Monkees' thread is too diverse for me, but it's a heaven for others.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 11:03
Why can't the owners turn it off?

Regarding discussion....start an interesting thread ifn you want to discuss something complex....AND QUIT COMPLAINING ABOUT IT.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 12 2017 at 11:05
True dat Steve........but you gotta love a site where most people feel that Pink Floyd is not prog, and more agree than not LOL.

(3rd time posting this teeny-tiny little sentence of mine.....)

Absolutely INSANE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 7>