Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2019 at 09:34
Hah I take that as a great compliment coming from you Jim. Thanks man
Generally speaking: leather/pleather pads = more bass, velour = gives more of a linear response and Ďairí

Oh and I finally sold the Q701 and the HD58X. Last minute too with regards to the AKG. I almost made the same mistake the last two times I put it up for sale. I listened to it! Had I not just bought the K7XX then I wouldíve annulled the ad..again
But yeah 8 cans in da house!!! Perhaps 7 by the end of the month. I told my friend about the Ollos and that I probably didnít need 2 headphones that sound so similar to each other, even if one is closed and one is not. I basically gave him an offer he (surely! fingers crossed) couldnít refuse. He seemed very excited about the pics I sent him though. Weíll see.

What more? I am basically going in the opposite direction of where I was going earlier on with pricey daps and so forth, so Iíve actually been doing most of my listening via my old iPod nano feeding my Violectric amp and whatever can I wish to use. Itís sooo much easier (and less power consuming) not having to turn on the computer every time I want to listen to music..a computer I donít even use whilst listening.
And I canít hear a dip in sound quality. The only thing different is that I need to turn up the volume considerably as the iPodís output is rather low compared to most stand alone dacs.
I also used to think I could spot the difference between mp3 320 and flac in certain recordings. I canít...which basically means that my iPod or my phone from now on is my go to source.

I think Iíll pop on the AKGs now for some serious old school RPI. Donít know why but I just now developed a craving.
Maxophone and Battiato it is

Edit: maybe I should rearrange the living room so as my headphone amp isnít 5 metres from the cd player and turntable?

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 23 2019 at 09:50
ďThe Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.Ē

- Douglas Adams
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 07 2019 at 13:31
last week I pulled the trigger on the LCD XC's fellas. Clap
These are the most relaxed, warm and fun headphone I've ever owned and have tried with in closed back headphones .
They isolate extremely well and the mid range presence is so forward , so vocals and dynamics are incredibly life like .
I don't recommend these headphones if you guys want all the nuances and transient s that exist in a recording, however the XC's are incredibly wide for a closed back and have some of the most visceral bass I've ever heard from a headphone .
They are warm, easy to drive (20ohms purely resistive ) but are picky with equipment . Sadly as well. These are 1800$ but for what is out there and how the market is these days I can say they are worth it .
Certainly a fun listen . A nice change from my sennheiser hd 800's 

Was listening to vangelis's Direct and got massive goosebumps because of the amazing low end bass presence . things I just cannot get with 800's .

Lastly .I can now listen at night! Won't disturb my little one and I cannot be happier. 
Hope all is well guys .

Enjoy the music !!! 
Raving and drooling I leaned on his neck with a screeeeeeeamm! ;)
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 15:50
I need to think of buying headphones. Now that my girlfriend is moving into my small flat it will be tough...
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 23 2019 at 18:44
Originally posted by Tuzvihar Tuzvihar wrote:

I need to think of buying headphones. Now that my girlfriend is moving into my small flat it will be tough...

A good closed back design headphone will be your best friend .Wink
Try to find a pair that doesn't leak noise and isolated well. 
Sony makes a good budget pair of noise cancelling headphones .Wink
Tuzvihar View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tuzvihar Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 24 2019 at 03:36
^ Thanks for the tip. WinkThumbs Up
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 21:31
Anybody used the Grado SR225e?  Are they more comfortable than they look?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 21:56
Originally posted by Triceratopsoil Triceratopsoil wrote:

Anybody used the Grado SR225e?† Are they more comfortable than they look?

Dude. Iím gonna be straight with you. Grados are not comfortable at all. Just my opinion, but the pads are rock hard and the clamping force is too loose.

There flagship headphones like the PS 1000 are so uncomfortable.

Try a pair of Meze 99 Classics. A fun headphone and great for the cash.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 03 2019 at 21:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Hah I take that as a great compliment coming from you Jim. Thanks man
Generally speaking: leather/pleather pads = more bass, velour = gives more of a linear response and Ďairí

Oh and I finally sold the Q701 and the HD58X. Last minute too with regards to the AKG. I almost made the same mistake the last two times I put it up for sale. I listened to it! Had I not just bought the K7XX then I wouldíve annulled the ad..again
But yeah 8 cans in da house!!! Perhaps 7 by the end of the month. I told my friend about the Ollos and that I probably didnít need 2 headphones that sound so similar to each other, even if one is closed and one is not. I basically gave him an offer he (surely! fingers crossed) couldnít refuse. He seemed very excited about the pics I sent him though. Weíll see.

What more? I am basically going in the opposite direction of where I was going earlier on with pricey daps and so forth, so Iíve actually been doing most of my listening via my old iPod nano feeding my Violectric amp and whatever can I wish to use. Itís sooo much easier (and less power consuming) not having to turn on the computer every time I want to listen to music..a computer I donít even use whilst listening.
And I canít hear a dip in sound quality. The only thing different is that I need to turn up the volume considerably as the iPodís output is rather low compared to most stand alone dacs.
I also used to think I could spot the difference between mp3 320 and flac in certain recordings. I canít...which basically means that my iPod or my phone from now on is my go to source.

I think Iíll pop on the AKGs now for some serious old school RPI. Donít know why but I just now developed a craving.
Maxophone and Battiato it is

Edit: maybe I should rearrange the living room so as my headphone amp isnít 5 metres from the cd player and turntable?

Vioelectric make fantastic amps.
The 281 running in balanced mode is awesome.

7 headphones Dave? You should be a pro reviewer and start a YouTube channel. Lol.
Incredible dude.
Triceratopsoil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Triceratopsoil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 12:08
Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Anybody used the Grado SR225e?  Are they more comfortable than they look?

Dude. Iím gonna be straight with you. Grados are not comfortable at all. Just my opinion, but the pads are rock hard and the clamping force is too loose.

Honestly I think I'm going to get a pair of AKG K271 mkii's, I owned them before and loved them

right now my audiotechnica's are unusable because a tiny piece of plastic broke, easy enough to fix but I'm more upset about what a dogsh*t design decision that is
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 04 2019 at 12:25

Billedresultat for dolly parton tits
Cans. Yup we all love them. Some more than others.

I certainly love Dolly's "cans"

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo pricipiis obsta
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2019 at 22:36

Originally posted by progbethyname progbethyname wrote:

Anybody used the Grado SR225e?† Are they more comfortable than they look?

Honestly I think I'm going to get a pair of AKG K271 mkii's, I owned them before and loved them

right now my audiotechnica's are unusable because a tiny piece of plastic broke, easy enough to fix but I'm more upset about what a dogsh*t design decision that is

Yeah you can do that of course.
AKG make great budget priced headphones. Christ. Even their on ear headphones are comfortable. The 240ís are great. Nice neutral tuning.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: April 05 2019 at 22:39
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

Billedresultat for dolly parton tits
Cans. Yup we all love them. Some more than others.

I certainly love Dolly's "cans"

I just have one question. Are those CANS real?
I honestly wonder what amp you would need to drive those puppies.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 789
  Share Topic