Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Tech Talk
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cans! (Headphone thread inspired by Dolly Parton)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 07:52
Originally posted by Grumpyprogfan Grumpyprogfan wrote:

What do ya'll think about Beyerdynamic DT-880's or ATH-M50's. I love the Beyers... so comfy and neutral. But the AT's have a kick that's sweet.

I’ve owned both on my cans-journey and they are great headphones. I would have kept the Beyer if it wasn’t for it’s lack of low bass (doesn’t show up on a simple frequency response though..but it is easy to hear when a/b’ing with something that can render sound below 45 hertz) - plus I thought it was a tad too sharp in the treble when listening to albums with less than stellar production behind them. Also why I sold off my AKGs. Too much zing in the treble tends to highlight bad production...though with top of the notch produced albums they’re absolutely to die for. Speaking about the DT880 makes me want to buy it yet again actually It is brilliant with the right album.

I could never get on with the infamous Sennheiser HD800 for the same reason although it is way more extreme than the DT880. Far too much energy in the higher registers to these ears.
These days I’m all about enjoying the music, so I have an affinity for somewhat darker headphones ie cans with frequency responses that are somewhat neutral yet slightly tilted to the warm side. Makes all of my music sound brilliant, and I don’t have to irk and writhe whenever I put on say Blocco Mentale’s Poa or Le Orme’s Collage..or any other Rock Progressivo Italiano album that sounds like it was recorded inside a cupboard.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 21 2019 at 08:30
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 21 2019 at 09:30
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I wish I could blast my speakers
..but alas it’s headphones for the time being..and I listen to music all the time..so yeah why not get the finest I can possibly get (afford)?
I’m totally with you regarding a woofer. I’m not sure most folks understand how few speakers there are that can pull off anything below 45 hertz..and if they do it’ll sound like mush half the time. In the end it’s sheer physics and letting the air flow to the lowest of bass registers. Even a cheap woofer will completely transform one’s stereo. Just sounds so much fuller and alive. If you haven’t yet noticed, I’m very jealous
Heck when you listen to A LOT of modern albums or just are watching movies, there is a load of information down low. I think many old school hi-fi enthusiasts snark at the idea of introducing a woofer into their system simply because they think it will overpower the other frequencies and give them Beats-bass that rattles their teeth. Thing is some music is supposed to rattle your teeth! The new Blade Runner soundtrack has those type of sections...or if you sit down to watch an old classic like ‘Das Boot’ you’ll be missing large portions of the soundtrack without a woofer.
Also why I tend to go for cans that reaches looooow...though never in a booming manner. Planars fx are almost always perfectly neutral in the bass..but compared to just about any other openback dynamic driver, planars stay neutral all the way down to 10 hertz ie 10 more than the human ear can pick up.
Sort of funny now that I think of it; I borrowed my Sundara to my uncle a little while back and watching his face listening to it was like looking at a man that suddenly had discovered fire! There were sooo many tracks of his that had information in the lower bass registers...that he’d never ever heard over his beloved HD600. Long story short? He now owns a Sundara

Btw the Shures I was on about are professional iems. They usually cost 99$ or in many cases a little less. Just if you need something with great sound quality on the go that a) doesn’t warm your ears and b) beats most NC cans’ NC function    

Yup spot on. Today most speakers are rarely going below 45Hz as smaller mid/bass drivers are the rage anywhere from 5"-6" drivers. The days of the 15" Cerwin Vega woofers are long gone or even my beloved JBLs, although they just brought on a new line that revises the JBL, but alas I am not forking over $10K for speakers....no-no-no!
A subwoofer is critical if you really want to hear full range music, I will start the crossover at about 80Hz and let the Rega's play everything else above that. The SVS is rated to 19Hz but tested to 17Hz, you don't hear that but for sure you can feel it as it adds that fullness to the music. It's gonna be fun soon as that dang FedEx truck gets here!!Angry
Although just got notice a bunch of records I bought is hitting my door step later today, that should quell my rant for a few hours LOL.
My Monster IEM are pretty old so I'll need new ones soon, maybe for Christmas I will request some Shures, I am sure I will ask your opinion again
Cheers!
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 03:12
You’re always welcome to tap me on my shoulder José I’ll gladly help if I can.

Erm...after conversing back n forth with myself I ended up ordering the Sundara. I genuinely don’t have need for that Mrspeakers planar because I almost never listen to closedbacks anymore. Can’t remember the last time it was needed actually...and when I’m on the go I use iems.
So yeah I took the general sound signature of the Aeon and transferred it over to an openback (minus a little bass heft) and ended up with yet another Sundara. Truth be told I don’t know why I sold it the first time around...oh yeah that’s right I got caught up in a deep Head-Fi rabbithole of ‘upgradeitis’ and sold it off before I could compare it to the Ananda and Arya.
Well I have actually been able to do that in a store not too long ago (actually shortly before I went on holiday) and ended up prefering both the sound and fit of the Sundara to the Ananda. The Arya was ever so slightly better with better bass extension and all-around ‘refinement’, for lack of a more suitable word....but certainly not 1600$ better

So erm yeah...I used to fiddle around with 8-10 headphones in the house...now I am down to 4...come monday...and I am still contemplating selling off the Meze...so maybe 3 in the near future.
In my book that is at least a couple of notches down from ‘insanity’ which is nice. Insanity belongs in stuff like fx collecting thousands upon thousands of albums

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 22 2019 at 03:12
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Howard the Duck View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 05:45
The most expensive pair I've bought are the Sennheisser HD 598's. They're amazingly sharp and clear paired with a quality soundcard (but underperform with non-high-end hardware like my DAP). I'd say they're almost TOO sharp and clear in that they sometimes neutralize some of the albums' original sound, but the level of detail you can pick up is amazing (especially on fade-outs!)
MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 07:42
Are those the brown and white ones? Always loved the comfort of them ever since listening to them back when I went to uni. They had 5 or 6 pairs laying around the ‘computer-den’ where all the gamers hung out. Never actually owned one of them as I sprang for the hd600 instead.

- Douglas Adams
Meltdowner View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meltdowner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 07:59
I'm still enjoying my HE400s although I recently had to replace the cable. The original cable was very fragile and the official replacement was very expensive so I bought one on Amazon and it's even better than the original. I keep having problems with the pads though, they right one comes out from time to time Confused
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 08:16
Yup the cable is a weird sucker. Glad you found a replacement.
If I were you I’d buy a set of Focus pads or some knock-off thereoff ie pleather/leather on the outside of the pad and velour/fabric on the surface that touches your ears. Very very comfortable but even better; they make the bass and low bass neutral all the way down to 20 hertz. As it is it rolls off fairly quick for a planar, but with the focus pads you get a more even frequency response and far better bass (still not a bassy headphone though..just quality bass).
I’d think amazon.uk or amazon.de has them or else you can order from Aliexpress, but you will have to wait three to four weeks as they ship out of China. Shipment is usually free though

Esit: or if you don’t mind eBay they’ll probably have some there.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 22 2019 at 08:17

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 08:43
The 598's are unfortunately quite uncomfortable, but I went with the closed C's without realizing they'd be a tight fit. It also has a weird cable attachment for the headphone jack, completely unnecessary.

BTW when I replaced my cheaper 201s after they died I found at first that they had a different sound, but I've gotten used to them now, and EQ tends to be more effective with them than some of the more expensive cans. Do you guys believe in that whole "burn-in" thing? I did find that the 201s improved with time, but it could just be that I've gotten more used to them myself.

MacGyver can do a super guitar solo with a broom and an elastic band. Can you do better?

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 22 2019 at 08:49
Ahh the closedbacks. Never heard them though but they look rather nice.
If eq is your friend then planars are the way to-go if you ever decide you want to upgrade of just want something ‘different’. They tend to have extremely low distortion numbers meaning you can eq the hell out of them without ending up with weird sonic artifacts.
Burn-in is a joke. Ask any properly educated sound engineer. BUT, and that is a very big but, our ears tend to need time to adjust to new presentations

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 08:12
‘Eeebony aand Eiiivory lived together!’ ahem...yeah alright then

Cream and hot stuff - caramel and sultry chili - those are some of the connotations immediately popping into poppa’s old basket. I am talking about the Audeze LCD-2 Classic as well as the Hifiman Sundara.
The Audeze sounds warm, laid-back, engaging and yet rather detailed as well. Sort of like a less extreme Nighthawk without the belly in the bass. The upper mids are subdued so the deep end feels more elevated because of it - ultimately what makes this dark piece of chocolate taste the way it does..and I am absolutely smitten by it.
It is constantly refered to as being a headphone ‘that likes POWER!!!’ - most of the time supposedly because it is planar magnetic and is of a rather hefty weight (something like 500 grams). That is however complete and utter nonsense. The specs say 70 ohms and 101 dB sensitivity, which is a very easy headphone to drive properly. You could use your phone.
I do prefer it out of my Valhalla 2 and Vali 2 - both with slightly alternating presentations (one is more holographic (Valhalla) and the other is more detailed (Vali)).
Is it 810 something dollars worth? For me yes, but to others I’d strongly suggest a test-drive before purchasing - maybe do one of those, where you have 30 days to decide. Both Amazon and Thomann offer this service.

And then at the very least I’d recommend people check out the Hifiman Sundara before doing anything. Compared to the Audeze, it’s like having been down in the deep sapphire blue oceans and then the Hifiman takes you airborn in a jiffy. A ‘veil’ is lifted from the music and you get air and enormous amounts of detail - almost to the point of sounding like an electrostatic headphone. I absolutely adore this can!! It is the more correct sounding of the two and probably also what I’d keep if I had a tiger shark fronting my genitals...but luckily I get to keep the Audeze as well because I’m nice like that.
It’s harder to drive than the LCD-2 yet sounds surprisingly magical out of my Valhalla...that then again is preamped by the XDuoo player I am feeding it. Again, the vast majority of headphone enthusiasts out there overwhelmingly overestimate how much juice X headphone needs in order to function properly. It’s not even funny. People are throwing balanced amplifiers at cans that never in your wildest of dreams ever will need more power than what an iPod can put out...cleanly I might add...or else you’re listening at volume levels that are literally harmful fo your hearing (100 dB is very LOUD fx and will very quickly damage one’s ears. Give it a good 2 albums at those levels and your head will be ringing for hours afterwards).

The Sundara is quite an easy headphone to recommend. Not only because it is cheaper and ever so slightly more comfy to wear than the Audeze, but also because I feel it has a similar level of sound quality (slightly better in fact). It doesn’t feel as ‘premium’ in the build, but if you handle it like you paid money for it ie use it at home and store it somewhere safe when not using it, then it will last as long as the Audeze I’m sure.
It’s around 350$ and rather a steal in my book. Highest praise from your’s truly.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 25 2019 at 09:03

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 25 2019 at 09:04

Ahh the closedbacks. Never heard them though but they look rather nice.
If eq is your friend then planars are the way to-go if you ever decide you want to upgrade of just want something ‘different’. They tend to have extremely low distortion numbers meaning you can eq the hell out of them without ending up with weird sonic artifacts.

On your recommendation I decided to grab some PM-3's on ebay. Got a pretty good deal too cos of a good exchange rate between countries (rare for where I live lol!)

Edited by Howard the Duck - August 25 2019 at 09:04

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 26 2019 at 03:37
Nice one Andrew - let me know what you think of it when it lands...and then how it sounds when you’ve listened to it for a couple of days.
If this is your first planar you’ll probably need a bit of time before your ears wrap themselves around the new presentation.

Edited by Guldbamsen - August 26 2019 at 03:38

- Douglas Adams
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Howard the Duck Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 07 2019 at 02:34
Wow the Planars are far and away the single best audio hardware purchase i've ever made. i've got high-end oldschool Mission speakers and they're not even close! i had no idea headsets or speakers even could sound this good. i have no idea why they seem to have discontinued them on their site and haven't made more audio equipment since. maybe it's cos of mostly having been a blu-ray manufacturer?

anyway thanks so much for the tip. i'd never heard of this company, and it's miles ahead of my senn's and i got it for cheaper to boot!

Edited by Howard the Duck - September 07 2019 at 02:35

Catcher10 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Catcher10 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 08 2019 at 16:58
Just saw these gorgeous headphone amps.......Man if I was into HP more I would be in trouble. This Manley amp is slick!

Image result for manley absolute headphone amp
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: September 28 2019 at 23:33
So happy to read some new posts here. You guys are all awesome and kicking ass in the world of Head-Fi.

Right now I’m enjoying my favourite closed back headphone, the Audeze LCD XC. This motherf**ker is an absolute cannon and really delivers on the bass and midrange. Having such a great time with these over the last 6 months.
They are keepers for me like my good old HD 800’s.

My wall of sound is in good shape right now and I’m getting the musical therapy I need ever so disparately. Lol.
My kid gives me a workout.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
progbethyname View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progbethyname Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2019 at 16:33
Have any of you guys looked at Campfire Audio IEM’s??

Ken Ball is an amazing designer. Looking at getting the Atlas’s due to their extremely nice bass kick and that they’ve got dynamic drivers built in them. I just find that bass gets better replicated from dynamic drivers instead of balanced armature design.
Gimmie my headphones now!!! 🎧🤣
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 05:00
Originally posted by Howard the Duck Howard the Duck wrote:

Wow the Planars are far and away the single best audio hardware purchase i've ever made. i've got high-end oldschool Mission speakers and they're not even close! i had no idea headsets or speakers even could sound this good. i have no idea why they seem to have discontinued them on their site and haven't made more audio equipment since. maybe it's cos of mostly having been a blu-ray manufacturer?

anyway thanks so much for the tip. i'd never heard of this company, and it's miles ahead of my senn's and i got it for cheaper to boot!

It’s been a while since I last visited PA and indeed this thread. I’m sorry it took me so long to get back to you
I’m thrilled to hear that you’re enjoying those planar badboys. Truth be told I was a little worried that you were one of those rare few that genuinely disagrees with the way planars present sound. I’m glad it worked out

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 11 2020 at 06:06
José: How’s it going my man? Those look positively stunning and no I wouldn’t mind owning one myself...but I have this thing for food, so they’re basically out of my pricerange..just like the equally if not even more stunning VIVA amps
http://vivaaudio.com/en/products/egoista-845/

Nick: I’ve never tried that Audeze but have mostly heard good to great things about it. Seems a tad on the heavy side though, but then again if one is lying on a sofa or merely sitting in a comfy chair with a headrest, my point is moot
I have read a lot about Campfire IEMs but I have never tried them either. Ever since getting the Audiofly AF1120 I have stopped caring about other IEMs. They’re just that brilliant.

Now for a little madness, be warned.
It’s actually funny you mentioned your 800, because I decided to trade my LCD-2C for a mint one. I thought and still think the Sundara is a better headphone and couldn’t quite justify owning both - even if they sound completely different. Just something about the way the Audeze almost falls off a cliff in the mids that rob guitars and vocals of their natural bite.
Anyway I’d only ever listened to the 800 in testing conditions as well as a few sessions on the side and thought I’d give it a whirl now that’d gotten myself a tube amp. I was pleasantly surprised..very much so in fact! So much so that I completely neglected to listen to any other can for about a week or two
Then I popped on the 600 (I’d sold the HD58X because I’m mad and wanted something with a little higher ohms for ze tubes) and found myself completely in love...and ended up selling it’s upgrade brother.
Then I bought the R70x and the HD660s yet again just because I got a lot of dough for the 800 and well that was already intended for headphones and yaddayaddayadda
Truth of the matter is that I have gone through quite a few cans since I last posted here (the above mentioned plus K240, K245 and the HE400 (again!))..and then I came across an HE500 up for sale in Romania of all places and ended up buying it. Oh boy am I ever glad I did! How I ever managed to part with it in the first place is beyond me. The only other headphone I’ve heard that I like more is the HE6
Right there and then I decided that I’d rather listen to the Hifiman than any other of my cans...and then sold off all my Sennheisers, the Sundara (what is this madness?!?!!), HE400 as well as the AKGs.
So right this minute I only own the HE500?

Nahh not exactly
I soon realised the error of my ways..and indeed also why it was that I sold the Hifiman the first time around. It’s not exactly a light can. Sure it’s very comfy when you’re sitting or lying down...but I’m a dancer and an arsemover of the more silly kind, which can present some problems when you’re wearing half a kilo of planar goodness. It’s also a hot experience during the summer..so long story short, I “needed” something cooler and lighter for warm weather and general music aerobics and remembered that the only real headphones I’ve ever been able to wear comfortably in the summer, well those are AKGs. The first time owning the HE500 I also had the Q701 and a Sennie. I almost exclusively wore the AKG that summer.
So yeah I got the K712 first. Wowza!!! ‘Damn this is one brilliant headphone!!!....have I just forgotten how good these AKGs sound or what is going on here?!?’
He then proceeds to buy the K7XX on sale off of the EU branching of Drop. Same thing happens and he wonders why that is?
‘Well...errr..just to be completely scientific about this conundrum, I’d better get some more of these AKGs in order to get to the bottom of...err yeah why they indeed are this brilliant!...and perhaps even moreso, and of course just to be a little rational about all of this, to get them side by side in order to find out which one I dig the most and just hang onto it.’
He buys the K612 as well as the K702 half-expecting at least one of them to be too bright.
‘What is happening?! I really dig these as well!!! How on earth am I supposed to chose between these? They all sound different..like in different tunings...not because one is blue and another one is orangy..nahh they genuinely all have their own tuning...hmmmm well why not keep em all then?’

So yup, Nil Novi Sub Sole
My inventory:
Hifiman HE500 (Katjing machine)
AKG K702 (Brightest of the AKG bunch but wonderful with great recordings)
AKG K612 (Neutral with an ethereal touch to the highs. Deep bass is impressive for an (any!) openback)
AKG K712 (Warmish and highly enticing signature with lots of detail. More bass than the above two)
AKG K7XX (Mr warm aka Funkadelic swag and Ivan Basso collides)
AKG K371 (Sole closedback I own, but it’s a real humdinger! Harman response curve is really quite delicious when done right)

My Audio Technica ATH-R70x is up for sale at the moment, but I am seriously pondering not letting it go Why would I? (Hmmm maybe because you own 6 other cans??)

What more? Sure I ordered a Schiit Magni Heresy in late November of last year and have still to receive it. Hell it’s not even in the mail yet. That’s what I get for preordering
Anyways that little powerhouse will effectively power all and anything I care to throw at it, which is neat considering the price tag. And to think that most other amps out there, including ones that cost 20-30 times as much, measure considerably worse...and well I end up with yet another vague justification for buying somethiny that I originally ordered because I needed some power for my HE500. I had no confidence in the Valhalla pushing the Hifiman to satisfactory listening levels..yet when the headphone arrived and I for the 4th time had gotten a delay on the amp, my only choice was to go with the tubes...and it went unlike anything I’d imagined. In high gain ca 12 o clock I am rocking out! Even for quiet albums I am never past 1:30.
Oh well I am sort of looking forward to the little Schiit anyways. It’ll be nice to have a solid state option for the HE500 as well

Edited by Guldbamsen - January 11 2020 at 06:08

- Douglas Adams
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mascodagama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 05:48

Now for a little madness, be warned.
It’s actually funny you mentioned your 800, because I decided to trade my LCD-2C for a mint one. I thought and still think the Sundara is a better headphone and couldn’t quite justify owning both - even if they sound completely different. Just something about the way the Audeze almost falls off a cliff in the mids that rob guitars and vocals of their natural bite.
Anyway I’d only ever listened to the 800 in testing conditions as well as a few sessions on the side and thought I’d give it a whirl now that’d gotten myself a tube amp. I was pleasantly surprised..very much so in fact! So much so that I completely neglected to listen to any other can for about a week or two
Then I popped on the 600 (I’d sold the HD58X because I’m mad and wanted something with a little higher ohms for ze tubes) and found myself completely in love...and ended up selling it’s upgrade brother.
Then I bought the R70x and the HD660s yet again just because I got a lot of dough for the 800 and well that was already intended for headphones and yaddayaddayadda
Truth of the matter is that I have gone through quite a few cans since I last posted here (the above mentioned plus K240, K245 and the HE400 (again!))..and then I came across an HE500 up for sale in Romania of all places and ended up buying it. Oh boy am I ever glad I did! How I ever managed to part with it in the first place is beyond me. The only other headphone I’ve heard that I like more is the HE6
Right there and then I decided that I’d rather listen to the Hifiman than any other of my cans...and then sold off all my Sennheisers, the Sundara (what is this madness?!?!!), HE400 as well as the AKGs.
So right this minute I only own the HE500?

Nahh not exactly
I soon realised the error of my ways..and indeed also why it was that I sold the Hifiman the first time around. It’s not exactly a light can. Sure it’s very comfy when you’re sitting or lying down...but I’m a dancer and an arsemover of the more silly kind, which can present some problems when you’re wearing half a kilo of planar goodness. It’s also a hot experience during the summer..so long story short, I “needed” something cooler and lighter for warm weather and general music aerobics and remembered that the only real headphones I’ve ever been able to wear comfortably in the summer, well those are AKGs. The first time owning the HE500 I also had the Q701 and a Sennie. I almost exclusively wore the AKG that summer.
So yeah I got the K712 first. Wowza!!! ‘Damn this is one brilliant headphone!!!....have I just forgotten how good these AKGs sound or what is going on here?!?’
He then proceeds to buy the K7XX on sale off of the EU branching of Drop. Same thing happens and he wonders why that is?
‘Well...errr..just to be completely scientific about this conundrum, I’d better get some more of these AKGs in order to get to the bottom of...err yeah why they indeed are this brilliant!...and perhaps even moreso, and of course just to be a little rational about all of this, to get them side by side in order to find out which one I dig the most and just hang onto it.’
He buys the K612 as well as the K702 half-expecting at least one of them to be too bright.
‘What is happening?! I really dig these as well!!! How on earth am I supposed to chose between these? They all sound different..like in different tunings...not because one is blue and another one is orangy..nahh they genuinely all have their own tuning...hmmmm well why not keep em all then?’

So yup, Nil Novi Sub Sole
My inventory:
Hifiman HE500 (Katjing machine)
AKG K702 (Brightest of the AKG bunch but wonderful with great recordings)
AKG K612 (Neutral with an ethereal touch to the highs. Deep bass is impressive for an (any!) openback)
AKG K712 (Warmish and highly enticing signature with lots of detail. More bass than the above two)
AKG K7XX (Mr warm aka Funkadelic swag and Ivan Basso collides)
AKG K371 (Sole closedback I own, but it’s a real humdinger! Harman response curve is really quite delicious when done right)

My Audio Technica ATH-R70x is up for sale at the moment, but I am seriously pondering not letting it go Why would I? (Hmmm maybe because you own 6 other cans??)

What more? Sure I ordered a Schiit Magni Heresy in late November of last year and have still to receive it. Hell it’s not even in the mail yet. That’s what I get for preordering
Anyways that little powerhouse will effectively power all and anything I care to throw at it, which is neat considering the price tag. And to think that most other amps out there, including ones that cost 20-30 times as much, measure considerably worse...and well I end up with yet another vague justification for buying somethiny that I originally ordered because I needed some power for my HE500. I had no confidence in the Valhalla pushing the Hifiman to satisfactory listening levels..yet when the headphone arrived and I for the 4th time had gotten a delay on the amp, my only choice was to go with the tubes...and it went unlike anything I’d imagined. In high gain ca 12 o clock I am rocking out! Even for quiet albums I am never past 1:30.
Oh well I am sort of looking forward to the little Schiit anyways. It’ll be nice to have a solid state option for the HE500 as well
Wow.

This really demands to be adapted into a telenovela. With each pair of headphones played by a different sultry lady.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2020 at 06:13

Though now that I think of it...it’s been a while since we last saw Dolly in a great movie role
She’s the obvious pick for the HE-500 methinks.

Btw I recently sold my (second) HE-400. I actually thought about you Simon but I had an old friend pop by for New Year’s and he basically fell in love with it. Too bad there’s a big ocean in between the two of us. I would’ve loved dropping them off at your doorstep at a hefty discount (perhaps with a few Danish brewskis a la Mikkeler to shoot the breeze with).
Oh well. At least I get a weekly phonecall from my friend thanking me so much for letting him buy my headphone. Just before I logged in I was actually on the phone with him...and wouldn’t you know..he ended by telling me just how fecking awesome Needlepoint’s Aimless Mary sounded over his new cans

Oh and Simon? I gather you’re still rocking your Sennheisers. I am curious. Do you use a headphone amp?

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 89101112 13>