Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedFemale Screaming Vocals

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Female Screaming Vocals
    Posted: July 05 2017 at 06:43
Aviv Geffen and Steven Wilson have been collaborating in Blackfield for a number of years. I love Wilson's music... For some reason though, I never thought to try out Geffen's work.

Aviv Geffen has a song that translates, in English, to Cloudy Now. I always liked the Blackfield version, but I like his more!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tg-9UsCg-Us

So I'm looking for three things:

1. Other music by Geffen... What are his most notable solo/collaborator singles/albums?
2. More Israeli rock music - like his, but also like prog and experimental stuff... Where should I go, and what should I try?
3. Screaming prog vocals like that at the end of the original Cloudy Now... I've had my share of metal in that category, but I haven't heard any hard prog of that style.

Thanks in advance!
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
yam yam View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 08:37
You'll find what you are looking for at various points in this fantastic video:

This lady can sing anything, and the band themselves cover pretty well every possible base in the prog World.

Check out the rest of their songs  (videos 5 to 9) in this playlist: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wcu8PoH_dtk&list=UU3W1XHNG7narRPTv2LmrGrQ&index=6

Whatever you enjoy in progressive rock, this band will give you a taste of it at some stage in their amazing 2014 'I Still Breathe' debut album.

Smile
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 10:29

With Dalila Kayros slaying on vocals.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 21:28
OK, so now I can't even copy a post and paste it, in case Captcha kicks in, because the damned thing asked me to copy and paste some text, and of course the previous message I tried to copy was lost...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 21:50
However, for female "screaming" there's Floor Jansen, she's even done some gruntint... I believe in her ReVamp project. As for classic prog, there's Van Der Graaf Generator. They can go rather heavy (for 70's prog standards) without even using an electric guitar, just the way the sax is played, and the way Peter Hamill sings (for his heavy singing, I particularly remember "The Sleepwalkers" and "La Rosa"). And about screaming in prog... well, I guess you should already know "Careful with that Axe, Eugene", by Pink Floyd. In the strange case you may not know it, then you must look for it right now (Ummagumma or Live in Pompeii version).
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 05 2017 at 22:20
Dagmar Krause
Raff View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 05:54
Originally posted by Mascodagama Mascodagama wrote:

With Dalila Kayros slaying on vocals.

I second this suggestion, though it is not for everyoneClap. Incidentally, Dalila Kayros is Italian, from Sardinia.
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 07:00
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

However, for female "screaming" there's Floor Jansen, she's even done some gruntint... I believe in her ReVamp project. As for classic prog, there's Van Der Graaf Generator. They can go rather heavy (for 70's prog standards) without even using an electric guitar, just the way the sax is played, and the way Peter Hamill sings (for his heavy singing, I particularly remember "The Sleepwalkers" and "La Rosa"). And about screaming in prog... well, I guess you should already know "Careful with that Axe, Eugene", by Pink Floyd. In the strange case you may not know it, then you must look for it right now (Ummagumma or Live in Pompeii version).

Ooh VDGG... I know them so well... I've listened to every album probably, and Pawn Hearts, The Aerosol Gray Machine, and World Record like 20 times each... Godbluff like 50 times... Man, they are awesome!

However, I can definitely get more into Hammill's solo stuff. I love his efforts on Robert Fripp's exposure.

I'll try out Floor Jansen, definitely.
HemispheresOfXanadu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 10:47
Lisa Papineau is pretty cool. I haven't listened to her solo stuff so I can't say she doesn't do prog but what I have heard isn't prog. BUT her and Juan Alderete have a group and she screams there sometimes (save for Digital Gardens where she only screams). Before that she was in a grungy band called Pet where she uses screams a bit on their one album (90% sure she screams on songs Lil Boots and Secret Motor). Pet isn't an amazing band I just like her voice so I had to check it out. Other than that I think she's mostly jazz.
@ProgFollower on Twitter. Tweet me muzak.
TheGazzardian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 10:59
I've got a pretty great example for you ... Bent Knee .. if you just want to hear the screaming skip to near the end, but this song has a great buildup: 

Edited by TheGazzardian - July 06 2017 at 11:00
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 12:19
Originally posted by TheGazzardian TheGazzardian wrote:

I've got a pretty great example for you ... Bent Knee .. if you just want to hear the screaming skip to near the end, but this song has a great buildup: 

Naw, I only listen in whole. Wink
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 20:57
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

Ooh VDGG... I know them so well... I've listened to every album probably, and Pawn Hearts, The Aerosol Gray Machine, and World Record like 20 times each... Godbluff like 50 times... Man, they are awesome!

However, I can definitely get more into Hammill's solo stuff. I love his efforts on Robert Fripp's exposure.

I'll try out Floor Jansen, definitely.

OK. I think there's no solo stuff of Floor Jansen under her own name. She started out with the metal band After Forever, which features grunting, but on that band the grunting is done by other male members. Floor will sing with normal rock singing or operatic vocals. ReVamp would be something like her solo project, as I understand it, and she does some grunting there, though as far as I remember it's not really so prominent. Actually, I did like After Forever much better. Then Floor just joined Nightwish, so far she has done one studio album, and two live ones (with songs from previous albums from the band).
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 21:45
I'd recommend Nyro for any screaming vocals, as she's the best screamer
Go to 4:48 for Nyro's belting. 
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 21:53
Or even Aksak Maboul's A Modern Lesson

Of course, this isn't quite screaming. Not sure what kinda 'screaming' you wanted.. Maybe watch some horror films if you just want an uncontrolled scream.

And, of course the great Dagmar Krause. Or Lindsay Cooper in Upon Entering the Hotel Adlon

That MUST be Lindsay screaming there.. I think.. It must.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 06 2017 at 21:58
That's one weird-ass music video, for Aviv Geffen. 
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 08:53
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

That's one weird-ass music video, for Aviv Geffen. 

Is he interesting...? Maybe?
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 08:55
Originally posted by Raccoon Raccoon wrote:

Of course, this isn't quite screaming. Not sure what kinda 'screaming' you wanted.. Maybe watch some horror films if you just want an uncontrolled scream.

I'm just looking for a really powerful, female slayer vocal. (no, not the band)
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 07 2017 at 20:51
Some Irene Papas perhaps? I haven't heard much of her, but I understand she's really something else. Not sure if it can really be described.
essexboyinwales View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 08:13
Not sure how heavy you want to go, but I understand there is plenty of screaming and grunting if you check out Arch Enemy.  I haven't, but the way my musical tastes are changing right now, one day I might...

They supported Nightwish when they played Wembley Arena in 2015 and I was there, but I was drinking beer and watching people and saving my ears...Wink
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 26 2017 at 09:38
Originally posted by mlkpad14 mlkpad14 wrote:

One word.  Disengage!

As far as PH solo there's lot's of intensity to choose from...I prefer:

Fools Mate ('72)
Chameleon in the Shadow of Night ('73)
Silent Corner & the Empty Stage ('74)
In Camera ('74)
Ph7 ('79)

With the crowning achievement of vocal intensity being the 1990 live album, "Room Temperature Live".  I was lucky enough to see a show from that tour in San Francisco at this small club called Slims...the intensity of PH was awesome to see in person Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>