FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg is dead, so dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 21:15
Has anyone noticed that many of these threads are started by someone never heard from before and then once the discussion begins they never respond? 

We're all dead. Some of us just haven't realized it yet. In the meantime, if you're enjoying unsanctioned music by those who want to ruin your experience.....

PARTY ON., GARTH!!!!!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 21:17
Provocateurs are everywhere, no one is safe.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 21:24
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Provocateurs are everywhere, no one is safe.

I just love you! You NEVER des-peaLOLr! 

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 21:40
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Strangely enough, original prog had heart.  It had genuine soul and feeling, which warmed an otherwise technical music.

I agree, the music seemed to come effortlessly to those original bands.  

Although there is some decent prog music being made, much is not very palatable to me.  A friend gave me some recent Italian prog, and it sounded like music you'd play as a soundtrack for a Pinocchio movie remake!  

I miss the prog guitar heroes of old....the original guys (Howe, Fripp, Hackett, Goodsall) are still at it, but I don't hear many new ones who can pick up their legacy.  The technical chops are there, but not the heart nor inspiration. 

Edited by cstack3 - July 21 2017 at 21:40
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 21:53
No heart and soul ?? Even Extreme Metal has heart and soul, just not the warm, fuzzy kind most of us are used to
Thatfabulousalien View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 22:08
Prog nowadays has no heart and soul and will never match this:

Classical music isn't dead, it's more alive than it's ever been. It's just not on MTV.

https://www.soundcloud.com/user-322914325
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 21 2017 at 23:20
Most revivalist music lacks a bit in vibrance.
Hercules View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 02:53
"God is dead" - Nietzsche (1882)

"Nietzsche is dead" - God (1900)

Beware of writing things off as dead. They have a nasty habit of coming back to life and biting you in the ass.

Edited by Hercules - July 23 2017 at 07:54
A TVR is not a car. It's a way of life.
ExittheLemming View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 03:09
Originally posted by Progaholic2 Progaholic2 wrote:

Oh come on... there is nothing...NOTHING that is vaguely listenable that goes under the heading 'prog'. God know what 'avant gard, post math, indo raga extreme' etc means... all I know is that it's all awful. The whole point is that you take the stifling limits of basic rock music and take it further... longer... MORE melodic. I am so sick of bands that describe their music as 'influenced by the 70's greats with a new twist'. It all comes down to compositional ability... spending time writing a tune...duuh! Please tell me I'm wrong and name some modern exceptions.... in all honesty i bet you can't.

You're not half the harbinger of doom your late father progaholic1 was whippersnapperWink

(All joking aside I happen to agree with you but it's just that what was Prog 1st Gen ceased circa 1976-78 ish
and no matter how much many of us wish it otherwise, those halcycon days ain't coming back. There is still however, truckloads of innovative, progressive and challenging rock music being made post-Prog and much of it is included on PA, but it ain't Prog and if it's at all original, it's creators don't think so either ya dig maaan?)
lostrom View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 03:37
?
lostrom
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 03:41
Originally posted by lostrom lostrom wrote:

?

Vowels and Consonants are dead, so dead?
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 03:41
Sorry - Prog is ALIVE AND KICKNG, despite all the nay-Sayers.........
I am a child of 70"s Prog, but I am also appreciating much of the 'modern' Prog' on offer. Be it in the Neo, Symphonic, Extreme, Efc.). Not convinced with the modern bands passing themselves off as 'Canterbury' though. They don't even try to obtain an organ of sorts with an old fuzz-box. Good luck to them..........
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 03:46
Ahh one more for the road eh? Seems like this is a recurring thing where every once in a while an old school prog fan comes to the rescue and tell the rest of us poor souls how the world spins.
Funnily enough more than often these people post from somewhere in Britain. Coincidence or merely testiment to the fact that there are more conservatively skewed progressive rock fans inside the country that helped spawn music that sought out the unconform. Ironic? You betcha.

Another thing that always gets me with these people is that they ask for recommendations in a way that truly scares off any such attemps: 'Recommend me some of that awful new polka why don't cha? Real polka died way back when but sure why don't you guys prove me wrong. I will love hating on your suggestions.'

Reminds me of children trying out new foods:
'Here try this carrot'
'I don't like carrots'
Have you tried them?'
'I don't like carrots'
'Yes but have you tried a taste?'
Loooong wait
'Errrm....yes...and I hate it'

If you already have made up your mind about something then why seek out new answers? Don't answer that, I know. The internet is full of idiots who feel their lives are enriched by putting others down in sly and childish manners. The troll enigma.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Progaholic2 View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 03:49
Thank you all for your suggestions which I have noted and will investigate. I visit sites like NEWPROGRELEASES in the vain hope of finding some great prog. Thus far it hasn't happened, and my post from last night was one of frustration and hoping that you might be able to suggest some truly inspiring and talented bands.

I don't listen to 70s music, it is too depressing and I cannot enjoy something that is gone. It is like laughing at a comedian's performance in the knowledge that he is no longer with us. 

I'll get back to you if any of your suggestions his the mark. Oh, and Hellogoodbye - no, jazz is not dead...mores the pity Smile. Silly Puppy - you don't know me so don't judge me. 
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 04:00
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Ahh one more for the road eh? Seems like this is a recurring thing where every once in a while an old school prog fan comes to the rescue and tell the rest of us poor souls how the world spins.
Funnily enough more than often these people post from somewhere in Britain. Coincidence or merely testiment to the fact that there are more conservatively skewed progressive rock fans inside the country that helped spawn music that sought out the unconform. Ironic? You betcha.

Another thing that always gets me with these people is that they ask for recommendations in a way that truly scares off any such attemps: 'Recommend me some of that awful new polka why don't cha? Real polka died way back when but sure why don't you guys prove me wrong. I will love hating on your suggestions.'

Reminds me of children trying out new foods:
'Here try this carrot'
'I don't like carrots'
Have you tried them?'
'I don't like carrots'
'Yes but have you tried a taste?'
Loooong wait
'Errrm....yes...and I hate it'

If you already have made up your mind about something then why seek out new answers? Don't answer that, I know. The internet is full of idiots who feel their lives are enriched by putting others down in sly and childish manners. The troll enigma.
Dude, David.......    Just an example of modern Canterbury........   the Spanish band Amoeba Split. Great stuff, definitely sounds a bit Phil Miller on guitar, but they just come across to me as a modern Fusion band. Even Magic Bus.   Where is that carefree, complex humour and genuinely fuzzy organ/bass wonderment ???   Just try-hard if you ask me....
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 04:04
Just read Guldbamsen's contribution. It's funny, I do not write to this forum very often, but whenever I do, I get heavily critised for the small number of times I have posted. My understanding of Guldbamsen's remarks suggest that I am an 'idiot' and a 'troll', and that my life is given some shallow meaning by putting others down. Now I would like to think that this is a strongly held view and G. used my post as an opportunity to air it, even though my comments made no suggestion that I derive pleasure from blittling others. 
Oh... and I have no interest in carrots.
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 04:06
Belittling
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 04:13

Just read Guldbamsen's contribution. It's funny, I do not write to this forum very often, but whenever I do, I get heavily critised for the small number of times I have posted. My understanding of Guldbamsen's remarks suggest that I am an 'idiot' and a 'troll', and that my life is given some shallow meaning by putting others down. Now I would like to think that this is a strongly held view and G. used my post as an opportunity to air it, even though my comments made no suggestion that I derive pleasure from blittling others. 
Oh... and I have no interest in carrots.

You admit that your OP was the result of some frustration on your part and that is of course perfectly fine

BUT

You can't really criticize 'Prog' (albeit the so called modern variety) on a 'Prog' site and not expect to attract the sort of welcome afforded to a rose at a greenfly convention...
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 04:24
I guess you forgot about your opening post but then again age is a fickle thing.
If you start out your communication over the forum by being overtly provocative then you can be sure it will be answered in a similar fashion - just like in real life.

Oh come on... there is nothing...NOTHING that is vaguely listenable that goes under the heading 'prog'. God know what 'avant gard, post math, indo raga extreme' etc means... all I know is that it's all awful. The whole point is that you take the stifling limits of basic rock music and take it further... longer... MORE melodic. I am so sick of bands that describe their music as 'influenced by the 70's greats with a new twist'. It all comes down to compositional ability... spending time writing a tune...duuh! Please tell me I'm wrong and name some modern exceptions.... in all honesty i bet you can't.

It may have been written in frustration but how on earth were we supposed to know that? When you have aqcuainted yourself with members on here - chit chatted - got to know different people from different countries and so forth THEN you can probably start a thread like this and people will get where you're coming from. As it is it just feels like a snide attack at modern day music from a man who's been looking in all the wrong places.

It seems like you're looking for retro-prog ie music that sounds like the olden days and with melody at the front wheel. Why not simply make a thread asking for recs in that vein instead of making this grand scathing statement that overtly puts down generations of new musicians and artists?
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 04:51
1970s era prog has not gone. It is still there. What do people wnat of it?

As for dead stuff and saturation... very true. Most likely bands and artists will die (artistically anyway) just from being unnoticed.

It' a hard job promotion but the record companies could and should do this. But they do not. Instead they  revert to a pre-Beatles promo push behind a pretty face, singing and aying ability not required (plenty of tht but who needs it?).

Most listeners, as I read recently listen with their eyes. Some won't decide on some music unless those involved have the "right" sexual orientation or the "right" political views. All of which reinforces a record co. to put their resources into a teen pop star because after the musical experiments of years gone by people still don't get into music. Some do but record companies want the big sales not lots of little ones. Frankly I think they are making a big mistake but there we go.

As for prog - lot of nerdy niches within niches. And someone may sell a CD or download. But there are loads of artists listed in the archives so it's a matter of searching the mp3s and videos, reading reviews. Music is very time consumptive and even more so with the very long albums that get released now.

I think all the people who used to buy music now have the motive and means to make it instead. This is why the industry entrepreneurs of the web music scene only sell to the producers and musicians. No one else is buying a thing. As Quincey Jones said 90% of what's released is pirated off the web. Not everyone is like that and those that are are motivated by a very poor economy that is hurting a lot of people.

Not sure what is meant by which bands play with heart and soul and some don't. It's just a "feeling" based on no actual facts. People have said this of classical performances as well. Flawless performance is heartless.

If anything everything is smothered; but struggling. Still, that's a sign of life no?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 6>