Topic ClosedProg is dead, so dead

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 22 2017 at 19:14
Originally posted by Queen By-Tor Queen By-Tor wrote:

I think prog died years and years ago and what we're hearing it just music emulated from the archives of prog.

Because we're living in a simulation.

It's a fair hypothesis....

I've been quite interested in the holographic universe/ simulation hypothesis of late. Like fractals once did, it's ignited the public's imagination.

Edited by Logan - July 22 2017 at 19:19
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 05:41
C'mon... let's be honest once for all guys .... which music really stood the test of time??...

And the obvious answer is: 
Nearly NO popular music really survived long enough in order to ensure its days of future passed as a "Highlander".
So ....the greedy "never dies" Oscar goes to........ Art Music!...  Yeaaahhh!!  ;)

Edited by Tillerman88 - July 23 2017 at 05:43
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
JJLehto View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 12:20
Sleepy

This topic again, eh?
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 12:23
Originally posted by JJLehto JJLehto wrote:

Sleepy

This topic again, eh?

don't worry, it's just a glitch in the matrix
RoeDent View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 12:45
Those who keep saying that a genre is "dead" want it to die themselves. Not true supporters of prog.
Queen By-Tor View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 12:48
Originally posted by RoeDent RoeDent wrote:

Those who keep saying that a genre is "dead" want it to die themselves. Not true supporters of prog.

Do you think that makes them the Agents? like... giving us something to fight against to keep us invested in the illusion? Or do you think it makes them like the awakened few? They've taken the red pill and now they want us to join them in a life beyond prog.
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 13:56
Yeah, whatever - 
Ciccada
IO Earth
feat Esserela
Perfect Beings
Pandora Snail
Tea Club, The
Parallel Mind
Thieve's Kitchen, The
Bowness, Tim
Argue's Secret Society, Darcy James
Rainbird, Billie
Fractal Mirror
I Am The Morning
Herd Of Instinct
Knifeworld
Henriette, Mette
Big Big Train
Mother Tongue
Bartsch's, Nik Mobile
Chatoorgoon, Rani
Djam Karet
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 16:56
The SimHyp is very interesting, but what if the opposite is true: what if the universe is in fact information/number-based, and therefore how we perceive and act and construct things is also?--  I don't necessarily see a conflict between materialism and simulism.   We assume that bits of information are an idea we came up with, but if nature uses digits and figures too than reality makes sense without there being some programmer with a master hard drive who's constructing everything.

And another question is begged:  if the Simulation idea is correct, then what happens when the simulated ~ in other words, us ~ become aware of that truth?   Do we rebel, try to take control of the game and therefore our future?   And will the virtuals that we ourselves have created someday also become self-aware and start looking for us?

Who creates what, and who is who's creator?

Edited by Atavachron - July 23 2017 at 16:57
"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 21:25
Originally posted by Progaholic2 Progaholic2 wrote:

Thank you all for your suggestions which I have noted and will investigate. I visit sites like NEWPROGRELEASES in the vain hope of finding some great prog. Thus far it hasn't happened, and my post from last night was one of frustration and hoping that you might be able to suggest some truly inspiring and talented bands.

I don't listen to 70s music, it is too depressing and I cannot enjoy something that is gone. It is like laughing at a comedian's performance in the knowledge that he is no longer with us. 

I'll get back to you if any of your suggestions his the mark. Oh, and Hellogoodbye - no, jazz is not dead...mores the pity Smile. Silly Puppy - you don't know me so don't judge me. 

So, you don't like new prog because they just can't do it right anymore, and you don't listen to 70's prog because it's too depressing to listen to something that's gone. So, do you listen to prog at all? Do you actually like it? Or what is it that you actually like from prog?
Doke View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 23 2017 at 23:59

Oh come on... there is nothing...NOTHING that is vaguely listenable that goes on about how to build muscle under the heading 'prog'.

It's been a bit dead lately but there's still some good stuff from the past to listen too. Iwouldn't say prog is dead.

Edited by Doke - June 03 2018 at 00:41
skog_prog View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 00:12
A new Anglagard album is in the works. Don't lose hope yet!!!!
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 04:59

Oh come on... there is nothing...NOTHING that is vaguely listenable that goes under the heading 'prog'. God know what 'avant gard, post math, indo raga extreme' etc means... all I know is that it's all awful. The whole point is that you take the stifling limits of basic rock music and take it further... longer... MORE melodic. I am so sick of bands that describe their music as 'influenced by the 70's greats with a new twist'. It all comes down to compositional ability... spending time writing a tune...duuh! Please tell me I'm wrong and name some modern exceptions.... in all honesty i bet you can't.

LOL Trolling poster is trolling 

For someone who can't listen to 70s music and thinks prog is dead, it doesn't sound like you're much of a progaholic Wink

Edited by Jeffro - July 24 2017 at 07:19
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 04:59

Thank you all for your suggestions which I have noted and will investigate. I visit sites like NEWPROGRELEASES in the vain hope of finding some great prog. Thus far it hasn't happened, and my post from last night was one of frustration and hoping that you might be able to suggest some truly inspiring and talented bands.

I don't listen to 70s music, it is too depressing and I cannot enjoy something that is gone. It is like laughing at a comedian's performance in the knowledge that he is no longer with us. 

I'll get back to you if any of your suggestions his the mark. Oh, and Hellogoodbye - no, jazz is not dead...mores the pity Smile. Silly Puppy - you don't know me so don't judge me. 

This is different . Most people love stuff that is dead and gone.

I've Rory Gallagher and a glass of vino calypso going. Rory is dead. I had the privilege to witness his versatile blues in concert. I mourn his death and listen to his musc.

Much the same with Hendrix and Bonzo, Moon (the latter two's respective bands). I like hearing Banks' era Yes, love ELP, Lake era KC. Anything that Wetton sings... Most bands prominent 40 - 50 years ago and for much of that time have at least one Freddie Mercury in their ranks. Their achievements matter (obviously to varying degrees according to taste).

I enjoy shed loads of classical music; these guys would agree that they are dead, art is immortal and the great stuff lives on.

Comedy ... now George Carlin cheers me up. Shame he and Zappa did not make an album together; that would have been a hoot. Both maybe are not trying that idea.

Plenty of people die -- it's what we do. Some toes turn up too early say before 75.

I'm very glad there are people who identify music styles as worthwhile to perpetuate. And prog rock - an art music, not a roots music is capable of considerable versatility still.

The transaction is someone makes art, someone consumes it and that is that.
Save
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 05:06
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

Like Iain (lemming) I too can relate to the OP in that Prog Rock "lost" something during the latter part of the 70s. It didn't die though it's a style of music that is still being aped today which in effect is its biggest problem - one the audience is just as guilty of imo. Prog fans were the first to dismiss their heroes' attempts at making something new. When we the audience at some point in time turned prog rock into a sticker/box with prefabricated notions of how it is supposed to sound like - we killed the spirit.
Most of what's progressive these days happen outside of the tried and tested prog format, which perhaps isn't that strange seing as the genre by now is half a century old.
What I then don't get is the perpetual wall of negatives steaming out of people who once thought an open mind opened doors in music. Nowadays the mindset seems to be reversed. More than anything it seems as if some people indeed are searching for a time machine to transport them back into their youths where they, ironically, were far more open to new experiences.
Then again give these people what they want and they immediately play the 'copycat' card. "I want what Yes, Genesis and Yes were doing dammit!!!!! It's so sad that nobody's making music like this anymore'
*is given some 50 (unknown to him) examples of bands doing exactly that*
'Baahh!! That is some horribly derivative sh*te! Why aren't bands trying out new stuff anymore?'
*is given some 50 (unknown to him) examples of bands doing exactly that*
'That's not prog'

This is the neverending conversation one can enjoy with such folks. Often people claiming to be openminded and always lookig for new experimental stuff. New and experimental is just code for 'I want music that sounds exactly like the stuff already found in my record collection and if it is made after 1980 it is automatically unoriginal/non melodic/ poorly produced/without heart/insert excuse for not giving music a fair shot.

I am not saying that it is mandatory to keep exploring and I am not saying that it is possible to attain the eclectism of one's youth all through life, but it is perfectly possible to be honest with oneself and in being that realise that it probably was a loooooooooooong time ago since you actively sought out new avenues of sound - tried to listen to music that does not sound like anything in your collection - just like that time you bought In The Court Of The Crimson King with no expectations because you quite simply never had heard anything like it before...yet for some reason were able to keep an open mind.

Pre-zakly! No need for PA posts now. ;)

FYI I do try out some new music, usually avant garde, electronic. But I like to do what I first did and do the opposite to everyone else - find out what came before.
progaardvark View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Crossover/Symphonic/RPI Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 07:11
I like carrots. Cauliflower gives me gas.
----------
i'm shopping for a new oil-cured sinus bag
that's a happy bag of lettuce
this car smells like cartilage
nothing beats a good video about fractions
Luqueasaur View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 07:15
Claiming prog is dead is the most bafflingly purist and erroneous claim I hear repetitively. The mainstream characteristic of SYMPHONIC PROG is undoubtfully dead; prog, no. Just because you don't like some mainstream post-rock/post-prog bands such as Riverside, TesseracT, Porcupine Tree, etc. (I don't blame you - dislike them either) it doesn't mean the indisputably progressive but underground gems aren't prog.

Sleepytime Gorilla Museum/Free Salamander Exhibit, Sigh, motW/Kayo Dot, Haken (like it or not, they're pretty creative), Vektor, The Mars Volta (not much underground but still), etc. are rather simple examples. Whether or not you like them, they are progressive because they do exactly what the "label" demands - subversion and innovation. They break paradigms.

What I see, however, is that you have an issue that 70s symphonic bands aren't prominent anymore, and since those are the only type you like, you think all of prog sucks. You're wrong, and you should broaden your horizon. Complaining how "there is no prog nowadays" is living in an echo chamber that is the most unprogressive thing of all. 
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 07:23
Like Trump supporters, it's all based on one's perception of the facts. There are thousands of new prog bands making new prog music. If one choses not to see that, then what can we mere mortals that see that prog is still alive and kicking do to change their perception?
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 07:29
^ Just wave and smile, wave and smile ...
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 08:22
Prog is more alive than ever.

Dave Weigel's book has helped.
Yes getting inducted into the Rock Hall helped.
King Crimson touring helps.
ANd look at all the great bands we have out there: Anglagard, Anekdoten, Anathema, Big Big Train, The Tangent, Magenta, Neal Morse Band, Marillion, IQ, Kaipa, Knifeworld, Pandora Snail...
someone_else View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 24 2017 at 08:43
Originally posted by miamiscot miamiscot wrote:

Prog is more alive than ever.

Dave Weigel's book has helped.
Yes getting inducted into the Rock Hall helped.
King Crimson touring helps.
ANd look at all the great bands we have out there: Anglagard, Anekdoten, Anathema, Big Big Train, The Tangent, Magenta, Neal Morse Band, Marillion, IQ, Kaipa, Knifeworld, Pandora Snail...

Putting reassembled dinosaurs on display does not resurrect them, it's just popularizing paleontology Tongue. Nevertheless we live in the best prog decade since the 1970's. The 2010's have seen some superb prog albums.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>