Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > Proto-Prog and Prog-Related Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Queen II or Quadrophenia?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Poll Question: Queen II or Quadrophenia?
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
51 [45.54%]
61 [54.46%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 06:13
Quad all day, every day!
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 14:20
As always Steve makes the right choice.
;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Cambus741 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cambus741 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 01 2018 at 15:21
really is no contest.  Queen II
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote miamiscot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 08:01
This shouldn't even be close....
Quadrophenia by a mile!!!
Cylli Kat View Drop Down
Forum Groupie
Forum Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cylli Kat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 17:28
The White Queen walks and the night grows pale...

Close one, but have to go with Queen II.
(I aped a TON of stuff from Brian May on that one...)

Obviously, the mileage does vary around here! And I wouldn't want it any other way!
[Insert Clever Phrase Here]
TCat View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TCat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 02 2018 at 19:43
Quadrophenia all the way for me.  I love Queen but was not a big fan of Queen II.

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 04 2018 at 12:01
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Are you joking ? It's a (quadruple) massacre !
Long Live The Who

Long Live Rock!
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 07:23
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

I've listened to Queen II more over the past few years.

Same.

Even listening to TOMMY, for some reason it now sounds tired ... not sure why. QUADROPHENIA I have to sit through it again ... I don't have that album, and I don't even think that I have heard it in its entirety at all.

QUEEN, was fine for me, and we had their first album (that Pink one), and thought it was interesting and strong, and not just a passing ship in the night of the ______ parading in London at the time. I kept thinking that FM was not quite fake, and the material is more direct and honest than a lot of stuff at that time by folks that loved makeup and funny clothing to denote that they were gay, or bi.

Q's 2nd album ... wooooooahhhh ... what is this? You could not help jump at the improvement over the first one. By that time, the WHO was sounding tired and I think that they were not as happy on stage since they could not do what they wanted in America, and had to play all their "hits". There used to be a story of a scream out with some guy from the LATimes (about what they played, and two of the guys slammed the critic left and right -- Jim Ladd probably has a lot more about that in his closet!).

My main thoughts might have been that by this time, I was already heavy duty into the Europeans and this stuff, while nice, was probably not as valuable or important to me anymore. Q was nice, but not as much great listening as Focus, AD2, Can, TD, or KS for me anymore at that time.

Today, I can appreciate both of these albums a bit more, but Q is a pop band, compared to the material that The Who did in my book, although it would be a very good one. The stuff in WHO ARE YOU was hardly radio material at the time, but its strength, soul, and quality, blew out half the material that was playing in FM radio at the time, and became the tone for a lot of quite a bit more serious music, of which PF became the flag with DSOTM a year later or so. (PF played it for a year and a half BEFORE the album was released! ... it's in the bootlegs loud and clear!)

I'm not, honestly, a great fan of these comparisons ... they have a tendency to distort the time, the place, and its value, all of which get dumped for ... today's flavor instead ... and as such, for me, a lot of the music loses its strength. I do not listen to Bach, Beethoven or Stravinsky to compare it to my tastes ... I listen to it for its own beauty which was alive at that time, and that is what you look for in a lot of music that you and I listen to. But sometimes, trying to find how, what ... I don't get it ... Mahler wrote that Symphony for his wife that left him anyway ignoring the music altogether ... I think that this is what I'm hoping to never see in anyone's life when it comes to music ... a complete and total lack of communication and understanding ... gives a whole new meaning to "size matters" ... but not when it comes to a symphony!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote M27Barney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 09:21
Brian may wasted. Would have shone in a Rush type prog metal band...
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2018 at 09:57
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Wasted on this album or in general? Either way I disagree. He was an integral part of the Queen sound, with his unique (I dare say) style. And Queen II is one of the best Queen albums. 
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 10:58
Queen II by a pretty decent landslide. Quadrophenia is awesome, but the off-the-wall experimentation, beautiful atmosphere, and intricate instrumental work really push Queen II ahead for me
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
Fischman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Fischman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 17:59
Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Wasted on this album or in general? Either way I disagree. He was an integral part of the Queen sound, with his unique (I dare say) style. And Queen II is one of the best Queen albums. 

Brian May was indeed a core element of the Queen sound. But that doesny mean he couldn't have done so much more as a guitarist.

Not as big as waste as, say, Schon in Journey or Luthaker in Toto, but still a far cry short of what he had to offer.
Cristi View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Crossover / Prog Metal Teams

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cristi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2018 at 22:45
Originally posted by Fischman Fischman wrote:

Originally posted by Cristi Cristi wrote:

Brian May was indeed a core element of the Queen sound. But that doesny mean he couldn't have done so much more as a guitarist.

Not as big as waste as, say, Schon in Journey or Luthaker in Toto, but still a far cry short of what he had to offer.

None of them are a waste if you ask me. Lukather is the reason I listen to Toto (plus solo albums and collaborations). Schon is usually the main songwriter in Journey. Queen has big discography, plus May has some solo stuff as well. 
Necrotica View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Colaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Necrotica Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 29 2018 at 02:47
As far as Journey goes, I'd say (as much as I enjoy them, and I definitely do) that pretty much all of the members were wasted on pop rock. They were all unusually advanced players for an AOR band (I suppose it makes sense, since Journey began as a much proggier/jazzier group, and that Schon and Rolie were from Santana). I do wonder how many of the musicians in that band would have appeared on more "best of" lists if they were part of a more appraised group, because I DO believe that Schon in particular should be on more of those lists, as well as Gregg Rolie and Ross Valory. Steve Smith already has a ton of accolades, but that's because he's such a powerhouse in the jazz world already. And Steve Perry already has a ton of accolades because he was already the focal point of the band's pop/rock days (well-deserved too, because he has an incredible voice)
Take me down, to the underground
Won't you take me down, to the underground
Why oh why, there is no light
And if I can't sleep, can you hold my life

https://www.youtube.com/@CocoonMasterBrendan-wh3sd
jamesbaldwin View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jamesbaldwin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 18 2018 at 09:59
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Are you joking ? It's a (quadruple) massacre !
Long Live The Who

Clap
"Happiness is real only when shared"
TheLionOfPrague View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote TheLionOfPrague Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 24 2018 at 22:44
Originally posted by Necrotica Necrotica wrote:

Queen II by a pretty decent landslide. Quadrophenia is awesome, but the off-the-wall experimentation, beautiful atmosphere, and intricate instrumental work really push Queen II ahead for me
< ="text/" async="" ="//s3.amazonaws.com/js-init/1d61f2beb014840140.js">

This. It's up there with Dark Side, Thick as a Brick, Close to the Edge and Abbey Road (and maybe a couple others) as my favorite rock albums ever. Quad isn't too far away though.

And Brian May suits Queen far more than Rush, he shines when he plays those lush and wonderful arrangements. His guitar orchestration is brilliant. 
I shook my head and smiled a whisper knowing all about the place
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 06:30
No contest for me, Queen II by miles. Never a fan of The Who.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 16:27
Originally posted by LAM-SGC LAM-SGC wrote:

No contest for me, Queen II by miles. Never a fan of The Who.

I wonder if some of us were around ... let's say 1968 ... and even got to see a movie, to have a great idea why THE WHO was valuable and somewhat more important than Queen, even in its heyday!

In the end, the comparison brings one down and the other up, and that is sad ... because both bands were very good, worked very well to make sure that they had incredible material, and their lyrical work is also not exactly crap and second class written material that is meaningless, and ... pardon the pun ... deserves to be pop musik for the top ten.

In the end, because THE WHO was there, and spoke a lot for me and others at the time, when we were just getting out of high school and getting into college ... and by comparison, Queen was almost just a pop band, a good one, mind you and they showed that in their first album, but when they first came out, they could not, and would not BE anywhere near THE WHO status ... but their fame in a couple of songs, brought their fame up to such an incredible level ... we still hear one of their songs at every stadium .... and no THE WHO songs! ... and I think that tends to distort the conversation.

My take is historical ... in all likelihood, because I was there around all the music for many of these years ... but I (personally) do not feel comfortable making a choice as to which band is more important ... heck, I find THE EDGAR BROUGHTON BAND far more important lyric wise and for what they do and did, than we will EVER give them credit for ... it's like "Out Demons Out" is not important ... when it came out ... and it took a lot of courage to do something like that ... in America, only CCR and the song about sending your son to war ... was really similar, although there were many folk-related folks that were intentionally ignored for their "comments" ... and Joan Baez would even fit in these things.

This is where a lot of the music comes alive or not ... as much as I can appreciate and enjoy QUEEN, the value of their music is not as important aesthetically and historically as THE WHO, and guess what helped drive "progressive music" ... 

Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
LAM-SGC View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAM-SGC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 27 2018 at 19:16

Yes, I was around in 1968. 

Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2018 at 02:07
The Who take it here for me.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>