FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKing Gizzard & The Lizard Wizard

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 16 2017 at 15:57
Polygondwanaland is out now, available as a completely free download. Definitely their proggiest album to date, and (based on my first listen) arguably one of their best. Really exciting stuff.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 05:10
they reminds me of Gong, Voivod, amd Residence
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 05:40
Listening right now to the latest on Bandcamp (which BTW one can download for free)
Don't like the vocals at all but the arrangements and specially the dynamics are  strong
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 06:51
Originally posted by The Hemulen The Hemulen wrote:

Polygondwanaland is out now, available as a completely free download. Definitely their proggiest album to date, and (based on my first listen) arguably one of their best. Really exciting stuff.

Thanks for the heads-up - I just downloaded Polygondwanaland, there is some good stuff there and I suspect it will grow even more on me with repeated listening. I will be choosing to put some $ their way too, maybe through some merch, least that can be done. Tongue
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
geekfreak View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 01:20
Originally posted by Prog-jester Prog-jester wrote:

A wildly eclectic, unique sound: CHECK
A genre impossible to define, utilizing influences from math-rock, psychedelia and even surf-rock (!): CHECK
A string of different yet almost-all-concept albums: CHECK
Irregular time signatures: literally almost no songs in 4/4
A ProgArchives page: NON-EXIST-ENT???

Their most recent album is as PROG as it can be, a three-part sci-fi story in 20 chapters with loads of mellotron thrown in. Give these Aussies some love! <333

like most here never heard of them two vids are great enjoyed them thank you for post
Friedrich Nietzsche: "Without music, life would be a mistake."

Music Is Live

Two people are better off than one, for they can help each other succeed.

Keep Calm And Listen To The Music…
<
Friday13th View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 17:32
They seem to be getting a lot of coverage now that Anthony Fantano has reviewed their albums. I'm interested to check this new one out, though I was a bit disappointed with Microtonal Banana. I've been looking for use of microtonal instruments in rock that sounds beyond just novelty...Banana didn't cut it. 
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 12:29
I am completely smitten by Sketches Of Brunswick East. Spinning that sucker on a daily basis. Must admit that I far prefer their more laid-back style to the fast paced mathy surfer rock. It's a lot of fun and brilliant when I'm in the right mood sure, but Sketches seems to suit all occasions for this Dane.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 06:18
Planning on spinning the new one for the second time today. This time I will actaully try to listen to it Funny how one's brain some times flies right out your nose for the entirety of an album/movie/conversation about politics.

Oh and people!!! Remember to check out these cats. Their new album is free off of bandcamp and should please old school rockers and neo-psych heads alike
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Rivertree View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Band Submissions

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 06:29
^that is an excellent album (I mean Polygondwanaland) ... though I'm still not convinced about adding them to the archives ...

Edited by Rivertree - November 22 2017 at 06:31

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 06:55
Spinning it right this minute and it's a real fun listen.
I'm not sure they belong here either and am furthermore glad it's not up to me

- Douglas Adams
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 08:26
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

^that is an excellent album (I mean Polygondwanaland) ... though I'm still not convinced about adding them to the archives ...

Glad you're enjoying it! It's nice to see them getting a little love round these parts. I'm genuinely curious what your reservations might be with regards to adding them to PA. It strikes me that they've been moving in a steadily proggier direction from "I'm In Your Mind Fuzz" onwards (with the exception of Paper Mache Dream Balloon, which is a bit of a psych-pop detour).
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 23 2017 at 08:52
As much as I'm digging these guys I am still first and foremost hearing an intelligent rock n roll band. Sure they mix things up with odd time sigs, jazz and so forth but so did Derek & The Dominoes, GFR, The Dead, Allman Brothers, Paul Butterfield Blues Band, Led Zeppelin, Edgar Broughton Band and Cream yet all of these bands, including the Gizzards, sound far more rooted in blues rock than in prog to these ears.
The closest I feel they've come to PA is actually Sketches that rides the ridges of fusion. Maybe the jazzy cats can take a look at them if PSIKE decides to reject them?

On my third spin of Polygondwanaland right now and I am loving every minute of it
That opening track is just superb!

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 23 2017 at 08:56

- Douglas Adams
Prog-jester View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 04:59
Originally posted by Guldbamsen Guldbamsen wrote:

I'm not sure they belong here either
Originally posted by Rivertree Rivertree wrote:

though I'm still not convinced about adding them to the archives ...

Of course let's add some bedroom Genesis and Dream Theater clones, they're way more progressive

And then people create threads like WHY YOUTH NO LIKE PROG, maybe because dads can't see a fresh and unique band blossoming right under their nose? These guys are Crimson of 21th century y'all!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 06:01
You gotta love it when old members who've done exactly sh*t for this website during the last couple of years then comes along to educate the rest of us what prog is. Thanks Igor. I also love the way you take stabs at PA in the process, good form sir.
I trust you've come to this conclusion via the torrents of music sites and reviewers alike who claim this band to be prog?

- Douglas Adams
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 06:09
Also it is not about being 'progressive' c'mon you've been here long enough to know that. It is about whether or not the music is prog. That is also why we don't include The Wu-Tang Clan, Pere Ubu and Mozart. May be progressive but it isn't prog.

Edit: Alright I've calmed a bit down now but it really pisses me off when you go ahead and do the exact same thing I called you out on earlier in this thread...especially when you have direct access to the PSIKE team who are evaluating them. Instead you log in to publically shame them...yet again simply because you hear something they do not.
Hell you even agreed before in that you went back and edited your OP so as it didn't sound like an overt attack on the PSIKE team

I still love this band btw and pretty much everyone on the PSIKE team seems to dig them as well. It is not some conspiracy nor is it because the team consists of elderly dads who haven't listened to anything new since Marillion's debut. Some of em are younger than you big boy.

Could it just be that you yourself became weary of the same ol prog by the numbers and ventured out beyond the prog umbrella and to your amazement found a boot full of experimental artists that actually sounded far more progressive than half of what is being listed on this website as prog? Well I am sort of in the same bag yet that doesn't change this site's parametres one bit. We all have acts we feel belong here yet aren't regardless of how hard we fought for them via jootob clippings and well written posts about genre defying music and time signatures. Such is the way of a site like this for better and worse. Either accept it or don't.

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 26 2017 at 07:13

- Douglas Adams
The Hemulen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 26 2017 at 11:59
...Well that escalated quickly.

Before I go any further I want to be clear here that I have complete respect for everyone involved in this discussion. We’ve all been around long enough to know that prog is always a subjective, personal thing and individual definitions/boundaries will inevitably vary from person to person. I want us to have this debate because I do truly believe KGATLW have done more than enough to deserve serious consideration and attention from prog rock community, but more to the point I want that debate to be held in a way that is respectful, friendly and productive.

All that being said, I’m going to go into detail about exactly how and why I’ve come to my conclusions regarding this wonderful band, and then I’m going to walk away from this thread and leave it for others to decide. I know from past experience when I was considerably more active on this site (many moons ago!) just how tough it can be for collaborators and genre teams to make definite, permanent choices on a subject that is by its nature subjective, fluid and ever evolving. I don’t envy them one jot. OK, so with all that in mind, here goes…

I believe King Gizzard and the Lizard Wizard are, in their current form, by any reasonable definition, a progressive rock band. As I said earlier, they have been on a trajectory away from simplistic psych-blues/garage rock to out and out prog ever since I’m In Your Mind Fuzz, but even if you ignore ALL their output up to and including Nonagon Infinity you are still left with four unique albums, all of which encapsulate different elements of prog. The fact that all four of them came out this year (and supposedly with a fifth still to come), whilst impressive, is ultimately irrelevant. If those four albums had been put out by a different band over the space of several years, the argument would be just as valid as all four of them are, to my ears, out and out progressive rock albums. Let me explain why.

Flying Microtonal Banana

Strong krautrock influences throughout, unusual instrumentation (not just microtonal guitars but also traditional instruments such as the zurna), extended arrangements, unusual time signatures aplenty.

Murder of the Universe

Narrative/concept album comprising of three distinct “chapters”, with spoken word passages and longform arrangements. Increased use of synths. Though divided into shorter tracks, each chapter runs seamlessly and the individual tracks generally work as variations on themes rather than standalone songs - they could just as easily be three approx. 15 minute “epics”.

Sketches of Brunswick East

Meandering, jazzy psychedelia (very reminiscent of early Canterbury, IMO) with tracks generally bleeding from one to the next, giving a sense of cohesion. Another concept album {their second this year and their sixth overall).

Polygondwanaland

POLYRHYTHMS GALORE. Seriously, find me a single 4/4 passage in the entire thing! It’s arguably their most diverse record in terms of instrumentation/tone - plenty of flute, acoustic guitar and synths - ebbing and flowing between heavy and more acoustic passages. Pretty much no hint of that early “blues rock” sound is present on this one. Again, though divided into 10 tracks, it’s really four 10+ minute pieces (the last 3 comprising of 3 movements each, with plenty of reprises and reworkings of earlier themes as the songs progress). Also the closing track is pure Gong.

So yeah, you can literally exclude everything they’ve put out prior to this year if you want (not that you should IMO), and you’re still left with four albums by a band showing a clear determination to experiment freely with rock, pushing their own sound in new and unusual directions, whilst also paying clear homage to “traditional” aspects of progressive rock such as narrative concept albums, longform composition, atypical instrumentation and complex rhythms.

Personally, I would have said that’s more than enough to earn them a place on this website, but it’s not my decision to make. Sincere thanks to anyone mad enough to take the time to read this absurdly long post. Peace and love to you all.

Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 05:42
hey David, I didn't mean to be mean, sorry. I just feel being a non-regular visitor here gives me some perspective, you know, maybe I'm wrong. And when I compare Gizzos to other current bands I hear it's impossible not to see how fresh and unique they are - yep, same old "prog vs progressive" thing - especially when compared to stale and stagnate "vintage prog" bands of today. Don't be mad, it's just an opinion)
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 05:54
Yeah let's call a truce. We both love this band after all

In all honesty; I too get a little tired of the same ol formula being dished out each year which is why I tend to throw my nets a lot wider than just PA. I suspect you do the same.

My apologies if I sounded a little off-kilter yesterday but my fuse is rather short these days. I did mean what I said but I guess I could've said it a little differently

On another note (let's get back on track): are there any more Gizzard albums on the horizon? Or are they going on tour? Man I'd love to see these guys live!

- Douglas Adams
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 15:47

Yeah let's call a truce. We both love this band after all

In all honesty; I too get a little tired of the same ol formula being dished out each year which is why I tend to throw my nets a lot wider than just PA. I suspect you do the same.

My apologies if I sounded a little off-kilter yesterday but my fuse is rather short these days. I did mean what I said but I guess I could've said it a little differently

On another note (let's get back on track): are there any more Gizzard albums on the horizon? Or are they going on tour? Man I'd love to see these guys live!

I believe they're touring Oz at the moment includin Adelaide soon this Friday. Fb page says they will be at O2 Brixton on 22 Feb next year
Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 16:30
oh yes, throwing a wider net always helps

are there any more Gizzard albums on the horizon? Or are they going on tour? Man I'd love to see these guys live!
I believe a fifth one is expected in 2017?..

They're touring EU in March and judging from YouTube live videos they KILLING it live, but I wonder what they're gonna play...I really love Nonagon and Banana, but they've literally released like THREE albums after those two Tracks like "Robot Rock" and "Rattlesnake" are probably old tired hits in their book already!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>