Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedAre you into academic rigour!?

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Are you into academic rigour
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
7 [63.64%]
4 [36.36%]
This topic is closed, no new votes accepted

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Are you into academic rigour!?
    Posted: August 03 2017 at 10:14
And do you want it!
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 10:24
No, but as long as it stays confined within the academia I'm fine with it.
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 11:33
I dont know whag rigour means,please elaborate its meaning, etymologicly and symbolicly and sosiologicaly.
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 12:25
Basically it means "The quality of being extremely thorough, exhaustive, or accurate."

In my job I have to be, because I work through a university as a copy-editor and I also do research. The faculty, as well as the students I help, expect it of me. I also used to teach, so I expected it of my students.

I also value it generally. That said, I wouldn't say that I show the same academic rigour when I post here, nor would I want to, as that would make being here far too much like my job. I'm pretty sloppy usually as despite being a perfectionist a lot of the time, I'm also really lazy. Some who strive for academic rigour, and seem to demand it of others, can be insufferable, arrogant.... The pedants are revolting!

When it comes to reading articles, and following various discussions, I also would hope for a level of academic care. I'm quite formal in many ways, and would like to see more, say, standards of debate being followed, and intellectual rigour and honesty. I value rationality, and I value thinking things through rather than just leaping to conclusions and making strong assumptions without good evidence. A worthwhile or valid opinion is an informed one.

I see so much half-assed stuff out there, and it bothers me when people don't cite their sources properly, take people out of context, obfuscate. Youtube and twitter comments are often terrible, hell, I'd love to fail so any of those people.

I definitely favour academic and intellectual rigour, but in life I don't think that I'm as rigorous as I should be, and not as rigorous as I once was. I had a brain mishap, and I've had to be trying to build it up again. I don't think I'll ever have the memory or speed that I once did. Being really rigorous can literally make my brain hurt these days, and my work takes longer to do than it once did.

I'm very interested in ideas, and not pragmatic enough -- I tend to value academic notions in the sense of being conjectural and not of any real practical relevance. When I express such ideas I'm not always that rigorous. Sometimes it's nice to form opinions without doing much research, but such opinions should be open to change, as opinions should be generally.

Now this is the post I like to write here, where I just type things out quickly as they comes to mind without being rigorous. Probably lost of mistakes in the typing as well as having not thought things through enough. In my job I use a word processor program that helps a lot with that, but here I just use that little quick reply box.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Quinino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 03 2017 at 14:14
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm pretty sloppy usually as despite being a perfectionist a lot of the time, I'm also really lazy. Some who strive for academic rigour, and seem to demand it of others, can be insufferable, arrogant....

I wouldn't change a word about myself, thanks for putting it so clearly Hug Twin souls  LOL
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 17:40
Originally posted by Quinino Quinino wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm pretty sloppy usually as despite being a perfectionist a lot of the time, I'm also really lazy. Some who strive for academic rigour, and seem to demand it of others, can be insufferable, arrogant....

I wouldn't change a word about myself, thanks for putting it so clearly Hug Twin souls  LOL

Like Siamese twins with different mothers. ;)   Glad to know I'm not alone.

-----------------------------------------------------

A motivational speaker walks onto the stage, centres himself, then asks the audience "Are you into academic rigour?" The audience is silent. This time a little louder from the speaker, "I said, are you into academic rigour?" A few murmurs from the audience. Now, the speaker almost shouting, "I said, ARE YOU INTO ACADEMIC RIGOUR?" The audience politely offers a slightly more enthusiastic response. "DO YOU WANT IT!?" "Ah, maybe" seems to be the general reaction. Then the motivational speaker promptly walks off the stage. The audience thinks, "Well that was strange, can we get our money back?"

I guess the stage should be in a university auditorium, and enrolled students are free.

Edited by Logan - August 05 2017 at 17:51
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Polymorphia View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 05 2017 at 17:59
I like my academic rigor like I like my coffee. Containing spiders.
 Post Reply Post Reply