Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Matt Berry (Prog-Related, Folk, Electronic, Jazz)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedMatt Berry (Prog-Related, Folk, Electronic, Jazz)

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Matt Berry (Prog-Related, Folk, Electronic, Jazz)
    Posted: August 28 2017 at 15:44
Some might this funny, and I'm not saying that HE should be in PA, but I do think that he has made made music that fits PA. I thought about doing this in Suggest New Bands, but then thought why not here instead where I am not so likely to be ridiculed, whipped, creamed, and abusing the Suggest new bands forum? SO this is not a formal suggestion, but I don't think it would be a ridiculous one had I done it there, particularly since I think Music For Insomniacs could fit and he has other proggy music. In the future at least he might be a shoe-in, in which case I will do in Suggest New bands. He loves Prog, and has been an opening act for Steven Wilson with his band.

His studio albums are Jackpot (1995), Opium (2008), Witchazel (2009), Kill the Wolf (2013), Music for Insomniacs (2014) and The Small Hours (2016). He also his Matt Berry and the Maypoles Live (2016), various singles and an EP.

Music for Insomniacs is a sort of progressive electronic album:

Witchhazel is a psych folk album with prog qualities.

Kill the Wolf is a pych folk/ pop album with prog qualities.

Opium is more comedy rock.

The Small Hours is more jazz

And then there's the Matt Berry Project.

And who could forget the deaf vocalist?

Edited by Logan - August 28 2017 at 15:46
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 15:52
Oh he has been seriously suggested before, but that was before Music for Insomniacs and Kill the Wolf. http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=77430

I really feel like posting One Track Lover from Darkplace, but already that's lot of embeds.
Cosmiclawnmower View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 15:53
He was very funny in 'The Mighty Boosh' and the 'IT Crowd'; a bit like Julian Barrett.. wears their influence on their sleeve with respect but... apparently he has a large vintage analogue synth collection!

Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 16:26
Big, big fan here. As long as his electronic album is still a one off I guess prog folk would make the most sense. But prog related would be just fine s well. Kill The Wolf is my favorite album but Music for Insomniacs is perfect for what it is. 

ADBC (the greatest story never told) also very much prog related:

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 17:01
He has a pretty impressive home studio I've read.   And I've read that he literally composed Music for Insomniacs at night when he couldn't sleep (a problem I share with him). I loved him In Garth Merenghi's Darkplace (Julian Barrett was in that but not a main character), Toast of London and Snuff Box. And yeah, his AD/BC: A Rock Opera has become a classic. Love it.

I could see him in Crossover as a Crossover Prog Folk artist.
Raccoon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 28 2017 at 21:14
I'm happy to see any mention of him, I think of him as possibly (one of) the funniest people ever. "FAAAAAAAAAAAA-THAAAAAAAAR!!!!!"
He's a great dude with folk-styled music, and I love the man, but I couldn't see him on this site Tongue 
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 29 2017 at 12:36
I mention him a lot, not only do I love his comedy work, but I adore his albums.

"You and he were buddies,... weren't you?"

This is more of an appreciation thread, not my first on him, but he is musically prog related, very clear to me from tracks I posted, and I would not be surprised if at some time he does get into PA (I don't know what future albums will be like). He takes his music pretty seriously.

I love his folk, his jazz, his lounge, his bluesy rock and roll, and his electronic. Had he made Music for Insomniacs decades ago I think he might already be in PA (hey, I like the retro elements of his music), or if he had really explored music like Solstice and The Pheasant much more. He's very eclectic, though, and I just want him to keep doing what he is doing.

By the way, for any Paul McCartney fans (or in my case as a Peter Serafinowicz fan):

Edited by Logan - August 29 2017 at 12:37
 Post Reply Post Reply