Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rhythm vs Melody

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Poll Question: If you could only have one or the other..
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
15 [36.59%]
26 [63.41%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rednight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 15:59
Melody is like a movie script. If it's no good, the rest of it blows.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 04:56
Meshuggah = Rhythm over Melody. I love Meshuggah !!
iluvmarillion View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iluvmarillion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 06 2017 at 00:11
Strange poll. You can't have a song without a beat. On the other hand I think you can have a song without a melody. Melodies I think have been done to death in any case. I don't think it's possible to invent any new melodies. However there still new rhythms you can invent. So rhythms win.
uduwudu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uduwudu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 02:30
Rhythm and harmony equals melody. The better the melody, the better the rhythm.

This may be why rap is so unpopular among certain strata of society. Often strong rhythms (vocally) determinedly eschewing melody and reducing the role of the real rhythm section. Upside down numbers...

If you want the absence of any I really (this is the only circumstance this will happen) recommend Lou Reed's Metal Machine Music.

Can and Tortoise eh? Tortoise a very strong drummer led band but I was attracted to the rather exquisite melodies Tortoise managed. My first hearing was a bootleg from a Bonnaroo Festival. Was hooked thereafter.

Can are magic. Both slightly unpredictable.
hieronymous View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hieronymous Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 14:35
Definitely rhythm for me - I prefer instrumental music and of course melody plays a role but not the most important thing for me. 

Besides Can (who I love and who introduced me to motorik) I also love James Brown - funk is the African rhythm matrix with each instrument filling in different parts - Fela Kuti too - are there any prog funk bands?
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 15:43
Melody!
socrates17 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote socrates17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 08:22
Counterpoint.
OK, I voted Rhythm.  My taste in jazz, classical and prog run strongly to the avant garde.  Dissonant and polyrhythmic.  Too pretty and it's like nails on a blackboard.  I've been that way since my mother introduced me to 20th Century classical well before adolescence.  Melodies and harmonies from non-Western European cultures can be appealing.  Like Antonín Dvořák or Alamaailman Vasarat or the Barcelona Gipsy Klezmer Orchestra.  Mom also raised me on the Gershwins, Cole Porter, Jerome Kern et al and a melody has to be pretty damn special to meet that bar.  Peter Blegvad can hit it.  Leonard Cohen could.  A few others.

Edited by socrates17 - October 19 2017 at 08:23
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frenetic Zetetic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May 15 2018 at 02:06
Very lol poll.

I'm a bass player, so I'm biased toward rhythm.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12