Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedIs the music industry killing physical copies?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 12:31
[I've seen on more than one occasion where there was allegedly "one copy" left, and immediately after ordering, more copies magically appeared.]

As I said before it's a marketing trick(albeit a rather deceitful one). Basically it plays on the scarcity mindset("wow, I'm getting the last one"). I spent a few years behind the scenes in internet marketing and can assure it's one of the tactics that sellers use. Is it unethical? Probably but it works and that's all that matters to most of those who want to make money online.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - October 04 2017 at 12:32
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 04 2017 at 18:46
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

The very idea of music devoid of a physical medium was absolutely laughable to anyone in the music industry, from record manufacturers to retailers. There had always been LPs, tapes and CDs. Who could possibly be happy with just owning a  music file?

They found out the hard way.

I mean, there was a time before recordings existed and people were content with listening to music performed live, or performing it themselves.

Go back 100 years, and people would have been complaining about the death of live performances due to the availability of recordings. Of course, live performances and recordings are very different experiences, so that has helped the two work together instead of simply competing. I don't think the differences between a physical copy and a digital copy are as big (in terms of a CD vs a lossless music file, you're getting literally the same music file), but I think if vinyl can survive the CD era, I think vinyl and CDs can survive the digital era, even if that does mean they'll be more for collectors than the average listener.
PhideauxFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 03:36
Originally posted by Dellinger Dellinger wrote:

I just found out about the band Soup, and have been hearing their new album and decided to buy it.

I bought the CD Remedies at Cosmos Music (France) for 19 euros. Wink
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 03:43
Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

The very idea of music devoid of a physical medium was absolutely laughable to anyone in the music industry, from record manufacturers to retailers. There had always been LPs, tapes and CDs. Who could possibly be happy with just owning a  music file?

I mean, there was a time before recordings existed and people were content with listening to music performed live, or performing it themselves.

Neat point.  

Physically stored music is like a talisman: old and defunct but eternally substantive.   It exists outside the cybernetic realm even though it may require it.   It is the external, the existential and durable, the material that we can hold on to forever instead of relying on signals, numbers and light for storage.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
bender99 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 03:48
Everything I own musically is on CD, DVD, or even old LP's. 
Probably old-fashioned but I simply don't see the value in just paying for a series of files.. I want the physical copy, the cover art, the sleeve notes or booklets, it's all part of owning music for me.

The only issue these days is that where I live, it's basically impossible to buy what I'm looking for, so I spend half my time looking at overseas music shops seeing if they'll ship to Australia.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 04:24
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

Originally posted by ForestFriend ForestFriend wrote:

Neat point.  

Physically stored music is like a talisman: old and defunct but eternally substantive.   It exists outside the cybernetic realm even though it may require it.   It is the external, the existential and durable, the material that we can hold on to forever instead of relying on signals, numbers and light for storage.

Let me put this into a better context. Imagine if someone said that social media would become defunct because people used to communicate by written letters in the post. It's not the same analogy, but that's how the record industry and retailers viewed physical copies  of music prior to the age of Napster.

The album artwork itself was so much a part of the listening experience because the recording industry made it so. Or so they thought, to be more succinct. They felt as if they pulled the strings of public demand and not the other way around. The same way the tobacco industry manipulated smokers, with advertising, as selling records was a big business. Not as big as tobacco, but damn close as one point in the eighties.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 05 2017 at 04:34
Maybe, maybe not. I've always chased vinyl, I am more than satisfied with what's available. I think that it's there if you want it.......
Slartibartfast View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / In Memoriam

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 07 2017 at 15:41
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

It's a good question. If downloading is killing physical copies then it's a slow death. Vinyl has actually increased in sales quite a bit over the past ten years or so. I admit cds are on the decline but I think it will be a while before they are phased out entirely(if that does even happen). I think there's always going to be some kind of demand for a physical copy of something. I think it's the collector mentality in many of us. For example books are still around also. Sure you now have kindle but people still like to read physical books. With music people like to see the artwork and hold it in their hands. Cds do have some advantages over vinyl and vice versa but both have advantages(and I suppose disadvantages too)over downloads. If physical copies were eradicated completely I think too many people would rebel and demand for their return.
I have to have physical copies although I do see more postings of "vinyls" on Facebook.  BTW I hate that term. When I was growing up they were LPs, singles (really they always had two sides, doesn't that make them a double?) I haven't had a functioning turntable in a few years now.  I wish I did because there are some albums I still need to copy to CD.  Larry Coryell in particular. I also have my newest 100 on my "phone" and am making a chronological pass through my collection.  Currently on 1978.  Back in what I consider the LP era, I'd always copy to cassette to preserve the record and for portability.

Edited by Slartibartfast - October 07 2017 at 15:42
Released date are often when it it impacted you but recorded dates are when it really happened...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12