Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: God
    Posted: October 18 2017 at 16:45
What does the word god mean to you??
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 18 2017 at 19:14
Nothing. I pray to dog because i'm dyslexic

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 00:13
the Supreme Being and the principal object of faith
Man With Hat View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Jazz-Rock/Fusion/Canterbury Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Man With Hat Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 00:27
you rang?
Dig me...But don't...Bury me
I'm running still, I shall until, one day, I hope that I'll arrive
Warning: Listening to jazz excessively can cause a laxative effect.
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 00:51
Who ??
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 01:03
leave me out of this, you heathen
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 01:05
god (n.)Old English god "supreme being, deity; the Christian God; image of a god; godlike person," from Proto-Germanic *guthan(source also of Old Saxon, Old Frisian, Dutchgod, Old High German got, German Gott, Old Norse guð, Gothic guþ), from PIE *ghut-"that which is invoked" (source also of Old Church Slavonic zovo "to call," Sanskrit huta-"invoked," an epithet of Indra), from root*gheu(e)- "to call, invoke." 

But some trace it to PIE *ghu-to- "poured," from root *gheu- "to pour, pour a libation" (source of Greek khein "to pour," also in the phrase khute gaia "poured earth," referring to a burial mound; see found (v.2)). "Given the Greek facts, the Germanic form may have referred in the first instance to the spirit immanent in a burial mound" [Watkins]. See also Zeus. In either case, not related togood.

Popular etymology has long derived Godfrom good; but a comparison of the forms ... shows this to be an error. Moreover, the notion of goodness is not conspicuous in the heathen conception of deity, and ingood itself the ethical sense is comparatively late. [Century Dictionary, 1902]

Originally a neuter noun in Germanic, the gender shifted to masculine after the coming of Christianity. Old English godprobably was closer in sense to Latinnumen. A better word to translate deusmight have been Proto-Germanic *ansuz, but this was used only of the highest deities in the Germanic religion, and not of foreign gods, and it was never used of the Christian God. It survives in English mainly in the personal names beginning in Os-.

I want my lawyer, my tailor, my servants, even my wife to believe in God, because it means that I shall be cheated and robbed and cuckolded less often. ... If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him. [Voltaire]

God bless you after someone sneezes is credited to St. Gregory the Great, but the pagan Romans (Absit omen) and Greeks had similar customs. God's gift to _____ is by 1938. God of the gaps means "God considered solely as an explanation for anything not otherwise explained by science;" the exact phrase is from 1949, but the words and the idea have been around since 1894. God-forbids was rhyming slang for kids ("children"). God squad "evangelical organization" is 1969 U.S. student slang.God's acre "burial ground" imitates or partially translates German Gottesacker, where the second element means "field;" the phrase dates to 1610s in English but was noted as a Germanism as late as Longfellow.

How poore, how narrow, how impious a measure of God, is this, that he must doe, as thou wouldest doe, if thou wert God. [John Donne, sermon preached in St. Paul's Jan. 30, 1624/5]

Related Entriesdemigodfoundgiddygod-awfulgodchildgod-damngod-daughtergoddessgodfathergod-fearinggodforsakengodfreygodheadgodismgodlessgodlikegodlygodmothergodparentgodsendSee all related words (30)

Alphabetical list

gobo

gobsmacked

goby

go-by

go-cart

god

god-awful

godchild

god-damn

god-daughter

goddess

ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZ

IntroductionSourcesLinks

词根词源词典 App微信公众号

Who did thisFollow us on Facebook

Donate with PayPalYe Olde Swag ShoppeSponsored Words

Web design and development by MaoningTech.

© 2001-2017 Douglas Harper

Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Blacksword Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 03:21
I usually use the word as part of cursing to be honest. The concept of a god is meaningless to me. I'm as connected to religion as I am to the illuminati or the flat Earth brigade.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Saperlipopette! View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Saperlipopette! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 05:00
The dumbest invention of mankind - apparently Gods is a better idea than A God. Hell (also a bad idea), even the atom bomb is a better idea.
David64T View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote David64T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 05:53
Originally posted by condor condor wrote:

What does the word god mean to you??

Ten minutes plus of guitar insanity courtesy of Lobby Loyde, also known as Guitar OverDose.

Fortunately I was way way way too young to ever attend any of the (many) infamous live performances...

Seasons Of Change - weekly programme on community radio: http://seasonsofchangeradio.blogspot.com.au/
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 06:50
For the thousandth time, Jimi Hendrix.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
chopper View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chopper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 09:46
A John Lennon song.
Frankh View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Frankh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 11:04
The Gates Of Delirium
npjnpj View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote npjnpj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:19
deleted

Edited by npjnpj - October 19 2017 at 15:26
The T View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The T Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 19 2017 at 15:55
It's dog spelled backwards
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 10:49
While my temptation -- not like the last temptation of Christ -- would be to merely pull a dictionary definition of God, I perceive God as a fabricated construct of man that can lead to, and be a part of, dangerous delusions.

I'm an agnostic atheist, by the way, although I'm quite a hard atheist, as I can't say with certainty that a god in some form could not exist, but I don't believe that God is a necessary assumption and see God as a persistent notion of stone age thinking when man understood much less about the cosmos. The vaguer the conception of god the more likely (I could posit), but one can, in a sense, define God into existence.

Condor, what does God mean to you?
Just a fanboy passin' through.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 17:56

The Nameless Absolute

Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 18:03
^hell yeah absolutely nothing
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
Mellotron Storm View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mellotron Storm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 18:08
Endless Love Heart
"The wind is slowly tearing her apart"

"Sad Rain" ANEKDOTEN
Tillerman88 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tillerman88 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 23 2017 at 18:19
Something For Nothing all the way
The overwhelming amount of information on a daily basis restrains people from rewinding the news record archives to refresh their memories...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 15>