Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 14:01
Surprising how high a percentage of PA appear to be atheistic even though prog is generally associated with high IQ.
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 14:06
^ No, the music you listen to does not effect your intelligence or religion believe it or not.
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 14:08
^ Are you implying that the majority of PA members are r*tards? Shocked
Formentera Lady View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Formentera Lady Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 14:19
Originally posted by Vompatti Vompatti wrote:

Not surprising how high a percentage of PA appear to be atheistic even though  because prog is generally associated with high IQ.
Corrected. Tongue

But on a serious note: no offences, ok?

Vompatti View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vompatti Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 14:25
Originally posted by Formentera Lady Formentera Lady wrote:

Not surprising how high a percentage of PA appear to be atheistic even though  because prog is generally associated with high IQ.
Corrected. Tongue

But on a serious note: no offences, ok?

Haha, it's funny because I can't see no grey bearded man in the sky, lmao ;D
dougmcauliffe View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dougmcauliffe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 01 2019 at 14:33

^ Are you implying that the majority of PA members are r*tards? Shocked

You're putting words in my mouth. If people don't wanna believe in an imaginary man in the sky based on a  book written 1000s of years ago, thats fine. It surely is not a reflection of their IQ though LOL
The sun has left the sky...
...Now you can close your eyes
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 11:25

It doesn’t matter if someone believes in Eternal Ever-New Joy or not.  Eventually, everyone will bask in it, it’s inevitable.

Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 11:35
Originally posted by CosmicVibration CosmicVibration wrote:

It doesn’t matter if someone believes in Eternal Ever-New Joy or not.  Eventually, everyone will bask in it, it’s inevitable.

There may not be a "real" heaven, but I'm already in prog heaven with the great albums I've been reviewing just lately. Smile

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - December 02 2019 at 11:36
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 02 2019 at 20:04
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

There may not be a "real" heaven, but I'm already in prog heaven with the great albums I've been reviewing just lately. Smile

The real heaven is… well, heavenly.  But it’s still just a stepping stone on the way back home.

HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 07 2019 at 23:54

It doesn’t matter if someone believes in Eternal Ever-New
Joy or not. Eventually, everyone will bask in it, it’s inevitable.
Except for those who don’t believe or have not been baptised or born again or have not confessed their latest sins in time or are not Jehovah’s Witnesses or have committed suicide or are witches or ... I can’t keep track.

Edited by HackettFan - December 08 2019 at 00:00
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Davesax1965 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Davesax1965 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 08 2019 at 02:47
Superstition.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 12 2019 at 14:02
I consider myself to be both an agnostic and an atheist.

I'm agnostic because Gnosticism deals with knowledge (having knowledge), and I don't "know" if a God does or doesn't exist, but also an atheist because I lack belief in a god or gods. I'm not convinced that a god or gods exist. That said, there are times that I lean more towards theism than others even when I don't think it really rationally grounded. Like with the X-Files, I kind of want to believe, but some conception of a Godlike entity I would rather believe in than others (and some conceptions seem less nonsensical than others). For some the idea of God is well-defined, for others it's a really nebulous concept. Some claim it's nature, well I'll continue calling nature nature. Some say it supernatural, beyond nature somehow, or outside of space-time or at least our local universe (if getting into multiverse models). To some it's an ET and God drives a flying saucer. I've been fascinated by the Heaven's Gate Cult, and have spent much time listening to Do (Marshall Applewhite as the "vehicle" he commandeered was called) and the followers. That was tragic, especially for the families. The website still exists, please don't believe in it. http://www.heavensgate.com/ I feel a connection with the followers, and long for a strong community, just not one that throws reason to the wind and ends up committing mass suicide. Religion can provide comfort and a sense of community, but I'd prefer "religion" that doesn't require belief in a God or Gods or expect one to uncritically accept dogma. When my child went to a religious school, she was ostracised or criticised it would be better to say for questioning (at least one of them was). She did bring out the old "If God was required to create the universe who created God?" To which the teacher gave some reason, to which she said something like, "Why should we believe that, what is your evidence?" The teacher complained, but I was proud (even if that's a sin). Mind you, while I never told her what to believe, I had discussed these concepts with her before -- there was some inculcation from me.

That said, despite being reasonable sceptical, under the right circumstances I could imagine falling into a cult. "Planet Earth about to be recycled. Your only chance to evacuate is to leave with us."

I guess others have seen Dawkins scale of belief, on a scale of one to ten, 1 might be, in my own words, I have complete confidence that there is a God (or gods), and 10, I have complete confidence that there is no God (or gods), right now I'd put myself at about an 8. He framed it specifically in terms of knowledge rather than confidence, at least when I read it, but such framing can present problems despite epistemology (theory of knowledge) dealing with the rationality of belief.. While there is the concept of a spectrum of theistic probability, defining probability for such a thing is problematic.

God seems an unfalsifiable proposition (from a scientific standpoint at least), although I have heard at least one Christian apologist claim otherwise.

Some have claimed that I cannot call myself an atheist because I lack confidence that God does not exist -- I lack absolute confidence in all things (am ultimately agnostic). Partially that's just a question of semantics. Atheim of course means without theism, but there is little theist inside me, which can cause some cognitive dissonance, and I'm comfortable calling myself a soft atheist, also known as negative atheist and weak atheist. I lack belief in deities, but I don;t claim that deities don;t exist. Some invoke the need for faith (and by faith I mean in a so-called "spiritual" sense, not faith that my wife isn't cheating on me, I don't believe she is, and find good reason not to believe it, but I wouldn't claim absolute certainty), but for me the default position is lacking belief in that which I have not been convinced of (and of course that that I am unaware of). I can imagine scenarios where I might be convinced that God exists, to be convinced does not require certainty, but whether or not I would be willing to, would or could sincerely worship It is another matter.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 12:07
Originally posted by HackettFan HackettFan wrote:

It doesn’t matter if someone believes in Eternal Ever-New
Joy or not. Eventually, everyone will bask in it, it’s inevitable.
Except for those who don’t believe or have not been baptised or born again or have not confessed their latest sins in time or are not Jehovah’s Witnesses or have committed suicide or are witches or ... I can’t keep track.

Metaphor soup sprinkled with a little symbolism as spice. 

To get to the highest of the heavenly realms and beyond, one must commit suicide and be born again.

Don’t misconstrued, it’s related to the ego and not the body.

“A seasoned witch could call you from the depths of your disgrace”

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 14 2019 at 12:12
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I'm agnostic because Gnosticism deals with knowledge (having knowledge), and I don't "know" if a God does or doesn't exist, but also an atheist because I lack belief in a god or gods. I'm not convinced that a god or gods exist. That said, there are times that I lean more towards theism than others even when I don't think it really rationally grounded. Like with the X-Files, I kind of want to believe, but some conception of a Godlike entity I would rather believe in than others (and some conceptions seem less nonsensical than others). For some the idea of God is well-defined, for others it's a really nebulous concept. Some claim it's nature, well I'll continue calling nature nature. Some say it supernatural, beyond nature somehow, or outside of space-time or at least our local universe (if getting into multiverse models). To some it's an ET and God drives a flying saucer. I've been fascinated by the Heaven's Gate Cult, and have spent much time listening to Do (Marshall Applewhite as the "vehicle" he commandeered was called) and the followers. That was tragic, especially for the families. The website still exists, please don't believe in it. http://www.heavensgate.com/ I feel a connection with the followers, and long for a strong community, just not one that throws reason to the wind and ends up committing mass suicide. Religion can provide comfort and a sense of community, but I'd prefer "religion" that doesn't require belief in a God or Gods or expect one to uncritically accept dogma. When my child went to a religious school, she was ostracised or criticised it would be better to say for questioning (at least one of them was). She did bring out the old "If God was required to create the universe who created God?" To which the teacher gave some reason, to which she said something like, "Why should we believe that, what is your evidence?" The teacher complained, but I was proud (even if that's a sin). Mind you, while I never told her what to believe, I had discussed these concepts with her before -- there was some inculcation from me.

That said, despite being reasonable sceptical, under the right circumstances I could imagine falling into a cult. "Planet Earth about to be recycled. Your only chance to evacuate is to leave with us."

I guess others have seen Dawkins scale of belief, on a scale of one to ten, 1 might be, in my own words, I have complete confidence that there is a God (or gods), and 10, I have complete confidence that there is no God (or gods), right now I'd put myself at about an 8. He framed it specifically in terms of knowledge rather than confidence, at least when I read it, but such framing can present problems despite epistemology (theory of knowledge) dealing with the rationality of belief.. While there is the concept of a spectrum of theistic probability, defining probability for such a thing is problematic.

God seems an unfalsifiable proposition (from a scientific standpoint at least), although I have heard at least one Christian apologist claim otherwise.

Some have claimed that I cannot call myself an atheist because I lack confidence that God does not exist -- I lack absolute confidence in all things (am ultimately agnostic). Partially that's just a question of semantics. Atheim of course means without theism, but there is little theist inside me, which can cause some cognitive dissonance, and I'm comfortable calling myself a soft atheist, also known as negative atheist and weak atheist. I lack belief in deities, but I don;t claim that deities don;t exist. Some invoke the need for faith (and by faith I mean in a so-called "spiritual" sense, not faith that my wife isn't cheating on me, I don't believe she is, and find good reason not to believe it, but I wouldn't claim absolute certainty), but for me the default position is lacking belief in that which I have not been convinced of (and of course that that I am unaware of). I can imagine scenarios where I might be convinced that God exists, to be convinced does not require certainty, but whether or not I would be willing to, would or could sincerely worship It is another matter.

How would someone define you?  A carbon based life form, a multicellular eukaryote, a son, a father, a musician, forum and site admin., etc..  A single definition will not encompass you; not even putting them altogether would embody your entire being.

A single definition or concept could never encompass the Divine.  The concept of God as everything comes very close but has many puzzling aspects.  For me, a lot of them have been resolved.  However, some are still not clear enough, and not just the physicality of it all.

I think the holographic universe principle has a lot of merit.  The full machinery of the entire universe can exist on the surface of a single atom.  Thanks to Leonard Susskind the holographic universe principle has become mainstream science.

In the end, no matter how much you search and learn you will not find resolve external to you.  It can be compared to studying musing theory your entire life from both good and bad teachers but never playing an instrument or even hearing a piece of well composed music.

The search for God realization has to come from within. First will come an overwhelming sense of peace, then an indescribable sense of joy.  This will signify that you are on your way.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2019 at 00:32
Originally posted by Cosmic Vibration Cosmic Vibration wrote:

It doesn’t matter if someone believes in Eternal Ever-New Joy or not. Eventually, everyone will bask in it, it’s inevitable.

To get to the highest of the heavenly realms and beyond, one must commit suicide and be born again.

Or except for those who don’t commit suicide [related to the ego] and be born again. Not so inevitable, then. Oh well.

I like the soup recipe.

Edited by HackettFan - December 16 2019 at 16:04
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2019 at 15:59
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I had wanted to make a copious response, but this time of the semester I am still grading final essays and I can only do what is possible within limited break periods. I’m largely like-minded with you, although I would assign a larger probability to the proposition that God does not exist. Here is a blog discussion by Dr. Richard Carrier concerning the use of atheist versus agnostic that I think you might find amenable [Link corrected]:

https://www.richardcarrier.info/archives/16076

Edited by HackettFan - December 16 2019 at 20:25
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2019 at 16:18

I think the holographic universe principle has a lot of merit. The full machinery of the entire universe can exist on the surface of a single atom. Thanks to Leonard Susskind the holographic universe principle has become mainstream science.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Leonard Susskind’s version of the holographic principle has only claimed that all the information within the interior of a black hole can be represented on the outer sphere, or event horizon of a black hole. I do not recall anything about atoms, but the notion has been around for some time and I wouldn’t doubt there are others with more comprehensive ideas about it. Again, by all means, correct me if I’m wrong.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2019 at 16:22

It doesn’t matter if someone believes in Eternal Ever-New Joy or not. Eventually, everyone will bask in it, it’s inevitable.

Or except for those who don’t commit suicide [related to the ego] and be born again. Not so inevitable, then. Oh well.

I like the soup recipe.

The point is that metaphors should not be taken literally.  

The word suicide is rather strong with a negative connotation.  However, I used it in the sense that no one can do it for you.  

You yourself will one day realize that you are not trapped in a meat suit.  You will overcome karma and realize that you are boundless, not even space / time will have a hold on you. You will come to the realization that you are created in God’s image; omnipresent, omniscient.

It may take thousands, millions or billions of years but eventually you will get there; everyone will.  You can’t stop evolution.  You have the ability to slow it down or speed it up, but you can’t stop it.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2019 at 16:25

I think the holographic universe principle has a lot of merit. The full machinery of the entire universe can exist on the surface of a single atom. Thanks to Leonard Susskind the holographic universe principle has become mainstream science.
Correct me if I’m wrong, but I think Leonard Susskind’s version of the holographic principle has only claimed that all the information within the interior of a black hole can be represented on the outer sphere, or event horizon of a black hole. I do not recall anything about atoms, but the notion has been around for some time and I wouldn’t doubt there are others with more comprehensive ideas about it. Again, by all means, correct me if I’m wrong.

there are many lectures on youtube by mr. Susskind, just google his name and the holographic universe principle.  I saw him several times on the science channel as well.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 16 2019 at 16:59

Wow, someone really doesn’t seem to like Jordan Peterson.  I never read or heard anything by Mr. Peterson so I can’t comment.  Richard Carrier may be right, I don’t know.

It seems that everyone wants to belong to something.  For spiritual evolution it may be helpful to belong to a group but it could also be detrimental, depending on the vibration of that group.  Ultimately though, realization comes in isolation.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 12131415>