Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 14:54
Originally posted by Jaketejas Jaketejas wrote:

Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

I tend not to use the term evil, because of certain connotations. I use the terms well-being and suffering more. If anger leads to a positive outcome, and ultimately minimises suffering and promotes well-being, then I might well see it in a positive light, but that itself is a complicated topic. In consequentialist normative ethical theories (a form of utilitarianism), one can only judge the rightness or wrongness of an action by its consequences.    In deontology, the morality is based on sets of rules rather than the consequences of an action.

In classic "the problem of evil" territory (one of the first things I studied in Philosophy), if God is omnipotent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient, why is there so much suffering in the world (and according to some views, in the afterlife too)? Evil need not just refer to human actions, but also to things like natural disasters and illnesses.

If God had revealed himself clearly (let's say to people generally), then we wouldn't have so many religions, and sometimes warring sects within religions, conceptions of God and Gods, nor would be have atheism (both positive atheism and soft atheism).   In term of the Abrahamic God and revelation, I have read the Old and New Testament, the Quran, and studied related texts, and God and his will is not revealed clearly to me, and I see contradictions (and obvious one between the Quran and certain Biblical interpretations is whether Jesus is God). There is variance in what is true and claimed to be Gods word. I do wish all firm Christians would read the Quran and all firm Moslems would read the Bible.

By the way, if a God exists, it may or may not exist outside of the universe, it may or may not exist outside of our local universe but in the greater cosmos, or it may not be possible for God or Gods to exist at all depending on the conception.   There have been more than a thousand gods, and a huge many hypotheses about the nature of a God.

One point I made is that whether or not you believe in God is purely a matter of faith. That cuts both ways (faith that there is God or faith there is no God) because one can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God from scientific measurements. However, you may (if you so choose) rationally infer the existence of God from conscience, from the fact that there should be a basis for good and evil (otherwise you must provide an alternative), as well as other arguments.

I don't see it that is way or see it as a simple dichotomy. I don't believe in God, in other words I am not convinced that God exists, but I also don't claim that God does not exist as I am not a positive atheist (someone who not only does not believe in God but also states that God does not exist). My lack of belief is not a position or article of faith. I don't believe in Zeus or Thor other than as a concept/ characters/ part of mythology..., but I'm not making a positive claim to the non-existence in the terms where we tend to talk about the existence of a God or gods.

On a tangential note, one of the worst claims I have heard as "evidence" for God has come from some Christians:

"I know that God exists because it says so in the Bible."
"Why do believe in the Bible?"
"Because it's the word of God".

I have often heard circular reasoning and begging the question arguments used to claim the position that God exists.

I agree that many people use circular arguments. I hope my arguments are anything but circular for the possibility of God, and the idea that either way (belief or disbelief) is purely a matter of faith. I cannot see your logic for choosing wellbeing and suffering as a basis. The reason is that they are states. I can rationalize a person who breaks into someone's home, steals their stuff, commits acts of atrocity on the family, and leaves with a tremendous sense of wellbeing. To me, that's evil. I can imagine a firefighter who enters a crumbling building to save a child, gets stuck, suffers and dies. I call the act, despite the suffering, one of good. I don't think we've mentioned any one particular religion because we haven't cleared the hurdle regarding the philosophy of moral law.

If a creator God exists, then if such God created the universe, it stands to reason that such a being exists outside the confines of our known universe, at the very least at the point of inception. Of course, if such a being exists, that being could certainly intersect with the creation. But, trying to detect such a being by scientific means seems to me like an exercise in futility. If such a God came down and made known intentions point blank to every person, then that would seem to me to be taking away from free will.

How such a God might handle the various religions is really beyond the scope of my understanding.

What people who call themselves Christians say regarding the basis of their beliefs is entirely up to them, but I have put forth what is, for me, a rational explanation for the possibility of the existence of God and what such a God might be like. And, I have done so without mentioning any religion, or beating up on any one religion.

This is not coming from a selfish perspective. Maximises well-being while minimising suffering.... The perpetrator might have a sense of well-being, but he has certainly not maximised the well-being of the family or minimised suffering. That is in-line with a response of mine to yours earlier in the thread where I said "While my determinism affects my views (under some philosophical definitions I would be considered a compatibilist), I have a sense of of morality based on the assumption that the world would be a better place if it had the least amount of suffering and the most well-being, and anything else that I think follows from it, and we should strive to make the world a kinder, fairer, and better place. It has to do with the kind of world that I would want to live in and what I think others would benefit from."

I don't have a problem with calling certain acts evil and good, or with how you're using the term. When people are classified as evil, or a supernatural force or presence, I am more likely to take issue. I love Time Bandits, and found Evil awesome in that. Just re-watched it last night:

Kevin: "You mean you let all those people die just to test your creation?"
The Supreme Being: "Yes. You really are a clever boy."
Kevin: "Why did they have to die?"
The Supreme Being: "You might as well ask why we must have evil."
Kevin: "Yes, why do we have to have evil?"
The Supreme Being: "Ah, I think it's something to do with freewill."

I concur with such a conception of God as creator of the universe, and have come up with the same conception (it's the only idea to consider and we are so limited in understanding) -- even as a child when thinking about it, that's where it took me. If no time, energy or space existed before this universe, and in fact nothing existed in the truest sense being the absence of something, then it seems logical that it would have had to be outside of it to create it. That said, it might still be part of the cosmos rather than being part of the local universe, and not supernatural per se.

I've also rather liked the idea of God being everything, and every atom is a part of its being. If there is God, we don't know if creating the universe was intentional anymore than our body producing new cells is intentional. God can be such a nebulous concept.

On the free will part (while acknowledging that I don't believe in truly free will) making his intentions known need not necessarily take away libertarian agency. My dad let his intentions be known often, but that didn't mean that I followed his wishes. I often chose not to (even if a variety of causes forced that effect).

I'm fine with people believing what they will, generally, provided they do not force those beliefs on others, and if I don't think it causes harm. That said, I don't think it is entirely up to them (even if I believed in limited free will) because people are inculcated with belief systems and made to feel guilty when they question all too often. Note that I was responding to more than your post, others have brought up religions, specifically, the God of Abraham, Judaism, Christianity and Islam was brought up. Religion does tend to come up when God comes up, of course, as I think most believers in God adhere to a religion and have developed a conception based on their religion.

Edited by Logan - June 28 2019 at 15:02
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 28 2019 at 17:23

I tend not to use the term evil, because of certain connotations. I use the terms well-being and suffering more. If anger leads to a positive outcome, and ultimately minimises suffering and promotes well-being, then I might well see it in a positive light, but that itself is a complicated topic. In consequentialist normative ethical theories (a form of utilitarianism), one can only judge the rightness or wrongness of an action by its consequences.    In deontology, the morality is based on sets of rules rather than the consequences of an action.

In classic "the problem of evil" territory (one of the first things I studied in Philosophy), if God is omnipotent, omnibenevolent, and omniscient, why is there so much suffering in the world (and according to some views, in the afterlife too)? Evil need not just refer to human actions, but also to things like natural disasters and illnesses.

If God had revealed himself clearly (let's say to people generally), then we wouldn't have so many religions, and sometimes warring sects within religions, conceptions of God and Gods, nor would be have atheism (both positive atheism and soft atheism).   In term of the Abrahamic God and revelation, I have read the Old and New Testament, the Quran, and studied related texts, and God and his will is not revealed clearly to me, and I see contradictions (and obvious one between the Quran and certain Biblical interpretations is whether Jesus is God). There is variance in what is true and claimed to be Gods word. I do wish all firm Christians would read the Quran and all firm Moslems would read the Bible.

By the way, if a God exists, it may or may not exist outside of the universe, it may or may not exist outside of our local universe but in the greater cosmos, or it may not be possible for God or Gods to exist at all depending on the conception.   There have been more than a thousand gods, and a huge many hypotheses about the nature of a God.

One point I made is that whether or not you believe in God is purely a matter of faith. That cuts both ways (faith that there is God or faith there is no God) because one can neither prove nor disprove the existence of God from scientific measurements. However, you may (if you so choose) rationally infer the existence of God from conscience, from the fact that there should be a basis for good and evil (otherwise you must provide an alternative), as well as other arguments.

I don't see it that is way or see it as a simple dichotomy. I don't believe in God, in other words I am not convinced that God exists, but I also don't claim that God does not exist as I am not a positive atheist (someone who not only does not believe in God but also states that God does not exist). My lack of belief is not a position or article of faith. I don't believe in Zeus or Thor other than as a concept/ characters/ part of mythology..., but I'm not making a positive claim to the non-existence in the terms where we tend to talk about the existence of a God or gods.

On a tangential note, one of the worst claims I have heard as "evidence" for God has come from some Christians:

"I know that God exists because it says so in the Bible."
"Why do believe in the Bible?"
"Because it's the word of God".

I have often heard circular reasoning and begging the question arguments used to claim the position that God exists.

I agree that many people use circular arguments. I hope my arguments are anything but circular for the possibility of God, and the idea that either way (belief or disbelief) is purely a matter of faith. I cannot see your logic for choosing wellbeing and suffering as a basis. The reason is that they are states. I can rationalize a person who breaks into someone's home, steals their stuff, commits acts of atrocity on the family, and leaves with a tremendous sense of wellbeing. To me, that's evil. I can imagine a firefighter who enters a crumbling building to save a child, gets stuck, suffers and dies. I call the act, despite the suffering, one of good. I don't think we've mentioned any one particular religion because we haven't cleared the hurdle regarding the philosophy of moral law.

If a creator God exists, then if such God created the universe, it stands to reason that such a being exists outside the confines of our known universe, at the very least at the point of inception. Of course, if such a being exists, that being could certainly intersect with the creation. But, trying to detect such a being by scientific means seems to me like an exercise in futility. If such a God came down and made known intentions point blank to every person, then that would seem to me to be taking away from free will.

How such a God might handle the various religions is really beyond the scope of my understanding.

What people who call themselves Christians say regarding the basis of their beliefs is entirely up to them, but I have put forth what is, for me, a rational explanation for the possibility of the existence of God and what such a God might be like. And, I have done so without mentioning any religion, or beating up on any one religion.

This is not coming from a selfish perspective. Maximises well-being while minimising suffering.... The perpetrator might have a sense of well-being, but he has certainly not maximised the well-being of the family or minimised suffering. That is in-line with a response of mine to yours earlier in the thread where I said "While my determinism affects my views (under some philosophical definitions I would be considered a compatibilist), I have a sense of of morality based on the assumption that the world would be a better place if it had the least amount of suffering and the most well-being, and anything else that I think follows from it, and we should strive to make the world a kinder, fairer, and better place. It has to do with the kind of world that I would want to live in and what I think others would benefit from."

I don't have a problem with calling certain acts evil and good, or with how you're using the term. When people are classified as evil, or a supernatural force or presence, I am more likely to take issue. I love Time Bandits, and found Evil awesome in that. Just re-watched it last night:

Kevin: "You mean you let all those people die just to test your creation?"
The Supreme Being: "Yes. You really are a clever boy."
Kevin: "Why did they have to die?"
The Supreme Being: "You might as well ask why we must have evil."
Kevin: "Yes, why do we have to have evil?"
The Supreme Being: "Ah, I think it's something to do with freewill."

I concur with such a conception of God as creator of the universe, and have come up with the same conception (it's the only idea to consider and we are so limited in understanding) -- even as a child when thinking about it, that's where it took me. If no time, energy or space existed before this universe, and in fact nothing existed in the truest sense being the absence of something, then it seems logical that it would have had to be outside of it to create it. That said, it might still be part of the cosmos rather than being part of the local universe, and not supernatural per se.

I've also rather liked the idea of God being everything, and every atom is a part of its being. If there is God, we don't know if creating the universe was intentional anymore than our body producing new cells is intentional. God can be such a nebulous concept.

On the free will part (while acknowledging that I don't believe in truly free will) making his intentions known need not necessarily take away libertarian agency. My dad let his intentions be known often, but that didn't mean that I followed his wishes. I often chose not to (even if a variety of causes forced that effect).

I'm fine with people believing what they will, generally, provided they do not force those beliefs on others, and if I don't think it causes harm. That said, I don't think it is entirely up to them (even if I believed in limited free will) because people are inculcated with belief systems and made to feel guilty when they question all too often. Note that I was responding to more than your post, others have brought up religions, specifically, the God of Abraham, Judaism, Christianity and Islam was brought up. Religion does tend to come up when God comes up, of course, as I think most believers in God adhere to a religion and have developed a conception based on their religion.

I loved Time Bandits growing up (I'm sorry I killed you Fidgit!) and Monty Python bitingly satirized institutionalized religion. These days, and especially with social media, I think that people often follow those who have the sharpest wit, and religious people are often targeted as the butt of the joke, as if every person with an ounce of 'religion' is somehow a blithering idiot, just fell off the turnip wagon, and is typically tied to a stereotype regarding politics (think Bill Mahar's Religulous). To me, the jokes may be hilarious, and I really enjoy sarcastic humor, but the cynicism does get old and tiresome, and empathy seems to go out the window. For me, I took time to question and explore my beliefs by first shrugging off all the baggage (including the institutional aspects of religion and considering the limits of science), and I think it is healthy to start from there. But, at some point, I do believe it is important to not live in a vacuum, and to take a decision, embrace and practice one's faith (whichever direction you fall - faith there is God or faith there is no God), and try to ... instead of always running the rat race and keeping up with the Joneses, maybe try to extend a hand, whenever possible in one's own sphere, to others. It is not an easier life, to be sure, but probably it is a more fulfilling one in many ways. I can relate to much of your post, and you raise a lot of great questions, too. Thanks for sharing your views.
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 29 2019 at 22:30
Something that really doesn’t seem to make sense is for believers to be offended by blasphemy. Hear me out here. I’m not talking about heresy. It does make sense for believers to actively oppose false teachings about their belief system. But blasphemy, “the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God,” sounds like something God should handle himself. If he’s insulted, he can punish the blasphemer now or in the hereafter. On the other hand, why would God be offended? It seems like that would be the same as you or I being angry at a two-year-old sticking his tongue out at us. For either of us to fly off the handle would be a sign of instability or irrationally. For us to insist that the other children punish the offending child would be petty and cruel.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 13:58
It is not clear what religion you are talking about, and different religions are all over the map about this. For some religions, blasphemy is forgivable. There have been many instances (probably more often than not) that people who believe in God have lashed out in anger at one time or another when their lives fall apart, and they blame God. Then, they eventually return to God.

The other point is that part of the rationale for the existence of God is that without the concept of God, it is difficult to rationalize a basis for good and evil. So, if God exists and is the ultimate good, then why would anyone who believes in such a being want to insult God? What blasphemy really amounts to is a turning away from God. But, in some religions, God celebrates the return to faith of one who has turned away, as well as newcomers who were previously unbelievers (including prior unbelievers who were actively persecuting believers). Those in such religions would argue that God 'handles it' very well. That doesn't mean to say that God approves of any evil, but rather provides the opportunity for forgiveness.

But, to me the question seems a bit circular, because in essence you are asking ... why is God ... or why are people offended by the offensive?
patrickq View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patrickq Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 16:37

But, to me the question seems a bit circular, because in essence you are asking ... why is God ... or why are people offended by the offensive?
Yes, I see your point. I guess I meant to ask how God could possibly be personally offended by one of his creations.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 17:33
For some religions, God is first and foremost a loving and forgiving God. So, yes, for those religions, the view is that God (being ultimately good and not tolerating those harboring evil motives) would be offended by the act of evil but, possessing unfathomable understanding and empathy, would be forgiving ... but only at the request of the offender. Part of the process is that the offender ceases their motive of evil. In other words, God tolerates slip ups and grants forgiveness out of love, but does not tolerate the continuance of evil motives). The human analogy I think is what you were pointing to earlier. A child or even an adult might steal from their parents, and the parents would quite rightly take offense. But, most parents would forgive their son/daughter if the child realized their offense and asked for forgiveness. Without a basis for moral law (good and evil), forgiveness is essentially meaningless. Otherwise, one asks ... forgiveness for what? Wrongdoing of course ... which implies the existence of good and evil. For some other religions ... well ... how can I put this ... you're toast! If you don't believe in God, which is also a matter of faith, then you have to face the issue of defining a basis for moral law. If you remember my earlier discussion, I said that love is not always good (Dudley's mum in HP) and the converse is true. In religions where God is generally loving and forgiving ... well, God detests evil ... and, as a result, takes offense when humans decide to follow evil motives.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 17:39
Maybe easier to see the argument if you flip it. If God was not offended by evil, that means that God condones evil ... which is impossible for a being that is considered by those who believe in God to be the ultimate good.
CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 17:57

There is nothing you can do to offend God.

He will not forgive you for anything.

He will not punish you for anything.

His will is for his wayward children to return home.

micky View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote micky Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: June 30 2019 at 20:31
God huh... 

ahh man...  get real...  God cares as much about your blasphemy or heresy as you care about the f**k YOU's a****le.. and MOTHERf**kERS... the ant you are about drop your size 12 upon throws at you.

God cares about one thing and it ain't you and me.. it is the cycle of life man. Birth and death.. destruction and renewal...
The Pedro and Micky Experience - When one no longer requires psychotropics to trip
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lewian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 06:35
Originally posted by patrickq patrickq wrote:

Something that really doesn’t seem to make sense is for believers to be offended by blasphemy. Hear me out here. I’m not talking about heresy. It does make sense for believers to actively oppose false teachings about their belief system. But blasphemy, “the act of insulting or showing contempt or lack of reverence for God,” sounds like something God should handle himself. If he’s insulted, he can punish the blasphemer now or in the hereafter. On the other hand, why would God be offended? It seems like that would be the same as you or I being angry at a two-year-old sticking his tongue out at us. For either of us to fly off the handle would be a sign of instability or irrationally. For us to insist that the other children punish the offending child would be petty and cruel.

If you insult god, you insult the believers. They may tell you it's about god but that's probably just projection.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 01 2019 at 08:08
I'm not being sarcastic or tongue in cheek when I say this but I think you can see why I deemed it necessary to undertake an exercise in rational thought.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 16:15
Exercise in rational thought. If we accept that time and space are infinite then I would think that a 'Higher Intelligence' almost certainly exists somewhere. This is obviously apart from my own personal experiences telling me that it's so. If we think that the part of the universe that we're aware of is all that exists anywhere then we're like the ant who thinks his hill and immediate surrounding areas are the whole world. Think about it.
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 17:08
^ What your describing is nature.   Nothing more and nothing less.   Not sure what you mean by 'the part of the universe that we're aware of'--  do you mean the part we can observe which is clearly minuscule, or the possibility that something else exists entirely that would remain undetectable even by a more advanced civilization?

Further, it seems that generally those who believe in a Higher Intelligence (God) will always do so, and those that see things in a scientific/para-physical way also will always do so.

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 11 2019 at 17:52
Right. You're right. As far as your question about the part of the universe we're aware of, ok again the 'space is infinite' thing. And by space I don't necessarily mean 'outer space' but just space.. like the space between you and your computer, or maybe whatever is on the outside of our universe(if it's expanding then it needs space to expand into).

I don't really believe in the God of the Old Testament, just doesn't seem believable to me. But a 'Higher Power' and One that communicates with me sometimes.. for sure.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 07:59
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Exercise in rational thought. If we accept that time and space are infinite then I would think that a 'Higher Intelligence' almost certainly exists somewhere. This is obviously apart from my own personal experiences telling me that it's so. If we think that the part of the universe that we're aware of is all that exists anywhere then we're like the ant who thinks his hill and immediate surrounding areas are the whole world. Think about it.

I was pointing out that an exercise in rational thought can lead to the idea of a higher power outside the known universe and that belief and unbelief are purely matters of faith.
Jaketejas View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jaketejas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 13 2019 at 08:00
You would need to go back and read my prior posts.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote YESESIS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 14 2019 at 12:56
Ok I read some of your posts and I see a lot of good and evil, and free will. Yeah I was shown that the purpose of this life is basically to learn and grow as people/spirits. Free will is necessary for this. And so unfortunately some will choose to do evil, until they learn a better way.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote HackettFan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: July 31 2019 at 23:03
I don't believe in God, but I encourage everyone to worship my ancestors.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 04:10
Originally posted by Atavachron Atavachron wrote:

^ What your describing is nature.   Nothing more and nothing less.   Not sure what you mean by 'the part of the universe that we're aware of'--  do you mean the part we can observe which is clearly minuscule, or the possibility that something else exists entirely that would remain undetectable even by a more advanced civilization?

Further, it seems that generally those who believe in a Higher Intelligence (God) will always do so, and those that see things in a scientific/para-physical way also will always do so.

and those who believe there is nothing but what can be checked by science exists will also always do so.

I have pointed out several times that I fall into neither category. as far as I know the belief Friede and I have, which we came up with after countless discussions, is pretty unique. we believe in an evolving God, as a result of the laws of nature. Gaia, who we are High Priestesses of, is a sub-entity of this God

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
2dogs View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote 2dogs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 05:09
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

I have pointed out several times that I fall into neither category. as far as I know the belief Friede and I have, which we came up with after countless discussions, is pretty unique. we believe in an evolving God, as a result of the laws of nature. Gaia, who we are High Priestesses of, is a sub-entity of this God

That sounds pretty sensible, a God developing along with all other aspects of the Universe.
"There is nothing new except what has been forgotten" - Marie Antoinette
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 15>