Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

God

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 05:17
I believe Everything is God.  The Universe and the spaces between are God.  You and I are parts of God, pretending we're us, contemplating God.   Therefore, whatever you say is so...and so it is. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:48
Originally posted by omphaloskepsis omphaloskepsis wrote:

I believe Everything is God.  The Universe and the spaces between are God.  You and I are parts of God, pretending we're us, contemplating God.   Therefore, whatever you say is so...and so it is. 

that is part of our believe too. however, a very basic belief is that there are no such things as "things". there are no such things as elementary particles, atoms, stones, chairs, bacteria, animals, plants, mushrooms, human beings or whatever

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Odvin Draoi View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:53
There are many mysteries in life. A smart atheist notices them, too. 

Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 11:54
Originally posted by BaldJean BaldJean wrote:

that is part of our believe too. however, a very basic belief is that there are no such things as "things". there are no such things as elementary particles, atoms, stones, chairs, bacteria, animals, plants, mushrooms, human beings or whatever

So if I'm holding a cup in my hand I'm holding nothing? Not sure how that works? 
( Speaking of mushrooms, I may need some mushrooms to figure this one out. Wink

Edited by Argo2112 - August 01 2019 at 11:54
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:25
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

So if I'm holding a cup in my hand I'm holding nothing? Not sure how that works? 
( Speaking of mushrooms, I may need some mushrooms to figure this one out. Wink

I believe that God is pretending to be everything else.  God pretending to be Jean.  God pretending to be Argo holding (God, pretending to be a cup) 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:40
you misunderstand. when people think of, for example, a chair, they think of it occupying some space in their home. but the chair exists in space-time, not just space. all these so-called "things" are in reality processes, including this entity called "Jean". with a person this is obvious, but with for example a chair it is much less obvious because the involved process is so slow. and the sum of all these processes is God

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:52
Originally posted by Odvin Draoi Odvin Draoi wrote:

I actually don't believe there are any real atheists. atheists don't deny God, they deny a certain concept of God (usually the concept of the Christian, Islamic or Jewish faith). that's why my first question to an atheist is always what his concept of God is. I have actually even heard stupid answers like "I don't need a concept; he doesn't exist". that's about the same as denying the existence of, for example, tigers. if you don't have a concept of what a tiger is it might be a nice fluffy rodent fitting into your hand, and the statement "tigers don't exist" becomes absolutely meaningless

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 12:59
I'm more of an apatheist, actually. I just am not interested in such concepts. 
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 13:11

you mean to say it makes no difference for you if God exists or no?

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Odvin Draoi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 13:18

Actually, I deliberately was trying to abstain from getting into a discussion about something I don't care.

Yet now that you asked, I can say that your tiger example is nonsense. Also, conversely a theist who rejects some particular concepts of theism by religions etc. are arrogant. As if they didn't get the idea from them. In Turkish there's a good saying for religious but arrogant people. A close translation can be like: Do not adapt the book to your way, adapt to the book. So if you're talking about God and stuff, you must be accepting the original concepts, directly or indirectly.

I REALLY don't want to discuss on this topic. And don't be offended by "arrogant" word. You can be as arrogant as you like, towards something that I don't care about. Peace.

Edited by Odvin Draoi - August 01 2019 at 13:23
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 13:26

Actually, I deliberately was trying to abstain from getting into a discussion about something I don't care.

Yet now that you asked, I can say that your tiger example is nonsense. Also, conversely a theist who rejects some particular concepts of theism by religions etc. are arrogant. As if they didn't get the idea from them. In Turkish there's a good saying for religious but arrogant people. A close translation can be like: Do not adapt the book to your way, adapt the book. So if you're talking about God and stuff, you must be accepting the original concepts, directly or indirectly.

I REALLY don't want to discuss on this topic. And don't be offended by "arrogant" word. You can be as arrogant as you like, towards something that I don't care about. Peace.

you have to accept the "original" concept only if you are a member of one of the religions it exists in, else you disqualify as a member. but there are many other possible concepts of God.

and the tiger example is anything but nonsense; it demonstrates the point

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 13:35

I actually don't believe there are any real atheists. atheists don't deny
God, they deny a certain concept of God (usually the concept of the
Christian, Islamic or Jewish faith). that's why my first question to an
atheist is always what his concept of God is. I have actually even heard
stupid answers like "I don't need a concept; he doesn't exist". that's
about the same as denying the existence of, for example, tigers. if you
don't have a concept of what a tiger is it might be a nice fluffy rodent
fitting into your hand, and the statement "tigers don't exist" becomes
absolutely meaningless

I have a different take. Atheism means without theism, and to claim that everyone is a theist would be wrong, I say with reasonable certainty. Atheists need not deny any God not to believe in God Or particular conceptions of God you might say). There are different types of atheists. The hard/ positive atheist claims that there is no God, the soft atheist (sometimes called agnostic atheism or negative atheism) need not make any claim about the existence/ non-existence of God, but simply doesn't believe in a God or gods, so then it is not an affirmative belief about God/ the non-existence of God. There are many things I don't believe in, but that non-belief doesn't require certainty.   I don't believe that you are a hirsute Trump-loving trucker living in Nebraska, and in fact I have evidence to believe otherwise, but I would not hold such non-belief that you are that trucker with absolute certainty.

One could define anything as God, but just because someone claimed that God is a rock and I believe in rocks does not mean that I would accept that God definition and therefore be a theist. "Aha, you believe in rocks therefore you must believe in God!" Or God is anything you want it to be or can conceive of... Not that useful to me. Someone might grow up in a remote location with no conception of a God or Gods and be atheistic without knowing the term atheist or theist.   If I considered myself to be a theist, I would want some conception of God to support my belief that I am a theist. As it is, as an atheist, I'm content in my lack of theism.

Edited by Logan - August 01 2019 at 13:42
Just a fanboy passin' through.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 13:44
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

absolutely meaningless

I have a different take. Atheism means without theism, and to claim that everyone is a theist would be wrong, I say with reasonable certainty. Atheists need not deny any God not to believe in God. There are different types of atheists. The hard/ positive atheist claims that there is no God, the soft atheist (sometimes called agnostic atheism or negative atheism) need not make any claim about the existence/ non-existence of God, but simply doesn't believe in a God or gods, so then it is not an affirmative belief about God/ the non-existence of God. There are many things I don't believe in, but that non-belief doesn't require certainty.   I don't believe that you are a hirsute Trump-loving trucker living in Nebraska, and in fact I have evidence to believe otherwise, but I would not hold such non-belief that you are that trucker with absolute certainty.

One could define anything as God, but just because someone claimed that God is a rock and I believe in rocks does not mean that I would accept your God definition and therefore be a theist. Someone might grow up in a remote location with no conception of a God or Gods and be atheistic without knowing the term atheist or theist.   If I considered myself to be a theist, I would want some conception of God to support my belief that I am a theist. As it is, as an atheist, I'm content in my lack of theism.

Logan, to be able to say something does not exist you first have to define what this thing is that supposedly does not exist, else the statement is meaningless. it is that simple

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 14:05

absolutely meaningless

I have a different take. Atheism means without theism, and to claim that everyone is a theist would be wrong, I say with reasonable certainty. Atheists need not deny any God not to believe in God. There are different types of atheists. The hard/ positive atheist claims that there is no God, the soft atheist (sometimes called agnostic atheism or negative atheism) need not make any claim about the existence/ non-existence of God, but simply doesn't believe in a God or gods, so then it is not an affirmative belief about God/ the non-existence of God. There are many things I don't believe in, but that non-belief doesn't require certainty.   I don't believe that you are a hirsute Trump-loving trucker living in Nebraska, and in fact I have evidence to believe otherwise, but I would not hold such non-belief that you are that trucker with absolute certainty.

One could define anything as God, but just because someone claimed that God is a rock and I believe in rocks does not mean that I would accept your God definition and therefore be a theist. Someone might grow up in a remote location with no conception of a God or Gods and be atheistic without knowing the term atheist or theist.   If I considered myself to be a theist, I would want some conception of God to support my belief that I am a theist. As it is, as an atheist, I'm content in my lack of theism.

Logan, to be able to say something does not exist you first have to define what this thing is that supposedly does not exist, else the statement is meaningless. it is that simple

Yes, but I'm not claiming that something doesn't exist, and atheists do not need to. If you don't believe that God exists, you're an atheist. Maybe my point would be better understood if I say that it is a lack of belief in Gods (I don't believe that which I lack belief in), which need not be positive negation, and that does not require certainty or saying that those who believe in Gods are wrong. I don't feel like I have sufficient reason to believe in a God. Its a non-belief not a claim that no Gods exist. I lack confidence that Gods exist therefore theism is not part of my belief system. That said, I could define Gods into existence if I chose to. And Logan said, "Let there be Gods, and there were."

Some people use atheism with very narrow parameters, saying that atheists must believe in the non-existence of God, no they just need to lack a belief/ confidence in the existence of Gods. There's a spectrum of atheism. My atheism is better thought of as non-belief than a belief system.

Edited by Logan - August 01 2019 at 14:09
omphaloskepsis View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote omphaloskepsis Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 14:14

you misunderstand. when people think of, for example, a chair, they think of it occupying some space in their home. but the chair exists in space-time, not just space. all these so-called "things" are in reality processes, including this entity called "Jean". with a person this is obvious, but with for example a chair it is much less obvious because the involved process is so slow. and the sum of all these processes is God

Since I believe you are a process of God that goes by the sound- "Jean", therefore the Jean God Process has spoken of the process of God reality,  ergo the process of God birthed an idea on itself.  How can the Cindy God Process disagree?  Wink
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 14:49

Since I believe you are a process of God that goes by the sound- "Jean", therefore the Jean God Process has spoken of the process of God reality,  ergo the process of God birthed an idea on itself.  How can the Cindy God Process disagree?  Wink

OK, I'm defiantly going to need those mushrooms now!

Edited by Argo2112 - August 01 2019 at 14:55
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 15:10
^ let me join you, dude.
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BaldJean Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 15:54

absolutely meaningless

Yes, but I'm not claiming that something doesn't exist, and atheists do not need to. If you don't believe that God exists, you're an atheist. Maybe my point would be better understood if I say that it is a lack of belief in Gods (I don't believe that which I lack belief in), which need not be positive negation, and that does not require certainty or saying that those who believe in Gods are wrong. I don't feel like I have sufficient reason to believe in a God. Its a non-belief not a claim that no Gods exist. I lack confidence that Gods exist therefore theism is not part of my belief system. That said, I could define Gods into existence if I chose to. And Logan said, "Let there be Gods, and there were."

Some people use atheism with very narrow parameters, saying that atheists must believe in the non-existence of God, no they just need to lack a belief/ confidence in the existence of Gods. There's a spectrum of atheism. My atheism is better thought of as non-belief than a belief system.

no, Logan. this is why I made the example with the tiger. saying that you don't belief in the existence of something only makes sense if you have a clear concept of what that something is supposed to be. if someone says "I don't believe in the existence of tigers" he means "I don't believe in the existence of catlike predatory animals with dark vertical stripes on reddish-orange fur with a lighter underside, with a length of 250-390 cm and a weight of 90-306 kg for males and a length of 200-270 cm and a weight of 65-167 kg for females, depending on subspecies". this is a concept of a tiger most people have.

there are, however, so many different concepts and definitions of "God" that saying "I don't believe in God" is meaningless unless you give a clear definition of what you mean when you speak of "God". saying you don't believe in the existence of something that you have no idea of what it is supposed to be in the first place is simply meaningless, and I consider you to be too intelligent for that

Edited by BaldJean - August 01 2019 at 15:56

CosmicVibration View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CosmicVibration Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 17:15

Would this be in line with string theory?   In that there are no elementary particles, just a fundamental element that vibrates everything into existence.  In essence there is no difference between an electron and proton in an atom, just a different rate of vibration.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 01 2019 at 19:59

I actually
don't believe there are any real atheists. atheists don't deny
absolutely meaningless

I
have a different take. Atheism means without theism, and to claim that
everyone is a theist would be wrong, I say with reasonable certainty.
Atheists need not deny any God not to believe in God. There are
different types of atheists. The hard/ positive atheist claims that
there is no God, the soft atheist (sometimes called agnostic atheism or
negative atheism) need not make any claim about the existence/
non-existence of God, but simply doesn't believe in a God or gods, so
then it is not an affirmative belief about God/ the non-existence of
God. There are many things I don't believe in, but that non-belief
doesn't require certainty.   I don't believe that you are a hirsute
Trump-loving trucker living in Nebraska, and in fact I have evidence to
believe otherwise, but I would not hold such non-belief that you are
that trucker with absolute certainty.

One could define
anything as God, but just because someone claimed that God is a rock and
I believe in rocks does not mean that I would accept your God
definition and therefore be a theist. Someone might grow up in a remote
location with no conception of a God or Gods and be atheistic without
knowing the term atheist or theist.   If I considered myself to be a
theist, I would want some conception of God to support my belief that I
am a theist. As it is, as an atheist, I'm content in my lack of
theism.

Logan, to be able to say something does
not exist you first have to define what this thing is that supposedly
does not exist, else the statement is meaningless. it is that simple

Yes,
but I'm not claiming that something doesn't exist, and atheists do not
need to. If you don't believe that God exists, you're an atheist. Maybe
my point would be better understood if I say that it is a lack of belief
in Gods (I don't believe that which I lack belief in), which need not
be positive negation, and that does not require certainty or saying that
those who believe in Gods are wrong. I don't feel like I have
sufficient reason to believe in a God. Its a non-belief not a claim that
no Gods exist. I lack confidence that Gods exist therefore theism is
not part of my belief system. That said, I could define Gods into
existence if I chose to. And Logan said, "Let there be Gods, and there
were."

Some people use atheism with very narrow parameters,
saying that atheists must believe in the non-existence of God, no they
just need to lack a belief/ confidence in the existence of Gods. There's
a spectrum of atheism. My atheism is better thought of as non-belief
than a belief system.

no, Logan. this is why I
made the example with the tiger. saying that you don't belief in the
existence of something only makes sense if you have a clear concept of
what that something is supposed to be. if someone says "I don't believe
in the existence of tigers" he means "I don't believe in the existence
of catlike predatory animals with dark vertical stripes on
reddish-orange fur with a lighter underside, with a length of 250-390 cm
and a weight of 90-306 kg for males and a length of 200-270 cm and a
weight of 65-167 kg for females, depending on subspecies". this is a
concept of a tiger most people have.

there are,
however, so many different concepts and definitions of "God" that
saying "I don't believe in God" is meaningless unless you give a clear
definition of what you mean when you speak of "God". saying you don't
believe in the existence of something that you have no idea of what it
is supposed to be in the first place is simply meaningless, and I
consider you to be too intelligent for that

I don't think one needs a clear conception or familiarity with many conceptions to lack belief in something. It may be meaningless to you, but such lack of belief may not be meaningless to others. I once heard a "non-believer" say something like, "I wish theism would just go away and I wish I didn't ever feel the need to describe myself as not having it."

Yes, there are huge number of definitions and conceptions, a great many of which no doubt I am unfamiliar with. I lack belief in that which I don't "know", and I am ignorant of most things. Okay, that could be phrased better from an epistemological perspective.   I lack belief in that which I don't believe in would be more precise, if silly sounding.

I don't believe that extraterrestrials are visiting Earth, but it is not inconceivable to me and I'm not claiming that there are no ETs around. I'm ultimately agnostic on the matter. If they are around, I also don't know what form they would take, nor do I know if they would have to pay long distance charges when phoning home.

I understand your example, but, and perhaps I am being excessively fanciful here, said person might not have that conception of a tiger and be confusing it with something else such as a Triglav (which is a Polynesian God, not that there are many tigers in Polynesia) or a Tiegrrr which is my name for the God of growling ties. "Tiegrrr, tiegrrr turning slight, on the collars of the sprite."   Or he or she might be referring to Tony "They're grrreat!" as not real. He might well not have a clear perception of what a tiger is but still not believe in it. I believe in many animals that I could not describe anywhere near as precisely as you have, and I expect that various atheists and theists also have fairly vague conceptions of God. Some would be thinking of an Abrahamic God with a white beard, booming voice, and some anger issues. I hold various conceptions of God, but for it to seem a useful concept/ construct, I won't use the term to mean anything and everything under the sun, erm, unless thinking of the God that is anything and everything under the sun. I was rather enamored with the Spinoza conception of God at one time.

When someone told me that she believed in God, I asked, "What God?" Of course most people would have some conception of what they say they don't believe in, which is why I think it clarifies things to say that I lack a belief in Gods, but don't claim that no conceptions of God exist. Perhaps all exist, I don;t believe so, but I wouldn't know. I am a non-theist according to whatever conceptions I have been exposed to and accept. Had I never been exposed or thought about any conceptions of God, I would still not be a theist.

There are many things I don't believe in because I have not been convinced, or agreed to the conceptions, and many things must exist that I lack belief in because I've never been exposed to them and have no concept of those at all.

God could be defined as anything, but unless someone accepts that definition/ conception, then that person is not a believer. Lack of belief does not require disbelief. I can't speak for every atheist of course, and as said there's spectrum and individuals with different ideas, but when I say that I don't believe in Gods or say that I lack belief in Gods, I simply mean that I do not feel convinced that God exists in any way that I have agreed to the definition/ conceived of. I'm not saying that conceptions aren't important. I doubt that every theist has a clear conception of God. I've heard God described in the most nebulous terms by some deists and in terms where we already have terms to describe the phenomena... like God is nature, or God is the universe. Okay, if you want to call that God, feel free, I'll call it nature and the universe unless the generally accepted terminology changes.

Someone who has never heard of or thought about Gods is atheist (without theism) even if they have no conception of a God. That person would not believe in something that he'she has not heard or thought of.   Of course said person would not say I do not believe in God as he/she/ze would not have a concept and only explaining what one thinks is a God to that person might said person say, "Oh, interesting concept, I don't believe in that." If one said God is love, then said person might say, "Oh, then I do believe in God". If you said, "God is fried banana", then sad person might say "Sounds yummy, I wold love to eat God". To which you might say, but God is sacred and not for consumption. Who knows? A new religion might spread with eating fried bananas considered heretical.

Definitions and concepts matter, but unless one accepts and believes in a God conception (it can be a very loose concept), then you're likely not a theist. One doesn't need to disbelieve not to hold a belief. I have no belief in a god that others have relayed to me or of which I have conceived and accepted.

Edited by Logan - August 01 2019 at 20:15
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314 15>