Forum Home Forum Home > Topics not related to music > General Polls
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Cinema fantastique I like from 2004 to 2016

Post Reply Post Reply
Poll Question: Pick one, and recommend more.
Poll Choice Votes Poll Statistics
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
0 [0.00%]
1 [33.33%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Cinema fantastique I like from 2004 to 2016
    Posted: October 24 2017 at 07:58
So these are bunch of "cinema fantastique" (SF/ fantasy/ horror) choices. I aimed for two per year.

Could have gone with many others -- especially love 2006 for V for Vendetta, A Scanner Darkly, The Host, Parika and Children of Men.
And I was going to do the anime Steamboy for 2005, but decided to do a couple of 2004s instead. The Visoneers was also on my list, but bumped. I almost went with the Zero Theorum over Her, and was tempted by The World's End. Would have liked to include EX Machina too (for 2015), but I happen to really like High-Rise (not a well-received film by quite a few).

Really wanted to add Dogtooth, but it doesn't quite fit. It's a bit weird to have two zombie films for 2016. I don't think The Double fits that well, but couldn't decide on the other for 2014.

Feel free to mention any others, especially if you think they would be of interest to people who like any of these.

Oh and feel free to vote if you've only seen one, but as always I'm more interested in what people have to say than what they just vote for.

EDIT: Instead of having two zombie films for 2016, I removed Train to Busan and swapped it for Arrival (which was very stylish).

Edited by Logan - October 24 2017 at 09:14
Just a fanboy passin' through.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 09:16
I've only seen 4 of those.....and heard of maybe 3 or 4 others...where do you find these? Are they on a cable channel or are you renting the dvd?
Netflix..? 
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 09:36
Combination. Seen a number of these on Netflix (quite a few of these have been on Netflix), some on DVDs borrowed from libraries (we have good libraries in parts of Vancouver), at the cinema, on cable, some as in-flight entertainment. I own several of these on DVD.
mechanicalflattery View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mechanicalflattery Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 09:56
A lot of fine choices, although none of my favorites from this time period (depending on what qualifies as cinema fantastique; Charlie Kaufman's Synecdoche, New York might be the best movie of the 21st century). For me, probably a close call between Let The Right One In and Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind. I'd take Lars Von Trier's Antichrist over Melancholia (and several of his earlier films over either of those). Children of Men would have been a strong contender over most of these, although I enjoy that one more analytically (admiring the long takes and filmmaking) than personally. Watchmen is better than any Zach Snyder film has a right to be. And so on... but I'll abstain from voting for now.

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 11:59
Typing badly from a little phone, but my choices would be rather different had I not opted for two per year. Synecdoche... Is one I thought of then promptly forgot. Would have been a very good 2008 choice for my tastes. But while 20rh Century Boys is not nearly so respected a full, I happen to love it (a Japanese film that is part of a trilogy that I watched en route to Japan). Antichrist would be a good pick per my tastes for 2009, and had I remembered it I would have included it. Children of Men I liked a lot but didn't resonate with me as much as my two 2006 picks. My favourite Lars von Trier film is The Element of Crime but I love his whole Europa trilogy of films as well as various others by him.

Right now my favourites of these might be The Lobster and The Bothersome Man. I love the dark humour and absurdist qualities of these films. The director of The Lobster directed another favourite film of mine from this period, Dogtooth.
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 15:18
Quite a few nice movies in there but still I prefer Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind by far.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 15:39
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

I've only seen 4 of those.....and heard of maybe 3 or 4 others...where do you find these? Are they on a cable channel or are you renting the dvd?
Netflix..? 
If you have a good internet connection, forget about the cable, Netflix or renting DVDs and start streaming your movies. It's free plus you get access to nearly any existing movie. Simply type the name of the desired film followed by "streaming" into Google and there you go. Lots of site will be filled with crap but once you learn how to spot legitimate sites it gets really easy. It's the best legal way to watch any movie you want.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Icarium View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Icarium Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 17:17
I like your inclution of a Norwegian movie

i would recomend you one recent cinema film which came this fall, Thelma, which is a movie within this criteria. If one like movies of Lars Von Trier and Nicolas Winding Refn (Valhalla Rising and Drive) directed by non reated norwegian Whos name also is Joachim Trier.. i highly reccomend that one.

Edited by Icarium - October 24 2017 at 17:19
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 24 2017 at 18:15
Thelma does indeed look to be right up my alley, thanks.
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 10:26
I don't recognise most of these titles as i don't watch movies in their original versions nowadays. (frog doublage mostly for me)

So other - - Stunning
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 10:58
^ The Road is one of my absolute favourite novels, and I have resisted watching the film (I did see a bit of it). If you've read and watched both, how does it compare? Never Let Me go is another favourite novel of mine, but I still watched the film and enjoyed it on its own merits enough to list it. Blindness, ditto, is another I considered but I found the book so much better than the film.

Thinking of Blindness, I just remembered another that I might have listed for 2011, Perfect Sense with Ewan McGregor and Eva Green.

Edited by Logan - October 25 2017 at 11:02
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 11:50
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

^ The Road is one of my absolute favourite novels, and I have resisted watching the film (I did see a bit of it). If you've read and watched both, how does it compare?

Both awesome afaic, both top 10. The courage and despair of the main character, the horror of the world they now live in...the scary parts are very effective, favourite Viggo performance.   
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 12:02
^ Thanks, been long enough since I read the Road now that I feel ready to approach the film (wife got me to read the book and it gave me nightmares, but still read it twice). I haven't seen very much of Viggo's filmography, but I loved him in A History of Violence

Edited by Logan - October 25 2017 at 12:03
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 25 2017 at 12:30
You surely won't be disappointed. I'm usually a slow reader but i've finished this book very quickly (a day and a half) and saw the movie four or five times but not recently...think i'll watch it again tonight. Enjoy, man.
 Post Reply Post Reply