Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Suggest New Bands and Artists
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedSun (Germany) for JRF

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Sun (Germany) for JRF
    Posted: October 28 2017 at 00:06
Another obscure (but active even currently) German jazz rock combo SUN have released the debut eponymous album in 1980.

siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 28 2017 at 08:54
^ great find and thanks for the suggestion. Listening to it this morning and i love this one. Very cool blend of both crazy Krautrock and Jazz-Rock which seems to be both dished out in equal magnitude as well as other stylistic shifts here and there including some sort of traditional folk music.

My curiosity has sent me on a search for a true definition. Seems that everyone else out there is in agreement about this single album by SUN as equally straddling the line of Kraut and JRF. I guess that would mean it should probably end up with similar bands like Ikarus which are in eclectic. 

Before we are hasty however, my buddy Ashratom on Rate Your Music has made an exemplary list of Kraut Fusion for the 70s / 80s. It includes the obvious examples such as Embryo which IS included in JRF here. So i'd be comfortable adding them to JRF rather than not have them here. This one is very addictive!

Watching the YouTube video has brought me to a suggestion of a band called Sustain which sounds like a symphonic prog band not yet here so will be making that suggestion soon.

I'll reserve my vote until i get some feedback from the rest of you but my first impression is a yes move to eclectic. 

Thanks Keishiro!

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
DamoXt7942 View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Avant/Cross/Neo/Post Teams

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 28 2017 at 02:18
 Post Reply Post Reply