Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Top 10s and lists
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - prog works that have attained "repertoire" status
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic Closedprog works that have attained "repertoire" status

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: prog works that have attained "repertoire" status
    Posted: November 12 2017 at 03:39
In thinking today about the lasting impact of prog, I got to wondering how many prog works have entered academia i.e. have been orchestrated for schools or arranged for other ensembles, and thus have become part of the "repertoire". This would mean the work has been found to have lasting appeal - further proof that prog did not die in the 70s, and will perhaps never die.

Tarkus is performed orchestrally in Japan and is very popular. Other works by ELP have
been orchestrated.
Close to the Edge has been performed by high school ensembles (semi orchestrated)
First Circle by Pat Metheny (somewhat proggy to me) has entered the repertoire

what other prog works have been "repertoired"? Zappa? Any work that has been arranged to be performed by non rock ensembles is on the road to being repertoired. Rachel Flowers does this in a way in her home studio.

aldri7

Edited by aldri7 - November 13 2017 at 01:09
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 12 2017 at 05:52
The Contemporary Youth Orchestra has arranged the music of Yes, and even performed a concert with Jon Anderson singing. Jethro Tull, Genesis and Pink Floyd's music was re-arranged by David Palmer and played with an Orchestra. There are many other examples as well.
 Post Reply Post Reply