3 [7.69%]
3 [7.69%]
1 [2.56%]
7 [17.95%]
You can not vote in this poll

Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 10 US psych and proto bands
    Posted: November 17 2017 at 20:30
Which of these US psych/proto bands is your favorite?

I left out Janis Joplin/Big Brother & holding company, Jimi Hendrix(and Experience), Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller Band and the Grateful Dead because I wanted to focus on ones that aren't as obvious. 
Atavachron View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Atavachron Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 17 2017 at 21:01
QMS for Cipollina alone, followed closely by Touch.   Cream, High Tide, Band of Gypsys, the Dead .

"Too often we enjoy the comfort of opinion without the discomfort of thought."   -- John F. Kennedy
ALotOfBottle View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ALotOfBottle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 01:38
Out of these, I like Mothers the best, even if they are far different from the other offerings. From outside the poll, I absolutely love C.A. Quintet's lone release Trip Thru Hell.
Categories strain, crack and sometimes break, under their burden - step out of the space provided.
maryes View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maryes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 02:38
Mothers of Invention
Sagichim View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sagichim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 03:31
Touch!
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Manuel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 14:03
Mothers of Invention takes my vote. Quite excellent list though.
DeadSouls View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeadSouls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 14:32
MOI
Dopeydoc View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dopeydoc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 15:09
In-A-Gadda-Da-Vida
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The Dark Elf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 19:04
The Doors. Love also.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 21:30

Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Which of these US psych/proto bands is your favorite?

I left out Janis Joplin/Big Brother & holding company, Jimi Hendrix(and Experience), Doors, Jefferson Airplane, Steve Miller Band and the Grateful Dead because I wanted to focus on ones that aren't as obvious. 

I know very little of this bands, but it was obvious Mothers of Invention (Frank Zappa) would win. Actually, it would have been a closer vote if he had been put next to the more "obvious" choices, and still in this particular forum I believe he would have wond against Janis Joplin, Jimi Hendrix, and The Doors (I don't really know the other obvious ones you mentioned, but I understand they were very notable too).
progmatic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote progmatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 18 2017 at 22:42
Spirit is one of the most underrated bands in ProgArchives. I did a poll on them and like 5 people voted. For this poll I would like to see Zappa replaced by Capt. Beyond.
PROGMATIC
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 08:28
Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

Spirit is one of the most underrated bands in ProgArchives. I did a poll on them and like 5 people voted. For this poll I would like to see Zappa replaced by Capt. Beyond.

The thing is though that Captain Beyond's first album is from 72 and this is a poll for sixties bands. They would be better off in another poll. 
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 09:43
By necessity I vote for the Mothers Wink
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 11:48
Mothers
Prog Sothoth View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Prog Sothoth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 19 2017 at 19:27
I'll go with the fudge...almost hilariously acid-drenched.
Mormegil View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mormegil Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 06:53
Mothers +1
Welcome to the middle of the film.
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AFlowerKingCrimson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 20 2017 at 22:58
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Originally posted by progmatic progmatic wrote:

The thing is though that Captain Beyond's first album is from 72 and this is a poll for sixties bands. They would be better off in another poll. 

I guess maybe you were thinking of Captain Beefheart? 
hellogoodbye View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hellogoodbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 03:30
Mama
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sean Trane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 07:08
no Jefferson Airplane?? Ouch

From this lest, Spirit, QMS and Vanilla Fudge in that order....

HP Lovecraft might also have been a valid choice for this poll
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 07:29
Originally posted by Prog Sothoth Prog Sothoth wrote:

I'll go with the fudge...almost hilariously acid-drenched.

I used to adore these guys and even today I find their musical chops outrageously brilliant. The singing though Like dialing The Moodies' more romantic gestures up to 11...and then in full blown harmony uuhhh Funny how something one used to love now makes you cringe. The music though still is as powerful as the first time I heard it. Those drums man!

Edited by Guldbamsen - November 21 2017 at 07:29
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>