Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGuided By Voices solo a nod to Steve Hackett?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Guided By Voices solo a nod to Steve Hackett?
    Posted: November 21 2017 at 08:10
This one's been bothering me for fifteen years. I figure if nobody here can work it out, I'm imagining it.

Ever since I first heard 'Christian Animation torch Carriers' from Guided By Voices 'Universal Truths and Cycles' album, the start of the guitar solo instantly put me in mind of some early Genesis solo by Steve Hackett.  Except when I went and listened to the songs I thought it might have been giving the nod to, I couldn't find the passage I was thinking of. Then I started wondering whether it might have been a Steve Howe solo I was thinking of, but that got nowhere, and besides, to me this whole songs sounds like it has early Genesis seeping in at the pores (if you can imagine Genesis as a guitar band); for instance the chorus, when it eventually gets around to it.

The part of the solo I'm thinking of is in the first few bars, just before the time change.

Sorry the sound isn't much. I couldn't get 'insert hyperlink' to work for some reason, so this is cut and paste.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lw273CvvG5o

(I know Guided By Voices aren't in the database; I'm not trying to nominate them. I think they have been already)
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 21 2017 at 15:24
I don't hear Steve Hackett at all. I'll keep trying though.
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 05:13
H'm sounds more like a Rush wannabe band (except for the singer) - the sound quality and mix is poor -the guitarist is closer to Howe - but not that close! - Nothing in the Hackett Canon I can compare it with and I think I have everything he has recorded! (quite a lot of stuff)
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 22 2017 at 09:32
I'm a huge fan of Steve Hacketts work.  Steve has quite a unuque sound and he likes to experiment with weird but wonderful sounds with his guitar. You can almost say he's thrown his own stamp on his own music,  which is often not copied by other guitar player,  except for the Genesis tribute bands!....Smile

The YouTube video bares no resemblence to Steve Hackett sound at all,  but more that traditional guitar sound solo,  found in most popular bands... Wink
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: November 27 2017 at 05:30
As the biggest Guided By Voices fan in the world I can tell you that both guitarist Doug Gillard and frontman/songwriter Robert Pollard are huge Prog fans. Pollard stopped by my office last year and we talked for two hours about Jethro Tull, Pink Floyd, Yes, Genesis and Amon Duul II - among other things. 

He's also a huge fan of Minutemen and Wire.

GbV live by the 4 P's: Punk, Pop, Prog and Psych. And there's plenty of all four in their music. My favorite American band ever!!! I love them even more than Kansas, Happy The Man or Spock's Beard/Neal Morse.

(This post excited me!!!)
bertolino View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 03 2017 at 08:44
Funny i would mostly think of Anthony Phillips on "The Knife", when both guitar and organ go for the lead...

45 years of prog listening and still movin'
 Post Reply Post Reply