Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Which King Crimson is most like Yes

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote condor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 02:37
Finally thought of it

Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 06:39
I can hear some Yesishness about that. Are there particular Yes songs that you would relate Walking on Air too? For me, like various others, the one that immediately sprang to my mind is Prince Rupert Awakes off The Lizard suite (not just because Jon Anderson is singing on it, but stylistically too).

While some seem to claim that Yes and King Crimson never have similarities, to me that's a very strange stance. Lizard, particularly Prince Rupert Awakes has similarities to Yes Starship Trooper and say "Everydays" to my ears. I think early Crimson albums have music that is easily comparable to early Yes -- particularly to Yes' Time and Word and The Yes Album as well as music off the Yes debut. I hear similarities to Yes in some music in Islands. Other people in the thread have established other similarities. It's interesting how people make and fail to make associations. The music of Yes and and Crimson are not of totally different worlds, and have had some shared personnel. With me, I most recognise similarities between the two bands during the 1969 to 1971 period (especially with pre-Fragile Yes), but I also hear similarities with some later Yes music.

This is a bit of strange thread to read through due to a lack of dialectic across various posts. I see a fair amount of thesis and antithesis without synthesis. One will claim, say, Prince Rupert Awakes, another will claim none etc. That said, I think there are some really thoughtful posts in this thread that make various interesting associations, and there is some good discussion.
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 07:20
I think there was lots in common specially in the beginning of prog in 1969-76. To me most different bands from the prog greats of those days are ELP and Gentle Giant, although ELP had specially Lake´s songs that reminds other prog of that time.
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cstack3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 11 2018 at 09:50
ABWH featured bassist Tony Levin, who used his King Crimson rig (Music Man bass and drumstick "funky fingers").  

Otherwise, I agree with "apples and oranges," although Prince Rupert Awakes was a nice break from KC tradition! 

Fripp was very close to becoming guitarist for Yes when Banks was booted out, I'm glad that didn't happen because the ego battles would have been epic! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 04:09
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Fripp was very close to becoming guitarist for Yes when Banks was booted out, I'm glad that didn't happen because the ego battles would have been epic! 
If that had happened, it would have been as long period as Tony Iommi had in Tull.
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dellinger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 12 2018 at 22:10
^ I wonder how it could have worked out... Fripp in Yes, and Steve Howe in ELP. However, we do know the way those bands turned out is great, and I can't imagine it coming out any better.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 00:59
^I think it was also really great Iommi went back to Sabbath, what a great albums they made! And I think Barre was the right one in Jethro.
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote moshkito Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: August 13 2018 at 11:42
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

ABWH featured bassist Tony Levin, who used his King Crimson rig (Music Man bass and drumstick "funky fingers").  

Otherwise, I agree with "apples and oranges," although Prince Rupert Awakes was a nice break from KC tradition! 

I find this strange ... just because this bass is used, or that mellotron, or that organ, all of a sudden it is supposed to sound like YES, when it is not even close, even in the lyrics and general composition. And this is the hard part for me ... just because the mellotron was used, it did not make them all sound like the Moody Blues ... but then we can say that is sounded like YES, or that ... the cat pooped in the litter box and it smells!

Listening to a piece of music, for ME, is not about does it sound like this or that ... it is about the way the instruments get used and work together to create a vision for the music, even if there are no lyrics to give us an "idea" (what a crock that is!) ... the music must live on its own, not because of someone else ... heck, so it becomes like saying that Tchaikovsky ripped off Beethoven (or vice versa) because he used 24 violins ... and Xmany of something else!

Are we talking music?
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123