Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGentle Giant

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 19:23
Originally posted by AFlowerKingCrimson AFlowerKingCrimson wrote:

Frank H, I find it odd that GG were opening for Renaissance at that time.

When I saw them in 1977, it was Renaissance opening for Gentle Giant. It was in fact the only time I ever saw GG as headliners, having previously seen them supporting Yes (1976) and Strawbs (1975).
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 19:32
Damn, Yes and GG must have been nuts to see together.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
scruffydragon View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 07:40
Years back I phoned up a mail order company looking for something a little more challenging to listen to. The nice people at GFT suggested I try a few Gentle Giant albums. The album I purchased was a double album with Live Playing the Fool on it. That album I loved at first hearing. Soon I had all the studio albums I could obtain. Incredible band and I love the medieval/renaissance influences in their music.

My favorite albums remain Freehand and In A Glass House. You just cannot ask a band for anything more........perfection.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 02:59
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Years back I phoned up a mail order company looking for something a little more challenging to listen to. The nice people at GFT suggested I try a few Gentle Giant albums. The album I purchased was a double album with Live Playing the Fool on it. That album I loved at first hearing. Soon I had all the studio albums I could obtain. Incredible band and I love the medieval/renaissance influences in their music.

My favorite albums remain Freehand and In A Glass House. You just cannot ask a band for anything more........perfection.

Awesome comment! I'm turning 30 in three weeks so I'm a tad younger, but I was still around for mail order stuff in the 90's/early 2000's from record stores. I can't imagine the excitement of the 70's and 80's. I'm in that sweet spot where I'm old enough to still understand the appreciation of HAVING TO WAIT FOR PHYSICAL MEDIA TO COME OUT vs just downloading. 

I still get tingles when I pick up discs! GG is the supreme prog outfit! Cheers! Wink

Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 12:06
Originally posted by scruffydragon scruffydragon wrote:

Ah, yes. Freehand and In A Glass House. You are one of class and quality.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 02:23
Phil Shulman was a vocal master IMHO.

Acquiring The Taste might be my favorite featuring his work. Anything with Phil on vocals is magic across all four records he's featured on. Black Cat might be my favorite off AtT, and most of that is due to his vocal delivery. Hell, even A Dog's Life off Octopus gets stuck in your head! His vocals on River are some of my favorite parts on that entire record.

"...And the rain that's caught in its flow..." Big smile

Edited by Frenetic Zetetic - January 03 2018 at 02:24

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 234