Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedKeith Emerson == Dick Hyman?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Keith Emerson == Dick Hyman?
    Posted: December 20 2017 at 19:22
No, the subject of this thread is not the start of a bad dirty joke or something LOL

I've discovered something very unexpected and was wondering if anyone else has ever heard this.  Following in the wake of Walter/Wendy Carlos' groundbreaking 1968 MOOG album, "Switched on Bach", it seemed albums featuring the MOOG were falling out of the sky (Switched on Rock, Music to Moog By, A Moog Mass, Switched on Santa, Nashville Gold - Switched on Moog, etc...)  Most of these are uber-cheesy and best ignored, but I was spinning an old one I've had for years yesterday and heard something quite surprising. 

The album is called, "MOOG: The Electric Eclectics of Dick Hyman" and was released in 1969.  Hyman was a composer/keyboardist known for other things when he jumped on board the MOOG train in the late 1960's.  The album even had what is considered the first "MOOG hit single" with a track called, "The Minotaur" which got to #27 in the 1969 USA singles charts.  Anyway, here's the shortened single version (the album version is 8+ minutes).  What makes it remarkable is that it so closely lays the groundwork for a certain armadillo featured song Mr Emerson would unleash a couple years later.  Also kind of interesting is the Minotaur/Manticore name similarity...I wonder if Keith actually knew this guy or just liked what he heard.  It's no secret Keith used to borrow from classical, but I was surprised to hear him borrow the opening Moog synth lead melody line so closely. 

Anyway, here it is:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sYKrcCSWrVc

Edited by The.Crimson.King - December 20 2017 at 19:27
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 20 2017 at 19:38
Could be, maybe.........
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 13:10
Definitely some similarities there......also reminds me of the moog on Lucky Man.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 13:19
I think that the "Lucky Man" tone was the only interesting sound they could out of the Moog in 1968. The rest was crackles and machine gun fire. LOL
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
richardh View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 16:54
Yes this is well known to ELP fans. Keith nicked it!

Easy Money View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 18:07
Keith was obviously a fan of Hyman, he plays musical quotes from him on ELP's live album.
Hyman was one of the better piano players of the last century, adept at any jazz style from ragtime up to avant-garde. He had some fun with the synthesizers for a while back in the day, but he is mostly known for his virtuoso piano skills.
 Post Reply Post Reply