Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boston (the band led by Tom Scholz)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boston (the band led by Tom Scholz)
    Posted: December 21 2017 at 11:25
Has there ever been any discussion as to whether BOSTON, the band that debuted with a mega-selling album in 1976, should qualify for this board? Too many "hits"? Too mainstream? Too "rock'n'roll"?

If there's room for Led Zeppelin and Styx, shouldn't BOSTON qualify as Heavy Prog, or Crossover Prog, or even Prog-Related?
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jeffro Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 11:37
Is there anything about Boston's music that is prog? (I don't know, I'm asking)
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
Larkstongue41 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Larkstongue41 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 11:46
The topic seems to have been discussed at great length: http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=43401&KW=boston&PID=2687086#2687086

I'd personally say yes for Prog-related.
"Larks' tongues. Wrens' livers. Chaffinch brains. Jaguars' earlobes. Wolf nipple chips. Get 'em while they're hot. They're lovely. Dromedary pretzels, only half a denar."
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 11:54
Even if we overlook the ultra-cool "Guitar Spaceship" album covers, I think the following qualities would qualify the band for this site:

1. Finely detailed attention to multi-tracked lead vocals.
2. Virtuosic extended guitar soloing.
3. Virtuosic extended Hammond organ soloing.
4. While nothing the band has done could accurately be described as an "epic", they have no qualms about exceeding the 5-minute mark in track timing.
5. Perfectionistic production that is amazingly warm: the absolute antithesis of "slickness" or "sterility". 
Steve Wyzard View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Wyzard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 12:14
Thank you for your reply: I was completely unaware this topic had been discussed before.

But then again, it's been 10 years....
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 13:17
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

Even if we overlook the ultra-cool "Guitar Spaceship" album covers, I think the following qualities would qualify the band for this site:

4. While nothing the band has done could accurately be described as an "epic", they have no qualms about exceeding the 5-minute mark in track timing.
5. Perfectionistic production that is amazingly warm: the absolute antithesis of "slickness" or "sterility". 
I believe that these qualities cover many in the AOR category, but to the point, what makes these features progressive? I don't know, I'm just asking.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 13:20
Not particularly a fan of Boston.....but I don't hate them either, but to me they are certainly as 'proggy' as Led Zep or The Who and other bands that are on here under prog related.
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 13:22
^I agree Doc. But sometimes 3 wrongs don't make a right.
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 13:33
^ Well then....maybe we should just get rid of this whole category......   ;)
http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=38
Haquin
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 13:40
^ That's only possible if we buy the website Doc, but I think that this guy called M@X doesn't really exist. Kind of like the Wizard of Oz! LOL
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dr wu23 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 15:43
So then....who is actually in charge of this asylum....?
If it was me...Captcha would be gone and categories would shift as well as band inclusions.

;)
Haquin
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote The.Crimson.King Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 21 2017 at 19:59
Not a fan of Boston at all, but I remember that my cousin bought me their debut album back in the 70's because it had a sticker on the front that read, "The perfect mix of Led Zeppelin and Yes".  Not quite sure how to reconcile that because to my ears it sounded nothing like either one LOL
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 01:24
Also not a big fan of Boston, but my brother bought their first album in the eighties and I bought some years later Third Stage, that I have been sold, cause haven´t found that as good as that first one. Heard also their second album that is not also as good as first. I think there are some prog in Foreplay/Long Time, maybe little Hitch a Ride too. Not anything against adding it here into some catagory (asking to me I haven´t got anything against any music somebody love). Just found out Magnum seem to be there too, so why not Boston? Yes, I know Magnum´s two first albums are quite prog, although many think them just AOR-band.
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guldbamsen Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 02:04
Originally posted by Steve Wyzard Steve Wyzard wrote:

You've just described 90% of all rock recorded in the 70s. This applies to Elton John, The Sweet, Foreigner and Grand Funk Railroad.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
Tom Ozric View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Ozric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 22 2017 at 02:30
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Not a fan of Boston at all, but I remember that my cousin bought me their debut album back in the 70's because it had a sticker on the front that read, "The perfect mix of Led Zeppelin and Yes".  Not quite sure how to reconcile that because to my ears it sounded nothing like either one LOL
Zep & Yes ???
Then again, I’ve only ever heard that More Than A Feeling song and it makes me puke
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 10:32
LOL
Argo2112 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Argo2112 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 10:40
I like Bostons first album but I don't think they are very "proggy"
I suppose you could argue Foreplay/ Long time could be prog related but that's about it.
Nice melodic rock stuff but not prog. 
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 13:49
Originally posted by Argo2112 Argo2112 wrote:

I like Bostons first album but I don't think they are very "proggy"
I suppose you could argue Foreplay/ Long time could be prog related but that's about it.
Nice melodic rock stuff but not prog. 

I agree
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 14:02
Interesting comparison with Magnum made by Mortte. I've been a fan for years and thought the Kingdom of Madness album was quite proggy - especially 'In the Beginning'. However, over their extended career they have shifted from prog-related, pomp, ballads or just straight down the middle classic rock - often in the same album. Never progressive enough for the proggers, but never quite ballsy enough for the leather and denim crowd either. I'd say they are more prog-related than Boston, which might be why they were able to sneak onto the Prog Stage at one of the High Voltage festivals a few years back. A few tracks on the new album have a symphonic echo to them and the keyboards are higher up the mix with the new keyboardist. Thoughtful classic rock might be closer to the mark, perhaps.

Edited by Squonk19 - March 19 2018 at 14:03
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Barbu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: March 19 2018 at 14:22
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Zep & Yes ???
Then again, I’ve only ever heard that More Than A Feeling song and it makes me puke

Says the too shy shy hush hush eye to eye dude.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>