Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedWhat did you like about the music of the 70s?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 04:23

let's just say that prog was semi-experimental music, but popular (in numbers & sales) enough to be encompassed in the "mainstream".
But let's face it, most experimental (let's say Avant/RIO) hasn't really progressed much since the mid-80's (when RIO peaked, but also stuff like Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle or Killing Joke, etc....)
Only post-rock and Trip Hop were meaningful experimental movements and both came close to be 'mainstream", but no cigar.

Disagree. Even in Finland Pekka Airaksinen joined into Sperm collective and they released 1970 really ahead of time, experimental album "Shh, Heinäsirkat". Then there were Velvet Underground, Red Krayola, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band. Lots of bands in German Krautrock-movement were really experimental. Brian Eno started his experimental solo career in 1973 and Pere Ubu is formed in 1975. If you think experimental hadnīt progressed in those I just mentioned, I donīt understand you. I donīt think experimental has ever been very near of mainstream, although for example Sonic Youth become quite popular when starting add more conventional elements into itīs music.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 05:54
Forgot to mention Frank Zappa. His Lumpy Gravy is really experimental, also Motherīs Uncle Meat.
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 09:41
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

let's just say that prog was semi-experimental music, but popular (in numbers & sales) enough to be encompassed in the "mainstream".
But let's face it, most experimental (let's say Avant/RIO) hasn't really progressed much since the mid-80's (when RIO peaked, but also stuff like Cabaret Voltaire, Throbbing Gristle or Killing Joke, etc....)
Only post-rock and Trip Hop were meaningful experimental movements and both came close to be 'mainstream", but no cigar.

Disagree. Even in Finland Pekka Airaksinen joined into Sperm collective and they released 1970 really ahead of time, experimental album "Shh, Heinäsirkat". Then there were Velvet Underground, Red Krayola, Captain Beefheart and His Magic Band. Lots of bands in German Krautrock-movement were really experimental. Brian Eno started his experimental solo career in 1973 and Pere Ubu is formed in 1975. If you think experimental hadnīt progressed in those I just mentioned, I donīt understand you. I donīt think experimental has ever been very near of mainstream, although for example Sonic Youth become quite popular when starting add more conventional elements into itīs music.

I don't see how we disagree here.... I was talking of a later experimental rock date, not an earlier oneWink

Maybe I shouldn't have mentioned RIO, for its starting date is in themed-70's.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:05
Well, I think I understood wrong. I understood youīre saying that experimental music was the greatest in the eighties and there isnīt much of it at seventies or sixties. But you seem to say that it didnīt develop anymore after eighties. And I agree, there are still experimental acts today, but nothing really new.
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 10:13
Originally posted by Sean Trane Sean Trane wrote:

>> Only a few "prog" bands didn't care about rhythm: Tangerine Dream (until they started with sequencers) and Ash Ra Temple. Tongue

We're still not connecting on this.  I don't mean "rhythm" in terms of a rock rhythm section which is obviously huge in prog, but styles of music that focus only on rhythm or 'beats'...

>> Nope, Funk "ruled" since the very early 70's, with James Brown, Kool & The Gang (first album in 69, and it was rather good), EW&F and Funkadelic. and when I say "ruled", I meant on commercial radios.

Well, I always did my best to stay far away from 70's commercial radio Wink

>> Geddy didn't care about "getting the chicks".... Wearing a Disco Sucks T-shirt automatically excluded you from the bras and panties of disco-going chicks

I didn't need bras and panties of disco going chicks, my Yes-fan wife bought me my Disco Sucks shirt LOL
condor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 04 2018 at 13:23
Heart, Be Bop Deluxe, Roxy Music
Sean Trane View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator

Prog Folk

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 05 2018 at 02:19
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

>> Only a few "prog" bands didn't care about rhythm: Tangerine Dream (until they started with sequencers) and Ash Ra Temple. Tongue

We're still not connecting on this.  I don't mean "rhythm" in terms of a rock rhythm section which is obviously huge in prog, but styles of music that focus only on rhythm or 'beats'... >> Well I am toying with you a little here Wink (that's why I used the Tongue smiley)

>> Nope, Funk "ruled" since the very early 70's, with James Brown, Kool & The Gang (first album in 69, and it was rather good), EW&F and Funkadelic. and when I say "ruled", I meant on commercial radios.

Well, I always did my best to stay far away from 70's commercial radio Wink >> As I said, you were probably very lucky to live in Frisco in the 70's....

>> Geddy didn't care about "getting the chicks".... Wearing a Disco Sucks T-shirt automatically excluded you from the bras and panties of disco-going chicks

I didn't need bras and panties of disco going chicks, my Yes-fan wife bought me my Disco Sucks shirt LOL  >> You're old enough to have been married in the late 70's. Fine!!, but I was busy chasing everything with a skirt back then (well almost LOLEmbarrassed)... and the disco chicks were often the best looking and most promiscuous and the best chance to get laid... telling her that the music she loved sucked almost certainly meant that you were not getting sucked on... LOL

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123