Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Best Gentle Giant songs for a Symphonic Prog fan
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedBest Gentle Giant songs for a Symphonic Prog fan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 03:12
Gawd, I can’t recall the actual song titles, but some of Acquiring The Taste sounds ‘symphonic’ to me.
And, yes, His Last Voyage is pure majik !! My fave song off of Free Hand.
BaldFriede View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 05:28
"Octopus" and "Acquiring the Taste" are their best albums, and there is a lot for the symphonic prog fan on them.

BaldJean and I; I am the one in blue.
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 05:49
Originally posted by BaldFriede BaldFriede wrote:

"Octopus" and "Acquiring the Taste" are their best albums, and there is a lot for the symphonic prog fan on them.
Agreed!
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 09:08
Anything from Free Hand. I find it's the most "symphonic" GG album.
ClosetothSupperBrick View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 15:18
Originally posted by Tom Ozric Tom Ozric wrote:

Gawd, I can’t recall the actual song titles, but some of Acquiring The Taste sounds ‘symphonic’ to me.
And, yes, His Last Voyage is pure majik !! My fave song off of Free Hand.

Haha, since you've listened to thousands of songs, it is understandable that you forget the specific song titles of symphonic songs from a certain album! I will listen to that album for sure. I've already listened to "Pantagruel's Nativity" and a sample of "The House, The Street, The Room", and they're good. I also have to listen to "Free Hand"and "His Last Voyage", per suggestions from this thread, so thank you for recommending that "majik" song, it will be listened to today!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 28 2017 at 18:24
As a fan of their more complex works, I do have to agree with the suggestions in this thread for a symphonic fan. You're pretty much good up to Octopus IMO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 29 2017 at 14:15
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

As a fan of their more complex works, I do have to agree with the suggestions in this thread for a symphonic fan. You're pretty much good up to Octopus IMO.

The funny thing is my favorite song of Gentle Giant's is "In a Glass House", which came after Octopus! Thanks for commenting.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 04:00
Originally posted by ClosetothSupperBrick ClosetothSupperBrick wrote:

The funny thing is my favorite song of Gentle Giant's is "In a Glass House", which came after Octopus! Thanks for commenting.

I'd be lying if I didn't say said title track is in my top 3 GG tracks of all time.

The way I look at their discography, is Octopus was their peak with Phil in that style. The following three recordings are pretty evenly matched as far as I'm personally concerned. In a Glass House, The Power and The Glory, and Free Hand are pretty much archetypal progressive rock.

Olape View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 07:47
Hi everybody!
Try the Three Piece Suite (Steven Wilson Mix) from this year. A really good selection of songs from the first three GG albums, including a lot of the tracks mentioned here.

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 16:48

I'd be lying if I didn't say said title track is in my top 3 GG tracks of all time.

The way I look at their discography, is Octopus was their peak with Phil in that style. The following three recordings are pretty evenly matched as far as I'm personally concerned. In a Glass House, The Power and The Glory, and Free Hand are pretty much archetypal progressive rock.

What are the other two top songs, in your opinion?
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 16:57
Originally posted by Olape Olape wrote:

Hi everybody!
Try the Three Piece Suite (Steven Wilson Mix) from this year. A really good selection of songs from the first three GG albums, including a lot of the tracks mentioned here.

That's a really good suggestion! I have seen that album while perusing through albums on Spotify and ITunes. Sucks that the full Three Friends album isn't available on either one of those music places. But TPS has a really good selection of songs from those three albums, Wilson chose the top 3-4 songs from each imo (missing "Wreck though).
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 17:02

What are the other two top songs, in your opinion?

Cogs in Cogs, Free Hand.

moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 30 2017 at 21:51

As the title suggests, I'm looking for Gentle Giant - a band that I want to get into, as I love 70s British prog - songs.

I do not think that GG is a band for you ... and besides ... you have to "ACQUIRE THE TASTE", and you are limiting your taste to something that is not called "Gentle Giant" at all ... I might even suggest to go look under rap somewhere!

Heck, it's time for some soup! Try that Russian Beet soup ... I hear it's healthy and progressive!

Wink
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 07:07
funny ways and giant think of me with kindness
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 08:06
It always baffles me how even the biggest prog fans have an issue "hearing" GG. They are the epitome of progressive music for me, and I don't want to sound judgey by saying this, but do you even like prog if your ears can't handle the peak of said style (IMHO)?

It's like I was looking for GG my entire life, and no other bands delivered. Just my two cents!

Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: December 31 2017 at 23:11
Originally posted by moshkito moshkito wrote:

As the title suggests, I'm looking for Gentle Giant - a band that I want to get into, as I love 70s British prog - songs.

I might even suggest to go look under rap somewhere!

Heck, it's time for some soup! Try that Russian Beet soup ... I hear it's healthy and progressive!

Wink

?? I don't understand that.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 01 2018 at 02:41

Wink

I think he's just doing some friendly teasing! Based on the requests made in this thread, the best elements of GG are being asked to be removed in the opinion of most fans! Kind of like "I want a pizza with no cheese and sauce", so just bread! Smile

The first three records are the sweet spot for such a request.

grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 20:39
giant and prologue
moshkito View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 02 2018 at 21:33

Wink

I think he's just doing some friendly teasing! Based on the requests made in this thread, the best elements of GG are being asked to be removed in the opinion of most fans! Kind of like "I want a pizza with no cheese and sauce", so just bread! Smile

The first three records are the sweet spot for such a request.

It was a tease, but then, GG is the biggest tease of them all when it comes to "progressive". And they are not even heavy on the keyboards like the definition says it's supposed to!

One of the funniest things to listen to, and sooooo GG, is to hear some Italian idiot interview Gary Green, and explain to Gary what "progressive" music is that GG didn't do ... and GG by the end, even said ... we never wrote anything down ... we just played!

To get your head, and thoughts, around that kind of music, is completely contradictory to your request and choice of words for "music" that you would like to listen to.

One just has to open up to very different things ... they are the best of the "arts" in history, and they stand up better than most ... GG is no different in the discussions in this board. Once the taste is acquired, I think a lot of people realized how valuable and important their catalogue was to the discussion of "progressive" ... there really is not a whole lot more "progressive" than GG ... even after the top 3 or 4 ... when it comes to their ability and creativity!
Music is not just for listening ... it is for LIVING ... you got to feel it to know what's it about! Not being told!
www.pedrosena.com
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 03 2018 at 02:15
^To add to this, I find that most bands of that era just "played rock n roll", and the public came up with the labels after the fact. Yes was doing their version of rock and roll. My father insists nobody called it prog rock and they might as well have been emulating the Stones for all anyone knew.

It's really those top tier bands (Yes, Genesis, Gentle Giant, VDGG, etc) that exemplified what we now know and love as prog!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>