Forum Home Forum Home > Other music related lounges > General Music Discussions
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Acid, freak, wyrd folk and related

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 07:25
Just been listening to Paul Roland & The Hellfire Club's album A Cabinet of Curiosities album again, which is not to confused with the Cabinet of Natural Curosities posted a few posts up:

And while I mentioned Exuma in my first post, don't think I mentioned Dr. John, the Night Tripper's Gris-Gris (maybe someone did); it has freak folk qualities.

Did a poll comparing these two acts and used these samples some time back, but it wasn't considered interesting enough to get responses, still mention them here.

Edited by Logan - October 09 2019 at 07:36
Just a fanboy passin' through.
Psychedelic Paul View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 09:46
This is my kind of music, as you probably guessed from my Prog-Folk poll. Smile

I don't think I've heard anyone mention Loudest Whisper so far - they were a rare Prog-Folk/Psych-Folk band from Ireland. Their LP "The Children of Lir" only had 500 pressings and the album was only sold in Ireland, although I was lucky enough to buy it on CD from Amazon. This is the opening track from the album...

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 09 2019 at 09:47
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 10:19
As you're Psychedelic Paul, your folk poll seemed surprisingly light on the psych to me to be honest (course a lot of great acid pysch is not really "prog" per se). Anyway, love that Loudest Whisper. I had heard it before, but not for quite a long time. Thanks.
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 10:51
Originally posted by Logan Logan wrote:

As you're Psychedelic Paul, your folk poll seemed surprisingly light on the psych to me to be honest (course a lot of great acid pysch is not really "prog" per se). Anyway, love that Loudest Whisper. I had heard it before, but not for quite a long time. Thanks.

Not to worry, it's early days yet - I have a new Folk poll coming up soon which WILL feature lots of Acid/Psych-Folk artists, including many of those "wyrd" and wonderful artists you mentioned in my Prog-Folk thread. Smile

I never get tired of listening to that amazing Loudest Whisper album. It's just one of the many hidden treasures of YouTube where I never would have discovered that rare and long-lost album without the help of the Internet.

One of the rarest Folk albums of all time is Susan Christie's "Paint a Lady" album from 1970. There were only three pressings of the album ever made!

Edited by Psychedelic Paul - October 09 2019 at 12:28
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 12:27

I'd like to turn this into a general folk appreciation thread where hopefully many people can banter and discover music that might appeal to their tastes. Maybe I should rename the topic. I'll do a disco one, that might lead to some spirited debate -- although I much prefer dialectic.

I'm looking forward to your Disco topic. Thumbs Up
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote siLLy puPPy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 18:49
There's a lot of great psych folk hidden under the guise of Krautrock as well. This is just one such case that may not technically be completely folk but has a lot of it

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 21:49
I know and like that Broselmaschine, good one.

Plenty of good psych folk in Krautrock and lots I love in Indo-Prog/ Raga Rock.

Mentioned him already, but Sergius Golowin, listed in Krautrock, is a particular favourite. Emtidi's Saat is one of my fave FolKraut (Folk Kraut) ones -- (listed in folk here). I like Emma Myldenberger's Tour de France (listed in Krautrock here).

Edited by Logan - October 09 2019 at 21:55
Logan View Drop Down
Forum & Site Admin Group
Forum & Site Admin Group
Site Admin

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Logan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 09 2019 at 21:59
Originally posted by Psychedelic Paul Psychedelic Paul wrote:

I'd like to turn this into a general folk appreciation thread where hopefully many people can banter and discover music that might appeal to their tastes. Maybe I should rename the topic. I'll do a disco one, that might lead to some spirited debate -- although I much prefer dialectic.

I'm looking forward to your Disco topic. Thumbs Up

I did make a "The Disco Appreciation Thread!!!"
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112593
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Psychedelic Paul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: October 10 2019 at 01:18
[QUOTE=Logan]

I did make a "The Disco Appreciation Thread!!!"
http://www.progarchives.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=112593[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the link. When you mentioned Disco,  Giorgio Moroder and Donna Summer's "I Feel Love" was the first song that came to mind, and purely by coincidence, I noticed you mentioned Giorgio Moroder in the first line of your thread. Smile

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345