Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Prog "One-Hit Wonders" (read before responding)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedProg "One-Hit Wonders" (read before responding)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 14:37
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

There were a number of proto prog groups that had only one album.....Fuschia, Titus Groan, Still Life, Ton Ton Macoute, Indian Summer, etc.....all were decent albums.

You must be a member of progressive ears. That's just about the only site I know of where the members on there consider albums released after 1969/70 to be "proto prog." LOL If you look those bands up on this site you will get a different category.

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 08 2018 at 16:41
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 15:50
Oh no ....been a member here since 2010...don't really post there at all....I consider all those bands that weren't fully symphprog around that time to be proto prog. Some were more toward rock than prog.
But these categories blur depending on personal tastes.
If you listen to those bands I named above.....some of the songs are not very prog like at all....which is why I like to use the proto prog name.
I been around a long time...I'm 66 years old so I was there before any band was called prog.
;)

Edited by dr wu23 - January 08 2018 at 15:55
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
AFlowerKingCrimson View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 16:50
Originally posted by dr wu23 dr wu23 wrote:

Oh no ....been a member here since 2010...don't really post there at all....I consider all those bands that weren't fully symphprog around that time to be proto prog. Some were more toward rock than prog.
But these categories blur depending on personal tastes.
If you listen to those bands I named above.....some of the songs are not very prog like at all....which is why I like to use the proto prog name.
I been around a long time...I'm 66 years old so I was there before any band was called prog.
;)

So  you were into prog in the sixties? LOL  To me the only true prog bands before the "red faced album" were the Nice and the Canterbury bands. I agree most of it was proto but then at some point they splintered into other subgenres. If you want to call it proto prog that's cool but there has come to be a consensus from what I understand that proto is typically pre "red faced guy." :) I won't split hairs about it though. I mentioned PE because they even had a list of 100 so proto prog albums but these days not everyone on there considers albums like Spring or Cressida or Gnidrolog or Beggar's Opera or whoever to be proto prog. In my opinion(and something they mentioned on there as well)a better term for some of them anyway is "early prog." So for me personally pre "red face" is proto and post is "early prog." That's what works for me. I guess some see it as a chronological thing and to others it's more of a sound thing. Ultimately I go by what it says on here(although I can see both points). http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=37 

Edited by AFlowerKingCrimson - January 08 2018 at 16:54
The Dark Elf View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 17:46
Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Anderson-Ponty Band did one release, "Better Late Than Never," before vanishing.  

True story: I was walking through a Kohl's Department Store with my wife and a song from that album came on. Weirdest thing ever.
...a vigorous circular motion hitherto unknown to the people of this area, but destined
to take the place of the mud shark in your mythology...
cstack3 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 08 2018 at 22:23
Originally posted by The Dark Elf The Dark Elf wrote:

Originally posted by cstack3 cstack3 wrote:

Anderson-Ponty Band did one release, "Better Late Than Never," before vanishing.  

True story: I was walking through a Kohl's Department Store with my wife and a song from that album came on. Weirdest thing ever.

LOL Great story!!  I've got the CD, even saw them in concert, and am not sure I'd recognize anything from the CD!  I guess I should listen to it a few times! 
I am not a Robot, I'm a FREE MAN!!
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 06:37
I like the fact that apparently pretty much everyone who did something great in prog did more or much more. Much of what is suggested here is either rather obscure or done by musicians who did many other things before or after. One could argue that great prog is nothing that somebody could do as a one-off without becoming addicted or committed to it. That's not a bad thing to say about prog in my book.
Erwaco View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 11:52
Carson actually put out a solo effort known as john Carson's Hypermania a few years after leaving Arena.
erwaco
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 09 2018 at 21:24
"So  you were into prog in the sixties? LOL  To me the only true prog bands before the "red faced album" were the Nice and the Canterbury bands. I agree most of it was proto but then at some point they splintered into other subgenres. If you want to call it proto prog that's cool but there has come to be a consensus from what I understand that proto is typically pre "red faced guy." :) I won't split hairs about it though. I mentioned PE because they even had a list of 100 so proto prog albums but these days not everyone on there considers albums like Spring or Cressida or Gnidrolog or Beggar's Opera or whoever to be proto prog. In my opinion(and something they mentioned on there as well)a better term for some of them anyway is "early prog." So for me personally pre "red face" is proto and post is "early prog." That's what works for me. I guess some see it as a chronological thing and to others it's more of a sound thing. Ultimately I go by what it says on here(although I can see both points). http://www.progarchives.com/subgenre.asp?style=37 "
------

It is a sound thing for me .....but I certainly can understand why some want to date it before and after ITCOTCK...but to me many of those early prog things sound far more proto prog than they do prog rock.
And as I said some don't even sound very proggy at all yet they manage to end up here on PA.
Go figure....
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12