Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Bands, Artists and Genres Appreciation
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Strawbs/Dave Cousins Appreciation Thread!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 04:17
The thing I like the most about Ferryman's Curse is that it's undoubtedly "Strawbs sounding" but also remarkably fresh sounding. The hallmark of a good album, I should think. 
This message was brought to you by a proud supporter of the Deep State.
kenethlevine View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 12:25
so what's your favorite track from each album, if you had to pick one today?

Strawbs - Oh How she Changed
Dragonfly - Another Day
Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios - Where is this Dream of your Youth
From the Witchwood - A Glimpse of Heaven
Grave New World - Benedictus
Bursting at the Seams - I like almost every song equally but probably Lay Down
Hero and Heroine - Autumn
Ghosts - Grace Darling
Nomadness - Hanging in the Gallery
Deep Cuts - Simple Visions
Burning for You - Burning foe me
Deadlines - Joey and Me
Heartbreak Hill - Another Day without you
Don't Day Goodbye - Let it Rain
Ringing Down the Years - The King
Blue Angel - There will come the day
Deja Fou - Under a cloudless sky
Broken Hearted Bride - Through Aphrodite's Eyes
Dancing to the Devil's Beat - Where Silent Shadows Fall
Ferryman's Curse - When the Spirit Moves
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 12:38
Strawbs - The Battle
Dragonfly - Another Day
Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios - Where is this Dream of your Youth
From the Witchwood - Witchwood
Grave New World - Benedictus
Bursting at the Seams - Down BY The Sea
Hero and Heroine - Autumn
Ghosts - Ghosts
Deep Cuts - Simple Visions
Burning for You - Burning For Me
Deadlines - Heartbreaker
Heartbreak Hill - Starting Over
Don't Day Goodbye - Let it Rain
Ringing Down the Years - Ringing Down The Years
Blue Angel - There will come the day
Deja Fou - Under a cloudless sky
Broken Hearted Bride - The Broken Hearted Bride
Dancing to the Devil's Beat - Where Silent Shadows Fall
Ferryman's Curse - When the Spirit Moves
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 12:48
lots of common ones there Steve.  Note that "Heartbreaker" is from "Burning for you" not Deadlines.  It's possibly my second fave off Burning although that might be "Barcarole"
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 13:33
Originally posted by kenethlevine kenethlevine wrote:

lots of common ones there Steve.  Note that "Heartbreaker" is from "Burning for you" not Deadlines.  It's possibly my second fave off Burning although that might be "Barcarole"
I thought it might be so strike out "Heatbreaker" and insert "No Return" for Deadlines.

I really loath these albums: Deadlines, Burning For You and Deep Cuts, so I'm just glad I was close!
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 15:37
I thought I would add my humble opinions to this great thread. I was planning to come up with my favourite two from each album anyway - so apologies for doubling up. Take my first choice for comparison, if necessary. Very difficult to choose only two, let alone one, with the classic era. A bit easier on some later albums. I've stuck with your album choices, although various live albums, reissues and acoustic releases could be included, but perhaps another time for those.

Strawbs - The Battle/The Man Who Called Himself Jesus
Dragonfly - Another Day/The Weary Song
Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios - The Antique Suite/Where Is This Dream Of Your Youth
From the Witchwood - A Glimpse of Heaven/The Hangman And The Papist
Grave New World - New World/Benedictus
Bursting at the Seams - Down By The Sea/Lay Down
Hero and Heroine - Round and Round/Autumn
Ghosts - Ghosts/Grace Darling
Nomadness - To Be Free/The Golden Salamander
Deep Cuts - Simple Visions/I Only Want My Love To Grow In You
Burning for You - Burning For Me/Heartbreaker
Deadlines - Time And Life/Words Of Wisdom
Heartbreak Hill - Heartbreak Hill/Something For Nothing
Don't Say Goodbye - Beat The Retreat/Let It Rain
Ringing Down the Years - Ringing Down The Years/Grace Darling (alternate version)
Blue Angel - There Will Come The Day/Blue Angel (although not quite as good as the original version)
Deja Fou - Under A Cloudless Sky/Here Today Gone Tomorrow
Broken Hearted Bride - The Broken Hearted Bride/Through Aphrodite's Eyes
Dancing to the Devil's Beat - Where Silent Shadows Fall/Pro Patria Suite
Ferryman's Curse - When the Spirit Moves/The Familiarity Of Old Lovers
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 18:35
Originally posted by SteveG SteveG wrote:

I thought it might be so strike out "Heatbreaker" and insert "No Return" for Deadlines.

I really loath these albums: Deadlines, Burning For You and Deep Cuts, so I'm just glad I was close!

can't say I loathe any Strawbs album, but Heartbreak Hill is IMO the weakest, with nothing on it I ever really need to hear.  Sure it's proggier than the other late 1970s stuff, but it's prog by numbers, not prog a la Strawbs.  After that, Nomadness and Deep Cuts are both pretty weak IMO, with Burning and Deadlines somewhat better

Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 18:37
Originally posted by Squonk19 Squonk19 wrote:

I thought I would add my humble opinions to this great thread. I was planning to come up with my favourite two from each album anyway - so apologies for doubling up. Take my first choice for comparison, if necessary. Very difficult to choose only two, let alone one, with the classic era. A bit easier on some later albums. I've stuck with your album choices, although various live albums, reissues and acoustic releases could be included, but perhaps another time for those.

Strawbs - The Battle/The Man Who Called Himself Jesus
Dragonfly - Another Day/The Weary Song
Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios - The Antique Suite/Where Is This Dream Of Your Youth
From the Witchwood - A Glimpse of Heaven/The Hangman And The Papist
Grave New World - New World/Benedictus
Bursting at the Seams - Down By The Sea/Lay Down
Hero and Heroine - Round and Round/Autumn
Ghosts - Ghosts/Grace Darling
Nomadness - To Be Free/The Golden Salamander
Deep Cuts - Simple Visions/I Only Want My Love To Grow In You
Burning for You - Burning For Me/Heartbreaker
Deadlines - Time And Life/Words Of Wisdom
Heartbreak Hill - Heartbreak Hill/Something For Nothing
Don't Say Goodbye - Beat The Retreat/Let It Rain
Ringing Down the Years - Ringing Down The Years/Grace Darling (alternate version)
Blue Angel - There Will Come The Day/Blue Angel (although not quite as good as the original version)
Deja Fou - Under A Cloudless Sky/Here Today Gone Tomorrow
Broken Hearted Bride - The Broken Hearted Bride/Through Aphrodite's Eyes
Dancing to the Devil's Beat - Where Silent Shadows Fall/Pro Patria Suite
Ferryman's Curse - When the Spirit Moves/The Familiarity Of Old Lovers

def seeing some recurring themes here.  I'm most surprised with the title cut from Broken Hearted Bride being picked over tracks like Call to Action or thru Aphrodite's Eyes.  I think it's a straightforward rocker although perhaps better handled here than in the past by Strawbs.  In agreement that "Here today gone tomorrow" is one of the best from Deja Fou.  It's kind of like the type of ballad they tried to do on Deep Cuts or Burning for you but failed miserably (So Close and Yet so Far Away or Goodbye).   I'm glad "Let it Rain" seems a favorite in its Don't say Goodbye incarnation.  Nice to see Lay Down get some love from prog fans, and seems that "When the Spirit Moves" is the clear winner from Ferryman's Curse, though "Familiarity of Old Lovers" is also my second choice.

I agree we could certainly do some stuff with other live albums, or a taste of strawbs.  Thanks for the contributions, let's hear from some more folks!

Edited by kenethlevine - January 22 2018 at 18:43
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Walkscore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 22 2018 at 19:25
I love that (the) Strawbs are still able to create lasting music of real meaning. 

Here are my favs (I like all the tunes everyone lists, but I have my own favs):

Strawbs - Poor Jimmy Wilson
Dragonfly - Young Again/ Vision of the Lady in the Lake
Just a Collection of Antiques and Curios - Fingertips
From the Witchwood - In Amongst the Roses
Grave New World - New World/ Hey Little Man
Bursting at the Seams - The River/ Down by the Sea
Hero and Heroine - Round and Round
Ghosts - Life Auction
Deep Cuts - Beside the Rio Grande
Burning for You - Burning For Me
Deadlines - Deadly Nightshade
Heartbreak Hill - Heartbreak Hill
Don't Day Goodbye - Evergreen
Ringing Down the Years - Ringing Down The Years
Blue Angel - Blue Angel (I really like this version!)
Deja Fou - Face Down in the Well
Broken Hearted Bride - Through Aphrodite's Eyes
Dancing to the Devil's Beat - Copenhagen
Ferryman's Curse - (I haven't decided yet!)
Squonk19 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Squonk19 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 00:04
I do have a soft spot for the title track off Broken Hearted Bride. It is a simple, catchy tune with, once again, some intriguing lyrics. Call to Action is another good track (and its later reprise), although the Eastern instrumental theme can dominate occasionally. It is nice to hear the occasional shorter, bouncy track as a counter-balance to the more epic songs. I Only Want My Love To Grow In You is an example of a song, clearly written to a commercial template, but which has a chorus that sticks in my head for ages. The Strawbs' diversity in style is their great strength, although ultimately that probably cost them the size of following their canon of work deserves.
“Living in their pools, they soon forget about the sea.”
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 04:05
Aside from the catchy guitar and high hat melody, "Broken Hearted Bride" is a fantastic story song with a typical Cousins' lyrical twist as the bride is left waiting at the alter because the groom blew himself up with a suicide bomb on the way to the wedding!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 11:20
Just listened their latest album first time and really have to say I liked it! Itīs very warm and good-sounding! And Cousins vocals as great as always!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 13:09
Originally posted by Mortte Mortte wrote:

Just listened their latest album first time and really have to say I liked it! Itīs very warm and good-sounding! And Cousins vocals as great as always!
hope you can do a review!
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 23 2018 at 23:32

hope you can do a review!
Well, it will take a while, because I had to listen it many times, I just listened it once. But maybe someday, if someone elseīs hadnīt still made.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 03:46
^Just looked from the PA that there has made many reviews from Ferryman. I have made reviews mostly the albums that no-one else has reviewed. I am not as huge Strawbs-fan as those others who have already reviewed it, so I donīt think I have nothing new to say about it.
SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 04:00
^ You can't be more honest then that! Good show!
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 12:03

^Just looked from the PA that there has made many reviews from Ferryman. I have made reviews mostly the albums that no-one else has reviewed. I am not as huge Strawbs-fan as those others who have already reviewed it, so I donīt think I have nothing new to say about it.

only 3 reviews, many ratings.  But thanks for considering and being willing to give it the time to listen
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mortte Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 24 2018 at 23:18

only 3 reviews, many ratings.  But thanks for considering and being willing to give it the time to listen
Well, I hope if you have time and interest, to make a review from Absoluuttinen Nollapiste, Circle, Jambinai and Hawkwind last release. Only I have made a review from those great albums.
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Prog-Folk Team

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kenethlevine Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 04 2018 at 23:55
glowing reviews continue to pour in for Ferryman's Curse, probably the best received album since the band's heyday

Here are a few

SteveG View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SteveG Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: February 05 2018 at 04:09
I'm sure it's on Strawbs' facebook page, but there's no mention yet on the Strawbs' Website of the passing of Chris Tsangarides, who produced the last 3 Strawbs studio albums, on January 6. That's not like Dave C., who is quite sensitive in regard to people passing on. Tsangarides was known as metal producer having recorded Thin Lizzy and Iron Maiden, amongst many, many other hard rock and metal acts. 

Edited by SteveG - February 05 2018 at 04:23
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 6>