Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedCould prog rock have been called "indie"?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 07:31
Indie is about as terrible as a genre label as Prog, referring to on what kind of label a musician publishes rather than to what the music actually is.

I'd think Indie fans have the same kind of tedious discussions "are XYZ a true Indie band" and some will argue that the word means independent, and XYZ are indeed independent of major labels, and some others argue that it's a label for a certain sound/style and one should stick to that, and therefore XYZ are not Indie because they sound like the Poor Man's Pink Floyd.
So had Prog been labelled Indie (and Indie Prog instead Wacko ) nobody would be better off, or worse for that matter, and the world would still be the same place.
Jeffro View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 07:48
True. Labels suck mostly but we are a society that desires to label things so here we are.
We all live in an amber subdomain, amber subdomain, amber subdomain.

My face IS a maserati
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 07:53
Originally posted by Lewian Lewian wrote:

Indie is about as terrible as a genre label as Prog, referring to on what kind of label a musician publishes rather than to what the music actually is.

I'd think Indie fans have the same kind of tedious discussions "are XYZ a true Indie band" and some will argue that the word means independent, and XYZ are indeed independent of major labels, and some others argue that it's a label for a certain sound/style and one should stick to that, and therefore XYZ are not Indie because they sound like the Poor Man's Pink Floyd.
So had Prog been labelled Indie (and Indie Prog instead Wacko ) nobody would be better off, or worse for that matter, and the world would still be the same place.

Agreed. The problem is that these things aren't systematically planned out. Somehow they just catch on and take on a life of their own. Another one that makes zero sense is "alternative" which was fine when that type of music was underground but once it became mainstream bands like Nirvana and others should have been relabled but that doesn't sound good does it? Marketing is a very powerfully strange force indeed.

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 08:07
I thought Nirvana was Grunge though, which in my view scores somewhat higher on the genre label score.
siLLy puPPy View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
PSIKE, JRF/Canterbury, P Metal, Eclectic

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 08:11
^ Yeah, it became grunge but initially was "alternative." Bad example but you get my drift

https://rateyourmusic.com/~siLLy_puPPy
axeman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 22:57
I agree about the label "progressive rock" being meaningful. 

In the 90s, on usenet, I started checking out a newsgroup called alt.rock.progressive. People liked Genesis, people liked Yes, people liked King Crimson, people liked Steve Hackett, and I learned of some other bands to try out, Henry Cow, Echolyn, etc.. All who appealed to me by their complexity of music. Only heard of Gentile Giant, but they were obscure. At that time all I had ever heard was the post-prog "Number one" (which I liked) and Giant for a Day. 

In the later 90s, I found a streaming station Progrock.com. Genesis, Yes, King Crimson, Hackett, other bands. Learned of Spock's Beard, Rocket Scientists, Jadis, and finally got to hear some Gentle Giant (until recently, their music was hard to get a hold of!)

Many years later, I found this site Prograrchives.com. "Progressive", "prog" have been instrumental labels in helping me find music I want to listen to. Even though there are always questions of whether "progressive rock" is "progressive" or not, and what is and isn't prog at every single site and forum. 

YMMV on group by group, but for the most part, those labels have been instrumental in learning out this general type of music which offers "more to listen to", as I describe it. 
-John
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 10:12
Most Prog today is, by definition, Indie: i.e. - music released on an independent label. It's underground status also helps.
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:45
Not when the powers-that-be, colossal record company backed the big acts
early on. Of course, the record biz has changed dramatically since then taking on attributes of an indie industry.
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Tapfret View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator / Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 12:06
Originally posted by Jeffro Jeffro wrote:

True. Labels suck mostly but we are a society that desires to label things so here we are.

We have to have some level of descriptor. How far can we reel back the label? Just call it music? That doesn't help people to understand anything about it. And some would even have a problem with that label. I guess we would have to call it sound. No, we need descriptor hierarchies to lead us in the right direction to things we might enjoy. I don't want to have to wade through a bunch of country and hip hop to get to something with frequent key changes and rhythmic modulation. Prog is as good an umbrella as any to put it under.

Indie on the other hand tells me nothing about what it will actually sound like.

To answer the op....no.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12