Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Music Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedDoes Prog have an Uncanny Valley?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Does Prog have an Uncanny Valley?
    Posted: January 15 2018 at 12:30

Does prog have an uncanny valley? The uncanny valley is the notion that an object such as a robot or computer animation that is almost but not quite human-like will evoke feelings of eeriness or revulsion more so than a corresponding object that is less human-like (or more human-like). I'm using the term loosely to describe a parallel notion whereby modern prog that sounds almost but not quite like classic prog may evoke revulsion compared to modern prog that makes little attempt to sound like classic prog. Do you find it irritating when modern prog attempts to recreate the sound of classic prog but for whatever reason doesn't quite sound like it is classic prog?

I personally don't think that prog has an uncanny valley. Although I may consider how close a particular modern album is to the classic sound, I don't judge the album on that criterion. But modern albums that sound similar to the classic sound may lack originality, and that does affect how I view the album, usually negatively.

No, I know how to behave in the restaurant now, I don't tear at the meat with my hands. If I've become a man of the world somehow, that's not necessarily to say I'm a worldly man.
JD View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:13
Since the idea of the Uncanny Valley really is more tied to the visual sense than the auditory sense It's hard to make a comparison. I suppose in the abstract way you describe it my vote would be for something like The Flower Kings. The feeling that they are near but not quite in the true realm of prog might fit. But that will no doubt enrage Flower King fans. It is an interesting question though.

After some consideration I'm afraid I have to say NO. Prog doesn't have an Uncanny Valley.

Edited by JD - January 15 2018 at 17:14
Thank you for supporting independently produced music
stegor View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 20:27
The Residents. Not quite human sounding, but just human sounding enough to make you feel queasy.
Not exactly what you had in mind as far as Neo-Prog vs. Classic Prog goes, but I do think they invoke a bit of the uncanny valley response.
Manuel View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 21:40
I think this is a subjective matter, and it'll bring a lot of opinions as if it has or not an uncanny valley. Some people like to express their opinions on these matters in a very emphatic way. I myself prefer to enjoy the music as it comes. If I like it, it does not matter if it's close enough to the classic period prog or not, if it's trying to emulate that sound, or if it wants to go in a completely different direction. Lately, I just want to have fun while listening music, and I do my best not over-analyzing it.

Edited by Manuel - January 15 2018 at 21:41
miamiscot View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 10:18
Starcastle?
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 12:00
What?
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
Mascodagama View Drop Down
Collaborator
Collaborator
Honorary Collaborator

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 16:10
This could be why I vomit live chihuahuas when I hear England's Garden Shed.
Soldato of the Pan Head Mafia. We'll make you an offer you can't listen to.
Bandcamp Profile
ForestFriend View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 20:00
I don't know if I'd really call it the uncanny valley effect. I don't think I've even listened to a modern album/song and thought that it would be improved if it were less like 70s prog.

That being said, there are some albums out there which sound like 70s prog, but might be overproduced, or just lack the songwriting or musicianship compared to the some of the classics, etc. If it had a more modern prog sound, or not even prog at all, those deficiencies would still be there.
HackettFan View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 21:45
Originally posted by I prophesy disaster I prophesy disaster wrote:

Do you find it irritating when modern prog attempts to recreate the sound of classic prog but for whatever reason doesn't quite sound like it is classic prog?

Given a lot of PA posts, I'd say so. For me, however, it depends on the reason that it might not quite sound like classic Prog, so I'd say no. A lot of times with Big Big Train and older Pendragon, they sound musically uninteresting to me. The Flower Kings seem musically interesting, but somehow the drama and intrigue seems lacking. Spock's Beard has too much that sounds dissonant to my ears. Anglagard sounds just wonderful to me, but it sounds exactly like classic prog. Steve Wilson's latest couple albums sound great to me, but I think people overestimate how much it is like classic prog.
A curse upon the heads of those who seek their fortunes in a lie. The truth is always waiting when there's nothing left to try. - Colin Henson, Jade Warrior (Now)
Lewian View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 07:16
I'm not terribly interested in much of modern prog that sounds very much but not quite like classic prog. But for sure I don't find it irritating. They can do it night and day if they like, I'm not bothered. Thre's so much worse.
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 20:10
Interesting. Could you explain?
Walkscore View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 20:11
Sorry - I was trying to post that question in relation to the comment about England's Garden Shed. What is it about that album that produces the uncanny feeling?
BaldJean View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 17 2018 at 20:26
no. what is uncanny about modern prog is its inhumanity, which is just the opposite of what the uncanny valley is about. what I mean is the strife for perfection in production. the more perfect a recording is the less human does it sound

Edited by BaldJean - January 17 2018 at 20:30

A shot of me as High Priestess of Gaia during our fall festival. Ceterum censeo principiis obsta
Guldbamsen View Drop Down
Special Collaborator
Special Collaborator
Retired Admin

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 18 2018 at 03:03
I am the other way around. I prefer my Prog, like in retro-prog, to sound like the olden days. Far too much retro-prog is disguised behind modern production values, metal riffs and those horrendously sung European Song Contest verses.
That is actually what Wobbler and several other Scandinavian bands are doing right these days: the production. The warmth and honesty of 70s prog rock. -And people are falling heads over heels for it. I don't blame em either.

As for pushing things forth and treading new ground? I tend to look elsewhere. Often it's band that don't necessarily fall under the prog umbrella who are doing the truly adventurous things these days.
“The Guide says there is an art to flying or rather a knack. The knack lies in learning how to throw yourself at the ground and miss.”

- Douglas Adams
 Post Reply Post Reply