Forum Home Forum Home > Progressive Music Lounges > Prog Recommendations/Featured albums
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Topic ClosedGenesis (and then there were three )

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Topic: Genesis (and then there were three )
    Posted: January 15 2018 at 15:23
a very charming and warmer sounding record ,after several listening s i would make the call that as now 3 guys left in an all encompassing trio "although i am unsure if there were other studio musicians present ,for this record ,i must say its is probably, the most mature sounding record with prog leanings, well as their first foray into the pop world e.g FOLLOW YOU FOLLOW ME.The thing that gets me i don,t really know what all the songs are about, the magic of that time, before the internet,is where you had to visualize and imagine what they were singing about ,i brought this cd on the strong recommendation of a friend ,who brought as one of the first records he brought of genesis anyways on the whole a really fine album best tracks UNDERTOW,DEEP IN THE MOTHERLODE ,SCENES FROM A NIGHT,S DREAM also of course the epic BURNING ROPE,i know it isn,t SUPPER,S READY but this is not bad, again thank you for taking the time to read GRANT

Edited by grantman - January 15 2018 at 15:25
noni View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 15:28
Not a huge fan of the trio band.  Much prefer the band with Steve Hackett and Peter Gabriel in it!   Wink
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 15:44
Overall, the 1st bittersweet Genesis album I experienced.  Up till then I loved everything Genesis did (or at least tolerated songs like I Know What I Like & Your Own Special Way).  When ATTWT came out I remember being pleasantly surprised that Rutherford did such a good job filling Steve Hackett's space.  While I loved Down & Out, Deep in the Motherlode, Undertow, Snowbound & Many Too Many I absolutely hated Follow You Follow Me and Say it's Alright Joe.  Then with Duke, Abacab & 'Shapes' I liked less and less and hated more and more until I couldn't be bothered to care about them anymore.  Such a sad ending to such a great band Disapprove

Edited by The.Crimson.King - January 15 2018 at 15:45
jorgenyesis View Drop Down
Forum Newbie
Forum Newbie

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 15:51
A great piece of music, only light years away from the essence of genesis
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:22
Originally posted by The.Crimson.King The.Crimson.King wrote:

Overall, the 1st bittersweet Genesis album I experienced.  Up till then I loved everything Genesis did (or at least tolerated songs like I Know What I Like & Your Own Special Way).  When ATTWT came out I remember being pleasantly surprised that Rutherford did such a good job filling Steve Hackett's space.  While I loved Down & Out, Deep in the Motherlode, Undertow, Snowbound & Many Too Many I absolutely hated Follow You Follow Me and Say it's Alright Joe.  Then with Duke, Abacab & 'Shapes' I liked less and less and hated more and more until I couldn't be bothered to care about them anymore.  Such a sad ending to such a great band Disapprove

IN YOUR OPINION. And you're certainly entitled to it, I just don't happen to agree. :p  I love the 'Shapes' album, and I even love.. *looks around* Invisible Touch! - yeah I've already handed in my prog card lol, don't worry. 

As for ATTWT, I think it's a great album all the way through. I love Follow You Follow Me. - Hey I already handed in my prog card, what more do you all want lol. 
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 17:29
I love pretty much everything Genesis has ever done, both Gabriel symphonic era and Collins 80's synth pop rock era.

In regards to ATTWT, I give them mad props for persisting despite massive set backs. Those chaps can write songs regardless of the circumstances, and that record proves it IMHO.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
The.Crimson.King View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 19:36
Originally posted by YESESIS YESESIS wrote:

Such a sad ending to such a great band Disapprove
IN YOUR OPINION

Of course.  Every post on PA is preceded by an implied IMHO LOL
Barbu View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 20:03
Always a good listen imho.
YESESIS View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 20:22

Such a sad ending to such a great band Disapprove
IN YOUR OPINION

Of course.  Every post on PA is preceded by an implied IMHO LOL

Oh ok, my bad. I just get touchy because I keep seeing those albums slammed over and over on here.. and I love them lol(I actually really do enjoy Invisible Touch a lot). Oh well, this is a prog forum and so I suppose it makes sense. 
Dellinger View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member
VIP Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 20:41
A very different sounding album to anything before of after it, and it's got some very good and interesting pieces. I can't help but think of ELP when I hear this songs, mostly knowing they are in the same format, and many of the songs are really proggy, and perhaps this is the album in which Tony Banks played the crazier kind of keyboards instead of the more melodic ones he has us used to.
Mortte View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 15 2018 at 22:29
Never get into this album fully. Gabriel-era has been the greatest to me, but I have always liked Trick of the Tail and Wind and Wuthering. Also I prefer more Duke and Abacab. And then there were is in the same level to me as s/t, Invisible Touch and We Can´t Dance. Not bad albums, but...
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 03:29
The first Genesis album I heard in full. It has some weak points, but overall I love it. Down & Out, Undertow & Burning Rope are among their best songs IMO. 4 stars.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
M27Barney View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 04:50
Not listened to the vinyl album since 1980 and possibly not listened to the CD incarnation for 20 years! Was this the 2nd pop-prog album? (I always consider DSOTM as pop-prog - very accessible for non Floyd fans - who still hated WYWH and animals) - probably not...but the short-song format and lyrical content is outside of the far superior music that preceded it! Some nice melodies if I recall - a massive pop hit in "Follow you Follow Me" - My wife loves that song - we first-danced to that at my wedding in 1988.....I don't suppose we could have first danced to apocalypse in 9/8 could we....
Blacksword View Drop Down
Prog Reviewer
Prog Reviewer

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 05:08
Originally posted by M27Barney M27Barney wrote:

Not listened to the vinyl album since 1980 and possibly not listened to the CD incarnation for 20 years! Was this the 2nd pop-prog album? (I always consider DSOTM as pop-prog - very accessible for non Floyd fans - who still hated WYWH and animals) - probably not...but the short-song format and lyrical content is outside of the far superior music that preceded it! Some nice melodies if I recall - a massive pop hit in "Follow you Follow Me" - My wife loves that song - we first-danced to that at my wedding in 1988.....I don't suppose we could have first danced to apocalypse in 9/8 could we....

Pop/prog is probably a reasonably fair description of ATTWT. Some of the tracks have an epic prog feel; Burning Rope, The Lady Lies and Deep in the Motherlode, but the melodies are accessable and the songs relatively short. It comes in for a lot of flak from prog purists, understandably perhaps, but I don't think it's an embarassament like some of their later albums were.
Ultimately bored by endless ecstasy!
Frenetic Zetetic View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 05:09
^The Lady Lies is an awesome, catchy prog song IMHO. Might be my favorite from that record.

"I am so prog, I listen to concept albums on shuffle." -KMac2021
dr wu23 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 09:00
I sometimes play it for background music when I'm cleaning the house.

;)
One does nothing yet nothing is left undone.
Haquin
grantman View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 09:10
yes makes for a inspiring clean
Rednight View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 11:21
Originally posted by Frenetic Zetetic Frenetic Zetetic wrote:

^The Lady Lies is an awesome, catchy prog song IMHO. Might be my favorite from that record.
Sir, you have grit. 'Lies is indeed awesome and happens to be the proggiest composition on 'Three (and the live version from that box set wails).
"It just has none of the qualities of your work that I find interesting. Abandon [?] it." - Eno
mlkpad14 View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 12:50

IN YOUR OPINION. And you're certainly entitled to it, I just don't happen to agree. :p  I love the 'Shapes' album, and I even love.. *looks around* Invisible Touch! - yeah I've already handed in my prog card lol, don't worry. 

As for ATTWT, I think it's a great album all the way through. I love Follow You Follow Me. - Hey I already handed in my prog card, what more do you all want lol. 

Yeah, Abacab is also a brilliant piece, and highly recommended.
https://gamecrazyprofessional.weebly.com/
verslibre View Drop Down
Forum Senior Member
Forum Senior Member

Direct Link To This Post Posted: January 16 2018 at 14:48
...ATTWT is one of Genesis' best albums. Not sure why some people want to argue that.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>